Ketzstar

What's currently the best T8 for doubloons?

26 posts in this topic

So, after selling the Belfast for her full dubloon price (yes, I didn't like her, please don't kill me), I suddenly have around 13000 doubloons and wondered what could be done with that.

And, as I don't have a T8 Premium so far and the Christmas sales will probably start in the not so far future, I wanted to get some opinions what currently the best/most OP/fun tier 8 is that can be bought with doubloons.

Some points to consider:

• I am mostly a BBaby
  • highest tiers: Bismarck (decent stats in it, almost finished), Amagi (mediocre), Kagero (bad, still learning), New Orleans (only unlocked, no moneyz)
  • am at best mediocre in CA/CL, random full health deletions are a bit infuriating
  • doing decently in DDs up until T7
  • already got a Scharnhorst, so only mildly interested in the Tirpitz
  • Only at T6 in CVs, not overly interested in that RTS gameplay

So, I'm looking for something a bit more tanky or at least not so prone to getting citadelled from all directions.

The Roma and Jean Bart are probably going to come soon, too. Maybe wait for them? I got a real hard on for them sexy French quad turrets :frenchy: and Roma seems to get the conceilment of a CL.

Another idea: Should I maybe convert them doubloons to free xp and get the Missouri? I am currently sitting on something like 320k free xp which I wanted to save for the Nelson. But 12500 doubloons*25=312500 fxp, so I would need 117000 more for her.

Please give me some input!

The Mizz straight prints credits.  The Tirpitz is the Bismarck with 1 less secondary gun and torps.  The Atago is a really good ship, its hands down better than the Mogami because of heal and better torp arcs.

Nelson is a good idea because of how often you will be top tier due to MM trends.  My only hesitation for you in getting the Missouri is that tier 9 BB's will get tier 10 matchmaking all the time, and you have little familiarity with tier 10 game play..  I would hold off on the Missouri purchase until you get the North Carolina and see if you like the US 16" guns and their low shell travel speed.  These shells are deadly and do great pen damage, but they are much slower than  people realize and often new players hate them.

Tirpizt is one of the best and most fun premium, especially if you have a secondary Bismarck captain.

Remember Tirpitz does not have hydro which imho makes it straight out worse than Bismarck, those Tirpitz torpedoes do not really compensate that.

6 hours ago, sahtila said:

Remember Tirpitz does not have hydro which imho makes it straight out worse than Bismarck, those Tirpitz torpedoes do not really compensate that.

I hardly ever have had a need to use Hydro, I've been running BBs since OBT and just never really think about it outside a few situations. I just naturally use my WASD hacks all the time

9 hours ago, sahtila said:

yeah but torps are great for yolo charges and when storms hit, then they are very useful and, like psyco said, if your a half decent player, hydro on BB isnt that big of a deal, while torps arent amazing either having that deterrent against being rushed is great.

Honestly both are super situational, but since the smoke nerf, a big plus for hydro on bismarck was taken away, since you cant realy sit in smoke with hydro up anymore (was very strong in plats).

Based on your analysis, I'd say Tirpitz is best for you. I'm of the persuasion that Atago is still one of the best tier 8 cruisers, solely because she has a heal, and thus, can be forgiving of mistakes. Kii hasn't yet made it to tech tree, if ever, and Alabama is a little harder to play, due to having weaker armor, and more skill reliant guns, while also not making it into the tree yet.

Thanks all for the input so far.

After watching some videos I'm tempted to take the Atago as I already have a handful of (lower) BB premiums. Or the Tirpitz? I'm having a blast in BB knife fights. And she could fit that role really well...

Missouri is still not out of the discussion though.

23 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

My only hesitation for you in getting the Missouri is that tier 9 BB's will get tier 10 matchmaking all the time, and you have little familiarity with tier 10 game play..  I would hold off on the Missouri purchase until you get the North Carolina and see if you like the US 16" guns and their low shell travel speed.  These shells are deadly and do great pen damage, but they are much slower than  people realize and often new players hate them.

I'm currently at the Colorado in the US tree. Does the gun handling change drastically from t7 to 8 and up? As I found these guns to work quite comfortably so far and calibre wise they stay the same from there on.

I did not see a huge difference between T7 to T8 US gun handling. As far as earning goes, if you are a BB baby, then get one of the BB's.

