Sign in to follow this  
ogremage

Building a cheap rig for my child to play WoT on

27 posts in this topic

One of my children actually enjoys playing a bit of WoT but if my computer is busy then only has a very old laptop which runs it at 15 fps on minimum settings (yes, I guess I could work on compressing textures, but it will never approach anything smooth).

So I'm thinking I'll build something not terribly expensive, upgrading my GTX 760 to GTX 1060 and my 840 EVO 256 GB to a 1TB 850 EVO or MX300 in the process (and reusing the old components for his computer).

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (€58.00) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€75.00) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€27.00) 
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Case: Silverstone - Sugo SG13WB-Q Mini ITX Tower Case  (€56.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€68.00) 
Monitor: BenQ - GL2760H 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  (€148.00) 
Total: €432.90

 

This is what I've come up with - thoughts?

Is MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X a good option for my 4790K rig (I run a 4K monitor but run WoT windowed so I can switch to TS / etc. at times)? One that would be compatible with upcoming HD maps...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An extra stick of 4gb ram prob would help hugely.

 

Also, 550W gold PSW seems drastically overkill for the cpu and gpu. (according to bench 760 peaks at 160watt and 4560 caps at 57watt)

 

I run with a i3 4160 with 8gb ram and 1050ti and at 110fps on minimum setting with my fps bottlenecked by my cpu, so your setup should be able to run at 100+ fps just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I can probably get another stick of RAM or scavenge it from some of my other systems. 
PSU is an interesting topic, I would get a cheaper good one if it will work too, but when looking at various lists the "good ones" were 550+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ogremage said:

One of my children actually enjoys playing a bit of WoT but if my computer is busy then only has a very old laptop which runs it at 15 fps on minimum settings (yes, I guess I could work on compressing textures, but it will never approach anything smooth).

So I'm thinking I'll build something not terribly expensive, upgrading my GTX 760 to GTX 1060 and my 840 EVO 256 GB to a 1TB 850 EVO or MX300 in the process (and reusing the old components for his computer).

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (€58.00) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€75.00) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€27.00) 
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Case: Silverstone - Sugo SG13WB-Q Mini ITX Tower Case  (€56.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€68.00) 
Monitor: BenQ - GL2760H 27.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  (€148.00) 
Total: €432.90

 

This is what I've come up with - thoughts?

Is MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X a good option for my 4790K rig (I run a 4K monitor but run WoT windowed so I can switch to TS / etc. at times)? One that would be compatible with upcoming HD maps...?

What you put together isn't unreasonable but maybe not the wisest of choices. How old is your kid and what else is it doing with the PC???

 

Personally I 'd think about a different approach. Buy the basics with upgradability in mind, meaning get a decent case (mid tower ATX with 165mm clearance for CPU coolers and 340+mm for GPU) a good PSU (Corsair CSM ... nope), use your GTX760 and hop over to ebay to get a used bundle of 2500K/3570K + mobo + RAM (8-16GB DDR3). When the child is older you just swap CPU/mobo/RAM and maybe GPU. With an ITX build you will always be constrained one way or the other.

 

That aside:

  • flash the latest firmware for the 840Evo
  • kids have good eyes (usually) - fullHD @27" will look "pixelated", I'd go for 23-25" and full HD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally will not recommend cheaping out on the PSU as far as "quality". 550W is rather large for your system, so I'd look for something with high quality around 400w. In terms of gaming, honestly adding another stick wont make a huge difference in terms of FPS but would matter in productivity

Case wise, the 200R is hard to beat and around the same price (NA, at least).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add another 4gb stick, so WoT doesn't starts to give "insufficient memory pls restart game blyat" message and to avoid crashes, especially if you plan on running mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Strigonx said:

Add another 4gb stick, so WoT doesn't starts to give "insufficient memory pls restart game blyat" message and to avoid crashes, especially if you plan on running mods.

4GB is sufficient for WOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheMarine0341 said:

4GB is sufficient for WOT

But not really optimal, besides if he wants to run other things more demanding than WoT 4 gigs will not be adequate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

And havi´ng a browser with some windows and other crap in the background will lead to issues. Just go 8GB.

