Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ickus

AW coming to Steam

19 posts in this topic

Dead like cloud pirates in half a year? Could be a final money grab for EU/NA.

Is this the moment where I post Serb's face yet again?

:superserb:

Oh yes it is....

ps. AW already lost the race once, hopefully this helps them grow again, but I fear that's not gonna happen.

11 minutes ago, SaintLaurentius said:

ps. AW already lost the race once, hopefully this helps them grow again, but I fear that's not gonna happen.

Why would you want to hope that? The game lost the final piece of good will, when they went full WoT-clown.

World of Tanks needed competition, not for AW to imitate what we already have.

Relevant:

youve-become-the-very-thing-you-swore-to

3 hours ago, RC_Tank said:

World of Tanks needed competition, not for AW to imitate what we already have.

Relevant:

youve-become-the-very-thing-you-swore-to

yeah, my.com went full retard ignore the advice of competent and experienced game designers and devs in favor of a shitty modern clone of WoT

its a shame too i invested so much time and money into the game; they were treading on thin ice for a while and once i got wind of the "new" direction they were going for without obsidian thats where i drew the line and never looked back; its a bitter sweet memory so much wasted potential i'd say its a real shame

maybe one day we can have a tank game be developed by an american company with competent devs instead of russians (no offense, but why is it almost exclusively Russians who make tank games, going off warthunder [gajin], WoT [wargaming], and AW [my.com] )

they must be getting really desperate 

5 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

maybe one day we can have a tank game be developed by an american company with competent devs instead of russians (no offense, but why is it almost exclusively Russians who make tank games, going off warthunder [gajin], WoT [wargaming], and AW [my.com] )

Well, I can say that America fought wars with air/seapower. If you look at WW1 and 2, we (Americans) had to cross oceans to deploy tanks which was a considerable amount more effort compared to say, Russia or Germany. It's also no secret that Russia is more nationalistic/militaristic which contributes to having more knowledge of their current/previous arsenal. The arcade tank-shooter market also simply doesn't exist in America due to its fascination with FPS games. I think it would also be hard for an America-made tank shooter to catch on simply because 1. It's not FPS but it's a shooter? 2. Wtf are these things, never seen anything like this, looks lame, not buying it. However, I would like to see a North America made tank game if only to see how well it does.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well, I can say that America fought wars with air/seapower. If you look at WW1 and 2, we (Americans) had to cross oceans to deploy tanks which was a considerable amount more effort compared to say, Russia or Germany. It's also no secret that Russia is more nationalistic/militaristic which contributes to having more knowledge of their current/previous arsenal. The arcade tank-shooter market also simply doesn't exist in America due to its fascination with FPS games. I think it would also be hard for an America-made tank shooter to catch on simply because 1. It's not FPS but it's a shooter? 2. Wtf are these things, never seen anything like this, looks lame, not buying it. However, I would like to see a North America made tank game if only to see how well it does.

yeah, you make some good points except that 3rd person shooters are still very much popular like PuBG and siege which have first person options (actually never touched siege could be wrong on that); in short a 3rd person shooter based on or around tanks and other vehicles could be viable to a mass market if marketed well (marketing sells more than the actual products themselves these days)

i think some along the lines of a mix between halo and battlefield where it can be arcady while still leaving a lot for the most hardcore players to toy with; i guess you could make it bigger and F2P if you wanted a server based massive scale warfare including tanks, planes, foot soldiers etc. and maybe have a tech tree system for each thing of sort or back to halo where you pick stuff off the ground and go with it; god i miss BF 1942, that was some straight forward fun, a shame they don't make em like they used to

on a side note the closest thing to halo on pc is in the works and its free, im having fun with it and a new update is almost done debugging (no real estimate date) but the 5.1 build itself is really fun: https://eldewrito.com/

17 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

Why would you want to hope that? The game lost the final piece of good will, when they went full WoT-clown.

Competition is good regardless. 