The NC has slower shells - you need to re-adjust your leads to get good hits. Also, the immunity zone is a little closer in than usual, so you often need to aim a little higher at mid range to prevent bounces off the belt armor (as the shells drop more than you expect). 

Right now Tier 8 MM is a little bit FUBAR based on how often you get 10s.

1 hour ago, Ketzstar said:

After watching some videos I'm tempted to take the Atago as I already have a handful of (lower) BB premiums. Or the Tirpitz? I'm having a blast in BB knife fights. And she could fit that role really well...

Missouri is still not out of the discussion though.

I'm currently at the Colorado in the US tree. Does the gun handling change drastically from t7 to 8 and up? As I found these guns to work quite comfortably so far and calibre wise they stay the same from there on.

I found the NC to be significantly more consistent than Colorado, in terms of shell placement. Iowa is better yet. 

The play style changes, you go from a show ship that has to angle to a ship that is fairly quick and had to go bow on. Plus your pretty much going to be completely in all high tier matches which means that meta. It took me a while to get a handle on it

4 hours ago, Ketzstar said:

Tirpitz works best at 10-12k anyways.  So getting that close and letting your secondaries rip will help you.  25-40k in secondary damage alone is a nice boost.  The meta has shifted a bit away from where German BB's are as effective, it seems like everything is a bit more standoffish now, but if you're willing to be aggressive and have a bit of support, you can lead pushes even against tier 10's.  The German BB armor is quite forgiving. 

2 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

The play style changes, you go from a show ship that has to angle to a ship that is fairly quick and had to go bow on. Plus your pretty much going to be completely in all high tier matches which means that meta. It took me a while to get a handle on it

NC in no way has to go bow on. It's the same as any other BB, angle well to reduce damage, show broadside, get smacked.

My vote for the best tier 8 for making silver goes to the Kutuzov - as long as you have a half decent RU captain.

Kutuzov brings her own smoke, long range accurate guns and 8km torps. Everything you need to make money.

Flamu is also a big fan of the ship and has posted enough videos to show you how to play it and how well it can do.

Hasn't it been withdrawn?

4 hours ago, bathoz said:

Hasn't it been withdrawn?

Yeah the Kutozov and Belfast aren't for sale any longer. I'm not sure if they still drop in super containers or not. Maybe my well heeled brethren can answer that question... ;)

6 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

My vote for the best tier 8 for making silver goes to the Kutuzov - as long as you have a half decent RU captain.

Kutuzov brings her own smoke, long range accurate guns and 8km torps. Everything you need to make money.

Flamu is also a big fan of the ship and has posted enough videos to show you how to play it and how well it can do.

It may be good for silver, but you have to be able to play well, otherwise, you're food. Since he said he was mediocre in cruisers, I avoided that.

HSF Harekaze is probably the best T8 earner if you have a 10 IJN captain laying around. You have to learn to play without smoke and torp reload booster. It is fun and kind of crazy.

1 hour ago, Jarkorsis said:

HSF Harekaze is probably the best T8 earner if you have a 10 IJN captain laying around. You have to learn to play without smoke and torp reload booster. It is fun and kind of crazy.

I'm currently doing that in the Kagero. Got the first Kraken just yesterday in her. Having 16 tin fish in the water at once is just plain evil.

But the Harekaze isn't so easily available, right?

Yeah, 2 problems right there: not for doubloons, and I'm playing on EU :trump:

For Tier 8 dubloons there really aren't that many choices.

Alabama, Tirpitz, Atago, Prince Eugen and Enterprise. Oooh, Lo Yang.

Now, there's one indifferent ship and some good ones in that bunch, but I'd suggest none of them.

From your commentary, the Tirpitz is what one would suggest. Except you've got a Scharnhorst, so don't really need the doubling up. Don't get me wrong, Tirpitz is fun and good. But it's not as fun or good as the Scharnhorst.

This isn't World of tanks, and tier 8 isn't the magic tier where all the fun and happiness exists. In WoWS that tier is currently tier 7.

Anyway, enough waffling and some suggestions:

1. If this is about grinding cash, get a Missouri. It shits credits. It's a good ship. It's a different line for you to have a trainer in.
  2. If this is about grinding cash, and you have patience, sit on the doubloons and buy tier X perma-camo for whichever tier X you get to first.
  3. Wait for the Kidd to hit the tech tree and get that.