yuryi

Best Tier 8 Premium for a new(ish) player?

26 posts in this topic

My friend got into this game casually like a year ago and is playing more often now that he got to tier 5, he's almost at 7 now. I try my best to guide him towards playing ok, platooning with him, telling him where to shoot and how to angle armor. It makes me cringe though how hard it is for him to get credits so i figured I'd buy him a premium tank for his birthday coming up, since he's not terrible.

I'd like to get him something noob friendly but also something that would engage and help him evolve as a player. I personally love the lowe, it's not retarded like the 252, but when you play right and carefully you can do ridiculously well. I'm not very familiar with other premiums, I'm thinking perhaps one of the Americans is also good, but that's why I'm here, because I have no clue. It also doesnt help that I've been back only for a couple weeks after a 6 month absence so I'm kind of out of the loop.
What would the collective wotlabs community say on this?

For what I know the Patriot is the most profitable real money/credit potential/battle performance. 

4 hours ago, yuryi said:

My friend got into this game casually like a year ago and is playing more often now that he got to tier 5, he's almost at 7 now. I try my best to guide him towards playing ok, platooning with him, telling him where to shoot and how to angle armor. It makes me cringe though how hard it is for him to get credits so i figured I'd buy him a premium tank for his birthday coming up, since he's not terrible.

I'd like to get him something noob friendly but also something that would engage and help him evolve as a player. I personally love the lowe, it's not retarded like the 252, but when you play right and carefully you can do ridiculously well. I'm not very familiar with other premiums, I'm thinking perhaps one of the Americans is also good, but that's why I'm here, because I have no clue. It also doesnt help that I've been back only for a couple weeks after a 6 month absence so I'm kind of out of the loop.
What would the collective wotlabs community say on this?

3 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

For what I know the Patriot is the most profitable real money/credit potential/battle performance. 

I'm a little out of loop when it comes to tanks, but I 'd like to point out an important factor when it comes to t8 premiums.

Penetration with standard rounds is the most important factor when it comes to making credits. Regardless of how good some of the tanks with preferential MM are, as long as you don't have at least 220mm pen, you 'll be forced to fire premium rounds too often especially as a medicore or bad player, if you want to 've an impact on the game.

Good players can often live with ~200mm pen and dab "2" when needed, but I strongly advice against anything with below 200mm pen when it comes to making credits with t8s. This is especially true if you don't run a premium account constantly. Best example of that problem is the IS6 - hate it, love it, all the bounced and missed shots with that bad gun at t8 will eat any profit on standard account for an avg. or bad player. Even a unicum won't make that many credits with that tank on a standard account.

Things like the Löwe with it's superb gun (handling) are much better suited for generating a profit.

Just now, Folterknecht said:

I'm a little out of loop when it comes to tanks, but I 'd like to point out an important factor when it comes to t8 premiums.

Penetration with standard rounds is the most important factor when it comes to making credits. Regardless of how good some of the tanks with preferential MM are, as long as you don't have at least 220mm pen, you 'll be forced to fire premium rounds to often especially as a medicore or bad player, if you want to 've an impact on the game.

Good players can often live with ~200mm pen and dab "2" when needed, but I strongly advice against anything with below 200mm pen when it comes to making credits with t8s. This is especially true if you don't run a premium account constantly. Best example of that problem is the IS6 - hate it, love it, alled the bounced and missed shots with that bad gun at t8 will eat any profit on standard account for an avg. or bad player. If a unicum won't make thaT many credits with that tank on standard account.

Things like the Löwe with it's superb gun (handling) are much better suited for generating a profit.

Well the Patriot has 230 pen on standard (almost the same as the Lowe) and the shell cost is very cheap. Sure the Lowe is great but it is more expensive and the Patriot can play better in the endgame getting more cleanup dmg which is always great for profits. Being faster and great at hulldown looks like it much more noob friendly to me, but i can be wrong since i dont have both. Then again a Patriot is much easier to use in SH or Team Battles where you can farm credits way better than in randoms.

42 minutes ago, nabucodonsor said:

Well the Patriot has 230 pen on standard (almost the same as the Lowe) and the shell cost is very cheap. Sure the Lowe is great but it is more expensive and the Patriot can play better in the endgame getting more cleanup dmg which is always great for profits. Being faster and great at hulldown looks like it much more noob friendly to me, but i can be wrong since i dont have both. Then again a Patriot is much easier to use in SH or Team Battles where you can farm credits way better than in randoms.

I might have been not clear enough. I wasn't comparing the Partiot (no experience with it) to the Löwe (2K games before buffs), I was just pointing out a general rule when it comes to t8 prems and credit making. My statement might be better read, if you put Löwe + Partiot on one side and tanks like the IS6, KV5 and SuperPershing on the other.

