Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Assassin7

Help Diagnose WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

49 posts in this topic

my old gaming rig, which is being used by my brother, is constantly blue screening with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. it does it with almost every game he plays, but most often Rainbow Six Seige and BF4. (which both reliably crash whenever you load into a game) however Arma 3, Payday 2, and War Thunder don't crash it. 

So far Ive done the following:

Format Drive, fresh install windows 10 (it had an illegal copy of windows 7 on it before which I originally thought was the issue)

Update and reinstall as many different drivers as possible

Reset BIOS to default.

My current suspicions are that its a hardware issue. Im thinking its most likely the HDD, PSU, or GPU in that order. I can test the GPU fairly easily, and possibly the PSU. But not sure how to test the HDD. 

Specs:

i5 3570K

8GB G.SKILL ARES DDR3

ASUS P8 Z77V-LK

GIGABTYE Windforce GTX970

Aywun megapower elite 650w (sketchy brand, which is why im suspicious)

Seagate 750GB 7200RPM (its nearly 9 years old, which is why its my main suspect)

Win 10 home 64 bit

As far as testing the HD, you could throw in another and move the games to that. 

1 minute ago, TheMarine0341 said:

As far as testing the HD, you could throw in another and move the games to that. 

I dont have another, and would require reinstalling windows a third time lol (we've done it twice)

I might be able to throw it in my PC, move a game like BF4 to it and see if it works. Hmm.

This bug check is typically related to physical hardware failures. It can be heat related, defective hardware, memory or even a processor that is beginning to fail or has failed. If over-clocking has been enabled, try disabling it. Confirm that any cooling systems such as fans are functional. Run system diagnostics to confirm that the system memory is not defective. It is less likely, but possible that a driver is causing the hardware to fail with this bug check.

- Troubleshooting

Reinstalling Windows wont help, tbh. You have a memory leak someplace, and your system is shutting down to protect against that as its probably hardware breaking down

memtest86+, crystaldiskmark, prime95, furmark, run the whole gauntlet to see what fails first.

More often than not, if you've overclocked, voltages are too high.

2 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

More often than not, if you've overclocked, voltages are too high.

I reset the bios though, so it should be default right?

Memtest86+ via USB stick outside of windows over night or at least 3 passes ... see Haswells post

4 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Memtest86+ via USB stick outside of windows over night or at least 3 passes ... see Haswells post

So, install it to a flash drive and run it off that?

CD, flash drive, anything you want really. The point is to not run it off the drive you use for your OS so you can rule out OS issues.

One simple question why fresh reinstalling everything when you have BlueScreenView by Nirsoft i think to actually analyze dumps? And when you see what’s failing you look in that direction? 

Also i see much support threads about that shit @ windows 10, since my last crusade and high DPC on win10 (I didn’t check win7 yet tho) I would stayed the fuck away of that piece of bugged shit. 

And to exaggerate my Win10 experience some MS shit broke JET DB engine and writing into Excel from app isn’t working. Clap clap Microsoft. 

4 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

One simple question why fresh reinstalling everything when you have BlueScreenView by Nirsoft i think to actually analyze dumps? And when you see what’s failing you look in that direction? 

As I said. The PC initially had a windows 7 copy that didnt have a product key. So it wasnt activated and was broken (the product key I had for it didnt end up working) 

My brother was reporting constant blue screens in games. I never looked at what the blue screen code was, I assumed that the reason was because of the unactivated windows. I told him and mum that, and they bought windows 10 for it, and did an upgrade install rather than a fresh install, which still didnt work. i then fresh reinstalled it (needed it anyway), and the next day my brother tried playing on it and it blue screened. So then i went and made it bluescreen myself to get the error and it was that.

45 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

One simple question why fresh reinstalling everything when you have BlueScreenView by Nirsoft i think to actually analyze dumps?

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR usually means 0x124, which usually means hardware-related. Which means fuck all in this case since we don't know which part is fucking up.