Oh I agree, but then again 16GB is better still but then out of budget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

Add another 4gb stick, so WoT doesn't starts to give "insufficient memory pls restart game blyat" message and to avoid crashes, especially if you plan on running mods.

Almost got some coffee out my nose with that message...can i edit my client to say that? I get it daily but adding in the blyat would be perfect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your comments.

I can get 8 GB of RAM, no problem.

However, there isn't that much desk space and my gf really wants a small form factor case (it's a cosmetic factor and when I'm building systems for myself I go full ATX tower but here they want a small cute case and it's not worth my nerve cells to argue).

On PSU I'm still not sure why the Corsair w/ Gold isn't high enough quality and what exactly to get if not it. The Corsair was in some top PSU list on Anand or Tom's that's why I picked it.

I run Silverstone - Nightjar 520W 80+ in my home system but that's 2x more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ogremage said:

However, there isn't that much desk space and my gf really wants a small form factor case (it's a cosmetic factor and when I'm building systems for myself I go full ATX tower but here they want a small cute case and it's not worth my nerve cells to argue).

µATX in that "case". Still offers expansion options with less space required

 

Quote

On PSU I'm still not sure why the Corsair w/ Gold isn't high enough quality and what exactly to get if not it. The Corsair was in some top PSU list on Anand or Tom's that's why I picked it.

I run Silverstone - Nightjar 520W 80+ in my home system but that's 2x more expensive.

Corsair has some really good PSU lines (AX/HX/RM) with good quality components and build quality. The whole "Cxx" lineup on the other hand is budget class at best in my book. The Nightjar 520 you are using is probably a Seasonic design/build, which plays in a totally different league than anything that starts with "C" as a model number on Corsairs side.

Get a Seasonic Bronze (semi/modular) with 2x 8pins and around 500-650W, if you plan to "future proof" the build (or gold if you want to spend more money), otherwise 400W will do the trick. Below 400W there are slim pickings when it comes to quality.

 

https://geizhals.de/seasonic-g-series-g-450-450w-atx-2-3-ssr-450rm-a830685.html?hloc=de

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't think you need a monitor that big, a 23-24" one should be fine honestly.

thats all I really need to add that hasn't been said already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think one of the newer i3s would be worthwhile if your child ever decides to play something more than WoT, but since the architecture is dead next year anyways, I see no reason not to stick with the pentium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Z370 mobo are hella expensive though, despite 8100 being almost as good as 7500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarbonWard said:

the Z370 mobo are hella expensive though, despite 8100 being almost as good as 7500.

Pretty much why I said I can't recommend it since architecture is dead. xd. It's gonna be on a different mobo series again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the mobo was cheap enough i wouldn't mind recommending a cheap mobo+8400, since the 6c6t with 3.8ghz TB will last at least 2-3 years at 1080p high/ultra high graphics setting and 4-5 years mid-low then you can jump to something different entirely, but right now the mobo is just prohibitively high priced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, new day, new build attempt, this time Micro ATX. What do you think about this one?

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  (€58.00) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€52.00) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€60.00) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€61.00) 
Monitor: Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  (€177.00) 
Total: €408.00
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm - the Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€60.00)  is a regular ATX mid-tower. Nothing wrong with that, I just thought that because you have space concerns a µATX case would be better suited while still offering enouzgh space for regular hardware and an easy building experience.

The link I posted above with including clearance parameters and some other small details.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aparently they want a white case and this is the best inexpensive white case I found.

I wonder if I take a full ATX cas should I run a full ATX mobo too then. But I didn't find one clearly better than MSI B250I PRO-VD so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BitFenix isn't really locally available :/. I think I can stick to the NZXT S340, it fits my budget and was "approved" by the users of the system as "nice".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ogremage said:

Aparently they want a white case and this is the best inexpensive white case I found.

I wonder if I take a full ATX cas should I run a full ATX mobo too then. But I didn't find one clearly better than MSI B250I PRO-VD so far.

White spray paint is a thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.