5 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

I might have been not clear enough. I wasn't comparing the Partiot (no experience with it) to the Löwe (2K games before buffs), I was just pointing out a general rule when it comes to t8 prems and credit making. My statement might be better read, if you put Löwe + Partiot on one side and tanks like the IS6, KV5 and SuperPershing on the other.

Oh ok lol sorry I did not get it, but yeah you are absolutely right

9 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

Id take a lowe over a patriot tbh. Lowe has 320 alpha and AP normalisation on cred ammo and better gun handling.

Good armor buys time to inflict more dmg so tank makes more credits. Obvious choice is Lowe or Patriot. T34 is too slow, Liberte has well known weakspots, Defender is retarded. 

11 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

TBH the only thing the Patriot has over the Löwe is 300 more DPM and 5km/h extra top speed. In every other aspect the Löwe is better. Little known fact, but the Löwe has higher credit multiplier, than the regular tier 8 prems, so the shell cost doesn't give an advantage for the Patriot. I am not saying the Patriot doesn't worth the money, it is maybe an even better choice for a new player. I am just saying it is not generally better than the Löwe, only situationally. 

3 hours ago, Politx_Killer said:

Id take a lowe over a patriot tbh. Lowe has 320 alpha and AP normalisation on cred ammo and better gun handling.

It depends on the map and team composition, but to me the Patriot works better with a team of is3/defender having even the speed to keep up with them and flex around the map. As good the Lowe is flexing is not really its strong suit.

52 minutes ago, TAdoo87 said:

TBH the only thing the Patriot has over the Löwe is 300 more DPM and 5km/h extra top speed. In every other aspect the Löwe is better. Little known fact, but the Löwe has higher credit multiplier, than the regular tier 8 prems, so the shell cost doesn't give an advantage for the Patriot. I am not saying the Patriot doesn't worth the money, it is maybe an even better choice for a new player. I am just saying it is not generally better than the Löwe, only situationally. 

Patriot has 400 more dpm on 100% crew and it is not simply faster has higher pw/t meaning it can go at full speed with ease. Again being able to flex around the map and still be great at holding hulldown positions (while even costing less real money), makes it easier to use therefore more noob friendly like OP asked. 

The Lowe is better for sure on city maps being able to sidescrape and having higher alpha, but a Patriot can push a flank better thanks to the higher dpm. I always think of the Lowe as a defensive tank and a very good one, but the Patriot can be defensive too (not as good maybe but very good anyway), but can also flex, flank, push with allies and permatrack. 

Another thing about the Lowe is that, to me at least, works only when players come to you. When I see a Lowe I can always decide to face it or run away so I decide the engagement not him. Instead a Patriot can go to enemies or if wants leave. This means that if you make a mistake with it you can just run away. A sLowe cant.

TL;DR: both are amazing but to me the Patriot requires less positional knowledge and can dictate the fight's pacing while the Lowe is a bit more passive. 

3 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

Good armor buys time to inflict more dmg so tank makes more credits. Obvious choice is Lowe or Patriot. T34 is too slow, Liberte has well known weakspots, Defender is retarded. 

Defender would also work. Retarded or not the alpha here means a lot. It's uncomfortable but I'd argue Defender is perfect for bad players and suboptimal for good ones .

5 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

You do realise that the Löwe is still slow as shit and if you aren’t a decent player you’re gonna have a very rough time in it.

Patriot is 100% the better tank for winning so it’s the better tank by definition, while Löwe is a great tank and creditmaker I’ll guarantee that the average player will net more in the Patriot.

Bad side’s that it’s not always available and Löwe is certainly good so I wouldnt set it aside. It’s still a great tank

1 hour ago, Kolni said:

You do realise that the Löwe is still slow as shit and if you aren’t a decent player you’re gonna have a very rough time in it.

Patriot is 100% the better tank for winning so it’s the better tank by definition, while Löwe is a great tank and creditmaker I’ll guarantee that the average player will net more in the Patriot.

Bad side’s that it’s not always available and Löwe is certainly good so I wouldnt set it aside. It’s still a great tank

That is why I said, that the Patriot is worth the money and it is maybe even better for new players. The avg player will definitely do better in a Patriot. I am not so sure about a below avg player, that is why I wrote "maybe better". 

Thank you my bros, I kinda figured it would boil down to patriot vs lowe, both are awesome looking, but I think I will choose the option of patriot due to the convincing argument @nabucodonsor made about how the lowe is more passive and the patriot can dictate the fight better. This is important as it will be a good and dynamic learning platform for the player compared to the lowes often static and unchanging playstyle.

I'm all done here, again thanks a bunch for the advice!

I have played Lowe on test server and Patriot on live. 

I would pick Lowe for a new / not that good player, I think it forgives mistakes much more.