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Tanks has the potential to be largely popular in North America.
The only things in the way of its potential are:

1. Advertisements. They're shit. Seriously. I'm not even interested and it looks nothing like the gameplay (if it even shows it at all in some ads)
  2. Poorly received/shit e-sports scene. Basically from what I know, ESL has been pocketing quite a bit of change and have basically been producing WGL on minimal funds.
  3. The early game itself and the perpetual credit sink. This is pretty much self-explanatory when you look at population retention over time.
  4. RNG. Notice how the best/most popular games (barring TCGs, they don't count!) have little to no RNG involved and even if they do, it can be dealt with.
  5. Game balance. Self explanatory. 5A/Super Conq/High Alpha TDs. I personally think arty itself is a good and rather unique mechanic but ultimately fails because of things like XVM/Tunnel-vision. Tweaks can obviously be made.
  6. Map Design. Self explanatory.
  7. Devs don't even play the game much less at a respectable level.
  8. Pay to win content. EVERYONE hates it. Even more so in North America. Self explanatory again.
  9. Marketing - see e-sports/additional thoughts.
  10. A playerbase that absolutely hates the 1%. This can be argued both WG and 1%'s fault due to a lack of succinct punishment.
  11. Lenient rules - any example of griefing is relevant here.
  12. Whatever else I missed.

Which is admittedly a lot of things.

I feel like the e-sports (more like competitive hobby for tanks) scene and marketing are the real kicker.
World of Tanks fails to use e-sports properly to introduce existing and new prospects into the game.

First you actually need to have a league that has been standardized. Virtually every WGL format that I am aware of has had some variation to the format and has failed to be consistent for more than the annual seasons. Not only does this turn off the public because the format is constantly changing but also professional teams (see virtus pro / mouse esports / fnatic / etc). If you cannot have a professional team interested, the game will most likely not be successful. There are niche games that do not have any professional teams (i.e. Runescape's Deadman Invitational) that still manages to bring in a metric shit ton of viewers and prospects to the game.

Second, league format has to resemble public game format. If it doesn't match in any way shape or form, then the general populace is unable to formulate a general understanding of what is going on. Look at CSGO/LoL/DoTA/OW/SC/etc. Every successful competitive game has exactly the same format - although there may be minute variations - i.e. banning).

Third... you know what. I'm going to just stop this little rant xd.

16 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Tanks has the potential to be largely popular in North America.
The only things in the way of its potential are:

1. Advertisements. They're shit. Seriously. I'm not even interested and it looks nothing like the gameplay (if it even shows it at all in some ads)
  2. Poorly received/shit e-sports scene. Basically from what I know, ESL has been pocketing quite a bit of change and have basically been producing WGL on minimal funds.
  3. The early game itself and the perpetual credit sink. This is pretty much self-explanatory when you look at population retention over time.
  4. RNG. Notice how the best/most popular games (barring TCGs, they don't count!) have little to no RNG involved and even if they do, it can be dealt with.
  5. Game balance. Self explanatory. 5A/Super Conq/High Alpha TDs. I personally think arty itself is a good and rather unique mechanic but ultimately fails because of things like XVM/Tunnel-vision. Tweaks can obviously be made.
  6. Map Design. Self explanatory.
  7. Devs don't even play the game much less at a respectable level.
  8. Pay to win content. EVERYONE hates it. Even more so in North America. Self explanatory again.
  9. Marketing - see e-sports/additional thoughts.
  10. A playerbase that absolutely hates the 1%. This can be argued both WG and 1%'s fault due to a lack of succinct punishment.
  11. Lenient rules - any example of griefing is relevant here.
  12. Whatever else I missed.

Which is admittedly a lot of things.

I feel like the e-sports (more like competitive hobby for tanks) scene and marketing are the real kicker.
World of Tanks fails to use e-sports properly to introduce existing and new prospects into the game.

First you actually need to have a league that has been standardized. Virtually every WGL format that I am aware of has had some variation to the format and has failed to be consistent for more than the annual seasons. Not only does this turn off the public because the format is constantly changing but also professional teams (see virtus pro / mouse esports / fnatic / etc). If you cannot have a professional team interested, the game will most likely not be successful. There are niche games that do not have any professional teams (i.e. Runescape's Deadman Invitational) that still manages to bring in a metric shit ton of viewers and prospects to the game.

Second, league format has to resemble public game format. If it doesn't match in any way shape or form, then the general populace is unable to formulate a general understanding of what is going on. Look at CSGO/LoL/DoTA/OW/SC/etc. Every successful competitive game has exactly the same format - although there may be minute variations - i.e. banning).

Third... you know what. I'm going to just stop this little rant xd.

Season 4 for Mr Robot confirmed? Attacking unicum accounts and distribuiting WR to the tomatoes?

AW is still a thing? Thought they canceled the game a while ago. 

5 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

-snip-

Honestly, I think your rambling thought doesn't really warrant much merit, but there are some valid and extremely invalid points, so I'll address those instead of the obvious no-brainer points.