20 minutes ago, Haswell said:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR usually means 0x124, which usually means hardware-related. Which means fuck all in this case since we don't know which part is fucking up.

I've run Prime95 for 30 odd minutes, no issues. Running Crystaldiskmark now and nothing seems to be going wrong? will run furmark next and Im fiddling with getting memtest to run (do i need to boot the USB from the bios?)

Edit: furmark stress test is running fine. 

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

As I said. The PC initially had a windows 7 copy that didnt have a product key. So it wasnt activated and was broken (the product key I had for it didnt end up working) 

My brother was reporting constant blue screens in games. I never looked at what the blue screen code was, I assumed that the reason was because of the unactivated windows. I told him and mum that, and they bought windows 10 for it, and did an upgrade install rather than a fresh install, which still didnt work. i then fresh reinstalled it (needed it anyway), and the next day my brother tried playing on it and it blue screened. So then i went and made it bluescreen myself to get the error and it was that.

License don’t mean stability :doge:

Every BS creates dumps, and you can read dumps. 

27 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Either way you can read dump, and see what triggered this. If for example nvidia driver went bust you can stary from GPU and so on. I diagnosed many pcs in my life, in fact I would take wild stab in the dark and vote for MBO. I have animosity towards somethin V boards :D maybe it’s VIA legacy that hunts me. 

But my first step would be BSV and reading dumps. 

1 hour ago, Zepherex said:

WOAH

^^^

Update: run everything except memtest with no issues, reset bios again (incase I didnt actually reset it). Seemed stable for a bit but then blue screened again when my brother was playing it.

25 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Update: run everything except memtest with no issues, reset bios again (incase I didnt actually reset it). Seemed stable for a bit but then blue screened again when my brother was playing it.

Hm, maybe it's your brother that's causing the problem? Try replacing him with someone more stable? :doge:

Just get the memtest running in the evening and let it go for 24 hours. If you see *any* errors with it, that's the problem.

I know the issue is most likely due to hardware (whea_uncorrectable) but have you at least updated the drivers?

it could also be possible that if it was previously oc'd the chip is no longer stable at stock voltage in which case you would need to slightly up the voltage - although I find this unlikely.

If you have two drives, make sure the non-OS drive is clean installed as well if it was used as storage for the OS at some point as thats what ended up causing mine when I upgraded my build.

10 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Gaming is more intensive than memtest, infact you'll most likely pass memtest running for multiple days and still get BSOD. Guess what, memtest test RAM which is in most cases stable as fuck.

I vouched for MBO, you still didn't check BSOD dumps. Please do that. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Me thinking if is PSU, you'll get restarts. This is purely some shit with MBO-GPU combo. 

On 11/3/2017 at 2:10 PM, Assassin7 said:

Post the SMART data from crystaldiskinfo.

Memtest froze it, but didnt bluescreen it. Im going to run another test and see what happens i guess.

Bluescreenview is also not picking up and of the bluescreens. 

If its a mobo issue im kinda fucked, finding a new mobo for it will be extremely difficult over here, since its old, and theres no way we can afford a full compliment

edit: @Haswell i assume this is the info you want:

CrystalDiskMark 5.5.0 x64 (UWP) (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :    95.016 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :    80.105 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     0.773 MB/s [   188.7 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :     0.764 MB/s [   186.5 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :    89.973 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :    85.158 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.371 MB/s [    90.6 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :     0.788 MB/s [   192.4 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 33.1% (230.8/698.1 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2017/11/08 18:12:17

Edit2: fixed the issue with bluescreenview not showing the crashes, wasnt set up to log the crash in system settings.

Memtest finished 3 passes, no issues according to it. (Edit3: oh wait thats memtest64 not 86, uhhh. Gonna download and try 86 now lol)

Edit4: it refuses to boot memtest86 off a flash drive. Cant get it to work. Nice

Ive disabled all other boot options except the flash drive memtest is on and it froze when clicking reset in the bios... Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit5: FINALLY GOT IT TO BOOT MEMTEST UGGHHHH

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0