Pick the one that matches your budget

Patriot is more fun to play

The Lowe will earn more credits

21 hours ago, yuryi said:

Thank you my bros, I kinda figured it would boil down to patriot vs lowe, both are awesome looking, but I think I will choose the option of patriot due to the convincing argument @nabucodonsor made about how the lowe is more passive and the patriot can dictate the fight better. This is important as it will be a good and dynamic learning platform for the player compared to the lowes often static and unchanging playstyle.

I think it's the more "static" playstyle of the Loewe which is part of the reason why I'd recommend it first.  The pew-pew gun of the Patrio requires that you be exposed more - you cannot outtrade (not that the 320 alpha on the Loewe really frightens anyone same tier or higher, but still).  The Patriot really requires playskills more like a medium - you have to know how to poke and use your mobility, b/c the hull armor on the Patriot is paper from the sides/rear, and even the front is pretty easy to pen unless well-angled.  To me the Loewe is the more forgiving tank to play by far, and being less mobile can help keep a newbie from getting him/herself in trouble.  And the better accuracy/soft stats will matter - relying more on mobility and only exposing your gun mantlet while having worse gun handling makes the Patriot IMHO a more difficult tank to play for the new player.

Lowe.

armor. Check.

gun handling. Check.

standard pen. Check.

gold rounds that work in super heavy meta. Check.

Sexy as fuck? Check.

Newer players often do better in slower tanks because they can't yolo\overextend and the extra time they have to spend travelling will let the battle "take shape" before they get there making it easier to see where they should go.

19 minutes ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Newer players often do better in slower tanks because they can't yolo\overextend and the extra time they have to spend travelling will let the battle "take shape" before they get there making it easier to see where they should go.

Not only that, but learning armor angling is key, and you can do that in a Loewe, but not really in a hull-down heavium.  I'd even recommend the Loewe for the competently mediocre player as well (like me, absent the competent part).

I'm coming out for team Patriot on this one.  No matter what tier or map, its able to have a useful roll whether its rolling with tier X meds in a city, holding a corner hull down like a US heavy, bullying in the rare top-tier game, or even permatracking a TD.  There is an inherent inflexibility in slow tanks that can really suck the joy out of a game for a new player.  Choose the wrong flank on sand river in a Lowe and your just alone in the sand.

I am anti-Patriot on this one. You say your friend needs a tier 8 credit earner. With the current matchmaking, the Patriot is a poor earner for me. I end up firing premium way too much. To be sure, I am probably bad. But so is your friend. So maybe my opinion is most realistic.

My opinion on the best tier 8 credit earners is not very valuable because I don't have the newer premiums. With that caveat, my best credit-earner by far is the Skorpion. I also do pretty well on credits in the Super Pershing with its preferential matchmaking and adequate gun. Of the two, the Spersh is probably okay for noobs, while the Skorpion could be problematic.

But why the obsession with tier 8? No matter the tank, a noob may end up losing at tier 8 and not making credits. I would lean strongly towards tier 7 and the Berlin IS-2 if it is on sale. Or how about the T-34-85M, Bromwell, or Type 64 at tier 6? What about some of the stuff at tier 5 -- like the lefty for steady earning and trollish fun? (I'll now duck after suggesting an arty.)

With respect OP nowhere in your post do you mention what tank types your friend likes driving, what nations and tank types they are grinding or possibly they would like to grind next?

Point is whatever you get him he will have to live with and run daily for a very long time and while the buffed Loewe and the Patriot are both good premium choices are either even a tank type he will enjoy driving and are they nations he is grinding crews for?

There is a truth in that the best credit grinder is the tank you enjoy playing because odds are you tend to play well in tanks you enjoy.

Don’t pick the tank you like the most pick the tank you honestly think he will enjoy the most that also suits crew xp development in a line they want to get to tier 10.

If that is US or German heavies then fine but if they ultimately want to get to tier 10 Soviet hovermed or say French medium autoloaders for example then perhaps there are better choices.

20 hours ago, xtc4 said:

But why the obsession with tier 8? No matter the tank, a noob may end up losing at tier 8 and not making credits. I would lean strongly towards tier 7 and the Berlin IS-2 if it is on sale. Or how about the T-34-85M, Bromwell, or Type 64 at tier 6?

For someone with the skills the OP is describing, I'd skip the Type 64 entirely.  Sure, it's a beast, but paper scouts aren't exactly noob-friendly, not even really good paper scouts.

I agree, though, regarding tier - Berlin IS-2 would be a great and friendly choice (and you can spam HE against higher tiers to conserve credits, if that's your thing), or the Rudy (which I'd recommend over the 34-85M due to the crew layout).  Bromwell in the hands of newbie is a recipe for getting oneself in trouble, IMHO.

If you're in Asia server and have the opportunity to, buy the Nameless.

Otherwise, the overall consensus seems to be Lowe or Patriot.