Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jesse_the_Scout

Webcam colors driving me crazy, any ideas?

5 posts in this topic

Got a Logitech c920 planning to make some Youtube videos. Looked good, really liked it. Lucky me, I'm one of the people where Windows 10 won't play nice with it. I tried everything, finally give up and sent it back to Amazon because it crashed my PC and nothing I tried fixed it.

Ordered some offbrand thing to replace it because apparently the c920 is so good there's practically no competition to challenge it. This new camera is acceptable to good in every way except color. The Logitech handled color fine, this one is rough. I have a room with yellow walls (believe me, not my idea) and this cam seems to have no color correction, so everything is too damn yellow. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find some way to compensate by room lighting, software, SOMEthing, but with little success. Before I repaint this entire room in a light gray (and I swear to god I'll do it, I'm fucking BATSHIT, man) I don't suppose any one familiar with the subject has a better way to compensate? Maybe a certain type of bulb as opposed to compact florescent bulbs I'm using currently? Or some software solution? I've adjusted the meager offerings the camera allows such as hue and saturation and it helped a little, but it's still painful. I've tried several different video capture software and found nothing that allows adjustment other than what the camera itself can do.

Just thought it was worth a shot in case any one has dealt with the same issue before.

What type of CFL's are you using? Bear in mind, there's some that'll replicate "close" to natural light, provide a warming/yellow light, or a "soft" light, among others... whatever the fuck the last one means. It might be as simple as that. Alternately, maybe get a light blue gel to toss over a light, to counter the yellow.

Edit: Consulted with my wife, who's got better than normal color vision (as opposed to my colorblind ass), and used to stage manage productions, so has an eye for lighting.

Check into the following solutions, in addition to changing your CFL's:

-Rig a temporary/permanent divider/backdrop. Go with light grey, but ensure it's been both pressed and stretched, to present a smooth front.
-Paint the walls, but in the interests of domestic harmony (with however painted the room yellow) leave one wall yellow as an "accent" wall. Common trick in realty recently, and you can leave the wall behind your computer/camera rig as the one, as it'll do the least to change the picture.

I replaced the CFLs with some "Reveal" bulbs I had tucked away that have a cooler color scheme to try to counter it and moved lamps everywhere, but it wasn't happening. It seemed to help a little, but the bottom line is the camera either makes everything glare massively, or it makes dark objects too dark and gives them that grainy old "VHS" look. After a lot of "trying everything" I feel safe to say the camera just sucks at handling light and also color as a result. The c920 kicks the crap out of it and can produce a decent image just with everything set on auto adjust.

I just went ahead and sent it back, I don't think any amount of work would have made it look halfway professional. Amazon needs to save itself some trouble and stop letting Chinese knock off companies sell crap on their site, this thing was the same price as a c920 and had good reviews because reasons?

Mine does that. I have to hold a piece of white paper in front of it when I start using it.

Epilogue: I saw Logitech just released a clone version of their c922 a couple weeks ago. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Stream-Streaming-Recording-960-001211/dp/B07661NX9M/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1510864680&sr=1-9&keywords=logitech+webcam Several outlets had a discount on it including Amazon and Best Buy, so it was $50.

I thought to myself, "so why do you release a copy of an existing product if that product doesn't work with Windows 10?" The answer was, quite possibly, "the hardware will not work with Windows 10 no matter what they do with the software, so they needed to release a new version that does and not talk too much about it because a lot of people now have $80 paper weights and are gonna be pissed when they realize it."

So I ordered it from Best But and sure enough, no crashing or disconnecting errors. Image looks quite good right out of the box, auto-adjusts light and color quite well. I was probably too harsh on the generic one, but I'm glad I sent it back. The Logitech's image is still a little better right from the box than the generic's was with all the adjusting I could do. Any one looking for a webcam this thing is the way to go, especially if you've upgraded to Windows 10.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0