7. In my experience following videogames, from recently-made titles going all the way back to really old titles, every developer plays their game. It may not be during their free time, but they do playtest while at work. I just have a feeling that WG envisions a different idea what the game should play like (and thus wants to force players to play that way, which doesn't work).

8. I actually think this point is the best reason for the lack of success of WoT in America. Since Americans have this idea of "pulling themself up by their bootstraps" instead of simply buying power (which the Chinese don't seem to mind interestingly).

10. This is COMPLETELY unnecessary and really kind of a shitty point. I play TF2, a 10 year old game. They are balancing weapons with competitive players' opinions in mind. The top 1% are necessary in order to foster development of gameplay skill (LIKE WOTLABS HAS DONE) and then see how it unfolds in the competitive scene. You can also turn to other places to see where the 1% has taken the game to whole new levels like SSB: Melee or Counter-Strike.

I'd also like to note the whole argument detailing the competitive format. That is extremely important as I noticed this in comp TF2 as well. Since it's teams of 6v6 but pubs are 12v12, players feel pressured out because it's unfamiliar, as opposed to DotA or LoL or even CS where pub and comp team format is the same.

Everything else in your post is a no-brainer (make sure to have good map design, make sure to have good tank balance) and honestly isn't worth talking about.

@Sgt. Pepper

Point #10 is more referring to the general populace despising the top 1%. They are basically discriminated against - although I do admit it goes both ways. In other games the top 1% is looked up to. 

The other points are necessary because WG doesnt find them obvious enough.

28 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

@Sgt. Pepper

Point #10 is more referring to the general populace despising the top 1%. They are basically discriminated againsy - although I do admit it goes both ways. In other games the top 1% is looked up to. 

The other points are necessary because WG doesnt find them obvious enough.

I kinda think that the 50% swing in RNG is partially to blame for that, on WG's end. +/- 25% on penetration and damage is a LARGE swing, and it does help to minimize skill by introducing more randomness. However, I feel that it also fosters a greater resentment towards players who're "better", as the average player would be good... but RNG just fucks him. It's not his fault the shell bounced, it's RNG. It's not her fault the tank survived the shot, it's RNG. Et cetera...

Now, the last online game I was involved in at a high level of play was City of Heroes/Villians, and there, the "good" players weren't villified, necessarily. One, it was primarily a PvE game, so "winning" had many different and individual goals, though there were some common markers (raids/instances - speed of completion; survival/clearing of outsized/challenged mobs). However, I do remember that in PvP, the same group of people I ran with were known less positively, again, due to being able to dominate what little PvP scene there was in the game.

I also dabbled in LoL, but that entire community makes WoT looks like a kindergarten filled with Pollyanna's. There is a lot of resentment in that game, but it's generally directed towards immediate teammates, and not a known 1% upper echelon... "I could be Diamond, but my teammates always fuck me into Bronze/I can't be bothered to try hard", and those upper echelon players are known, recognized and praised for their skill.

Could it have something to do not only with the giant swing of RNG, but also the steep and continual learning curve that WoT presents? LoL has 3(?) maps, WoT has over 40, right? Similar levels of tanks/heroes, though a given tank doesn't have the potential to face EVERY other tank in a match. Additionally, there's known and intentional imbalances... every tank is NOT designed to fight every other tank 1v1...

Is an interesting thought to game theory on, and something someone more intelligent/versed in it would need to visit.

Ehh, so far it looks like the upcoming patch will finally fix a lot/most of the remaining fuckery that came with failance 0.2, if they time the Steam release well, it could actually bring in and hold a decent enough amount of people. Can't link Steam with original My.Scum account tho, which I personally find pretty retarded... Also, SilentShitter... Also, playing Warframe atm... So no for me, but it looks like the game could be revived at least for a bit until the next huge fuckup patch arrives.

On 08/11/2017 at 0:50 AM, lordawesome7 said:

yeah, my.com went full retard ignore the advice of competent and experienced game designers and devs in favor of a shitty modern clone of WoT

its a shame too i invested so much time and money into the game; they were treading on thin ice for a while and once i got wind of the "new" direction they were going for without obsidian thats where i drew the line and never looked back; its a bitter sweet memory so much wasted potential i'd say its a real shame

And then, to top it off, War Thunder did a modern tanks mode as an April Fools joke and it was superior to AW in every way. No, I'm not joking, go check the videos on YouTube.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0