Sign in to follow this  
Assassin7

Help Diagnose WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

76 posts in this topic

Get your old drive back then, clearly it's not the drive.

Put your voltages back on auto and try again. Only thing you haven't ruled out so far is the mobo, but that's not common. Not entirely unheard of either though.

Haswell can probably verify this easily, But I remember reading a security thing 2 or 3 years (it was during the linux plumbers conf in NOLA) where they figured that you can technically thrash RAM into forcing a bad parity state by bleeding electrons into and through one of the doping layers (L7 i think. prob not.). It's also virtually impossible to detect since the ram doesn't think its there and can't zero it out anyway because of the bleed. 

You said it was an old PC build so if its older (and well used) sticks, that might be the cause.
possible solution: swap Ram sticks with another PC and try to crash it again. 

(It's when they figured that if you only partially dope a layer that it was possible to force this easily. vaguely related to the NSA trying to find hardware workarounds. thanks Jon Snow(den):microdoge: )

@Haswell idk, the crashing has been massively reduced with the new drive. Plus he needed a bigger drive anyway so its a win win at this point either way. (Also the 7 day return is long over by now anyway) 

Before deciding on mobo, probably next monday im going to test the PSU by swapping the PSU from my PC into it while Im away for a few days, and see if that fixes it, if not, I guess we're replacing the mobo. 

@Wanderjar unfortunately I dont have another DDR3 PC, or any more DDR3 RAM to test that theory with. F

Edit: crashes are now being caused by hal.dll, rather than the driver that was causing them before the crash, if that makes any difference.

DDR3 sticks are cheap, and you can buy one just for test. Also manually adjust bolategs on cpu and ram, like up it like 5-10% of original values. 

Try PSU from your PC, and i might suggest again W7 (even cracked or trial) to really limit W10 woes. 

53 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

DDR3 sticks are cheap, and you can buy one just for test. Also manually adjust bolategs on cpu and ram, like up it like 5-10% of original values. 

Try PSU from your PC, and i might suggest again W7 (even cracked or trial) to really limit W10 woes. 

DDR3 may be cheap, but we don't really have the money for this in the first place. I cant afford to throw some extra ram at it *just* to test. Also, obligatory NZ hardware prices reminder.

We had Windows 7 on it and it was crashing then. It was a trial version (that expired) and we upgraded to Win 10 originally because I thought it was the illegitimate Win 7 copy causing it. And for the record I actually like windows 10 anyway. 

if its not PSU, Im just gonna go replace the mobo, which means CPU+RAM as well, and at that point since I will have confirmed its not the GPU or PSU, and it will have a new HDD so it'll basically be a new PC at that point anyway. 

9 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

DDR3 may be cheap, but we don't really have the money for this in the first place. I cant afford to throw some extra ram at it *just* to test. Also, obligatory NZ hardware prices reminder.

We had Windows 7 on it and it was crashing then. It was a trial version (that expired) and we upgraded to Win 10 originally because I thought it was the illegitimate Win 7 copy causing it. And for the record I actually like windows 10 anyway. 

if its not PSU, Im just gonna go replace the mobo, which means CPU+RAM as well, and at that point since I will have confirmed its not the GPU or PSU, and it will have a new HDD so it'll basically be a new PC at that point anyway. 

As you wish.

As per Win10, I know you purchased legally, but I have few PCs with Win10 problems. Switch out PSU, but before try beef up voltages on RAM and CPU. 

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

As you wish.

As per Win10, I know you purchased legally, but I have few PCs with Win10 problems. Switch out PSU, but before try beef up voltages on RAM and CPU. 

I already tried upping CPU voltage, as I said. Crashed on startup at 1.2V

49 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

I hope you are right :) 

Well, Ive tested literally everything else, and seeing as its not GPU and HDD is new, ima have to replace mobo/ram/cpu all together anyway so its gonna fix the problem whatever it is.

9 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Well, Ive tested literally everything else, and seeing as its not GPU and HDD is new, ima have to replace mobo/ram/cpu all together anyway so its gonna fix the problem whatever it is.

So you won’t switch new mbo only?

10 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

So you won’t switch new mbo only?

If I can somehow find a second hand LGA1155 mobo then yeah I will, but im not expecting to.

What do you guys suggest for a build to at least match a 3570K/8GB system? Im kinda thinking of going ryzen for this because itll be cheaper for the performance.

Needs to be CHEAP AS POSSIBLE. obligatory im in New Zealand reminder. Paging @Folterknecht

Edit, im thinking close to this: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/6rWjr7

38 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

was gonna say get higher speed ram then died at prices

Yep, not worth it at all. Id rather spend that money on a better CPU.

13 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

What do you guys suggest for a build to at least match a 3570K/8GB system? Im kinda thinking of going ryzen for this because itll be cheaper for the performance.

Needs to be CHEAP AS POSSIBLE. obligatory im in New Zealand reminder. Paging @Folterknecht

Edit, im thinking close to this: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/6rWjr7

Lol, at least Ryzen processors are cheaper in your part of the world. Here in South Africa they're more expensive than Intel parts!

3 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Get a used Z77 board - switching to Ryzen 3 from 3570K makes no sense. Same IPC, number of cores/threads but less available headroom when it comes to OC.

7 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Get a used Z77 board - switching to Ryzen 3 from 3570K makes no sense. Same IPC, number of cores/threads but less available headroom when it comes to OC.

Cant. Theres nothing at all for LGA1155. Ive already looked everywhere. Even looked for LGA1150 for Haswell to see if I could find a cheap board+CPU combo to save on RAM, theres none of that either. 

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

Cant. Theres nothing at all for LGA1155. Ive already looked everywhere. Even looked for LGA1150 for Haswell to see if I could find a cheap board+CPU combo to save on RAM, theres none of that either. 

Yeah, I had the same problem recently. Went looking for LGA1155 and 1150 and nothing. It was 1151 or bust.

4 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Not so great choice but hey. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162687085157

If you want, you can salvage pc buy buying H61 board really cheap.