sohojacques

Dynamic penetration indicator changes

24 posts in this topic

(Tried this as a status update but didn't get any concrete answers so...)

The in-game dynamic penetration indicator introduced a patch or two back is behaving differently in patch 9.20.1. I suspect it now only shows pen probability of a gun's standard round, even if a premium shell is loaded. Before 9.20.1 it adjusted for different rounds. Anyway, I've sent in a ticket to WG to see if this is the case, or if something else is going on. Will update this thread when I hear back from them.

I saw some funkiness with this yesterday. Aiming 250 HEAT at a defender's lfp from 20m i was most confused to see the bright red indicator. I penned 3 of 3 because i can still mentally calculate that stuff, but i do like that indicator. I perma tracked and killed a T95 frontally with the RhmPz !

It initially confused the hell out of me. Something is definitely wrong with it. I scored a heaT55a with the arrival of 9.20.1 and the indicator is permanently red while I'm putting HEAT rounds through the front of Mäuse, Type 5s, etc. 

Im not having that issue I dont think. Its changing with the shell type. Either that or In not noticing it

I've noticed (but havent confirmed) anything 50/50ish and below is red and 60-75%ish shows as orange.

Sometimes its just bugged.

It's definitely bugged for me. It might be connected to the bug that causes your first shot to be standard ammunition even if you switch to premium.

Bunch of bads with your hack mods. I didn't even know this thing existed until a week ago. 

6 hours ago, Yoko_Ono said:

It's definitely bugged for me. It might be connected to the bug that causes your first shot to be standard ammunition even if you switch to premium.

Oh that's also a bug...i thought i was just losing my mind. I often shoot out doors on Pilsen with my first shot and it kept being standard..

I needed an accurate dynamic penetration indicator when I was in my teens....

37 minutes ago, kreigermann said:

I needed an accurate dynamic penetration indicator when I was in my teens....

Schwing!

Wait people rely on this game filled with RNG to get a sense of security with their shots? :novaserb: 

@Kolni if anything it further highlights how truly fucked the rng in the game is. Not penning a fully aimed shot on a close range stationary target when it’s green causes me a whole new level of rage.

Try switching to HE and almost everything should be red. Might be a way of getting an indication if there is some fuckery going on.

I never even paid attention to the color....

You could have it tell you if you we're going to pen? I just used the database of what can pen where that I stored in my head.

I have still never figured out where this shit even is . . . I just generally know if a shot has a chance of penning I let it fly, if its hopeless I load HE :gaytroll:

I have a vanilla client and I am seeing the indicator change quiet a bit. Where the defender's and E75's LFP should have been green (t-54 heat) I instead got a yellow indicator but penned my shots.

From Wargaming:

"Hi FrankBob,

Thank you for contacting Wargaming Support.

We understand that you are having some issues with the penetration indicator. Can you please provide us some screenshots of the issue so we can check?

We will wait for your reply."

Can I really be bothered? At some point, I guess...

Wow their QC is impressively bad. I did enjoy the new actual pen indicator, it was letting me do some crazy things like frontally permatrack for damages a T95. I guess I'll also submit some screens.

Not to mention more reliable T49 pens!

25 minutes ago, CraBeatOff said:

Wow their QC is impressively bad. I did enjoy the new actual pen indicator, it was letting me do some crazy things like frontally permatrack for damages a T95. I guess I'll also submit some screens.

Not to mention more reliable T49 pens!

Facing upwards loads of tanks have pennable trackshots frontally. Basically if they have a hitbox above their tracks then it's a pen. 

Most german tanks have the issue, most TDs too except for some of the US ones where the tracks are outside of the actual hitbox for damage.

Literally every single german heavy except for the Pz7 type of chassi, (Maus has it too but the armour is still strong so it'll rarely actually pen unless you have APCR as gold as you'll need over 300pen IIRC)

FV215b has it too if you can hit deep enough into the track, the sprocket didn't seem to work for me but if you have a shot when it's cresting you'll pen it, but then it likely won't track so you're better off shooting the lower plate anyway. 

I never really tried it with russian meds, doesn't look like it'd work too well but the 62A at least has a pennable trackshot shooting down onto it. Anything else is unnecessary really since just going a little bit to the side gives you pennable trackshots. Foch B approves :doge: 

35 minutes ago, Kolni said:

Facing upwards loads of tanks have pennable trackshots frontally. Basically if they have a hitbox above their tracks then it's a pen. 

Most german tanks have the issue, most TDs too except for some of the US ones where the tracks are outside of the actual hitbox for damage.

Literally every single german heavy except for the Pz7 type of chassi, (Maus has it too but the armour is still strong so it'll rarely actually pen unless you have APCR as gold as you'll need over 300pen IIRC)

FV215b has it too if you can hit deep enough into the track, the sprocket didn't seem to work for me but if you have a shot when it's cresting you'll pen it, but then it likely won't track so you're better off shooting the lower plate anyway. 

I never really tried it with russian meds, doesn't look like it'd work too well but the 62A at least has a pennable trackshot shooting down onto it. Anything else is unnecessary really since just going a little bit to the side gives you pennable trackshots. Foch B approves :doge: 

Yea, I've done plenty of those upwards ones, especially into yolo TDs cresting (fuck you TD players). But this was on flat ground on Himmels by the rail cars! So it was especially exciting!

Cry for help:

Could someone with friends (cause I got none) head to a training room with a Type 5 and a T54/T55a. Load HEAT. Point it at the front of the Type 5. See if you can replicate what I’m getting: red pen indicator all over. Screenshot or two would be great.

Alternatively, if someone on SEA with a Type 5 could spare some time give me a yell. In game name is Frankbob.

12 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Wow their QC is impressively bad. I did enjoy the new actual pen indicator, it was letting me do some crazy things like frontally permatrack for damages a T95.

Why they can't check it themselves....

When it was working properly, the new pen indicator was a revelation to me when it came to front drive wheel shots that could track and pen. There's so much funky shit going on in that area. 

19 minutes ago, sohojacques said:

Why they can't check it themselves....

When it was working properly, the new pen indicator was a revelation to me when it came to front drive wheel shots that could track and pen. There's so much funky shit going on in that area. 

It's still semi functional, but i sure hope they repair it. Today i penned a SuperConqueror turret with 76mm pen round!