Sign in to follow this  
sohojacques

More assisted in my T49

9 posts in this topic

Last 3 games in the T49 netted me 3 Ace Wankers. Obviously, I'm pretty happy with the result. But I know there was a heap more assisted damage out there. I suspect good LT players would've cleared 10k assisted easily in the first game. Help me chode better. Warning: the following contains a distinct lack of butt shots.

Campinovka:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3977279#malinovka-frankbob-t49

Doing it KV-2 style on Swamp:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3977281#swamp-frankbob-t49

Standard Fiery Salient hill spotting:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3977283#fiery_salient-frankbob-t49

I watched your replays and here are some general thoughts I had instead of a timestamped replay breakdown. You are aiming your shots fully when you can, keeping your tank healthy and in safe positions. That's a good start. Its clear you are playing on the safer side of the safety/aggression spectrum. So to find the additional assistance you want, the place to look will be the more risky plays that you might not be seeing as easily. The unfortunate thing about looking for plays that are more dangerous than your normal comfort level is that you will make mistakes and die as you learn what is too much and too soon. The benefit is obviously that you will come out as a better player overall when you can walk that fine line more efficiently.

Looking at your overall T49 stats shows that there is some extra damage out there for you (1537 current average as I'm looking at it). This could be accomplished from turning one of your hits per game into a pen via being aggressive when it is safe to do so; or splashing for more damage by aiming for turrets or super structures that are positioned above thin engine deck armor (see the splashing engine deck post by @dualmaster333 in the Sheridan thread)... or just hitting an additional shot. There are also a few percentage points of win rate that you can improve via that higher damage per battle which I just mentioned or alternatively more assistance damage like you referenced in your title. I wasn't able to see your average assisted per battle or your overall hit percentage in your T49. Post those numbers if you'd like, so we can see a bit more information. Also, generally speaking there is less to give advice about when you link 3 ace tanker replays. Show me replays where you lost a semi close match. Show me replays on Steppes, Airfield, Ruinberg.

In the most simple terms.. to get more assistance damage you should position yourself wherever there is the most enemy HP remaining. For example, in the Malinovka game you made an effort to drive all the way up the hill to spot a sub 100hp T30... you could have used the amount of time you spent setting up and coordinating with your team to re-position to the other flank that had a full HP med and 2 arty. Let me take a moment to say that I think getting that T30 out of the game was good, but if you are asking about damage/xp/assistance maximization that is an example of something you could do differently. In the fiery salient game you did a good job of playing the hill and being responsible for winning that flank. However as far as maximizing goes there is generally more to be soaked up by playing the middle, between short active spotting runs and jumping back and forth from positioning to shoot the hill and shooting the 1-4 lines and possibly even getting the E1 bush at some point in the mid-game.

The main thing in the 3 games you posted that I didn't see you do is switch your flank fully from east to west when things stall. I don't know if that is a play you are comfortable with and just didn't see a need to do it in these games, or maybe something you could use more. Impacting more than one flank by using your speed is a great way to get more out of your games and light tanks are the best at being able to pull that off. Another big thing you can incorporate is forcing a booty shot situation when you know an enemy is isolated. If they are sub 900hp you don't even need to have an escape plan! Keeping a count of enemy tanks or using a mod to do it for you is a great way to see these opportunities in real time.

That's all I've got for now. I'd be happy to check out some more replays if you post them

Thanks for the input @rev01ution

Literally just finished a game on Airfield:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3977518#airfield-frankbob-t49

Pretty KV-2 style again. Need to start saving all my replays again as I had a close loss on Sand River just a couple of game before.

I am being overly cautious. Just coming off a solid run of yolo-related tilt. My brain can shutdown for remarkably long periods of time.

1 hour ago, rev01ution said:

to get more assistance damage you should position yourself wherever there is the most enemy HP remaining

This is so on the money. As you say: good to get rid of the T30; even better to have relocated entirely.

Stats for my last 138 battles in the T49: dpg 1689; assisted 1064. So pretty shitty. Overall hit ratio for the T49 is 66.44.

Thanks again for your time.

Don't be too critical of yourself, we all have brain shutdown issues. That airfield game looks good, I would have played basically the same. I probably would have added an attempt to engine deck pen that T-10 while he was distracted by your teammate. It would have put you in front of the AT-15s gun, but you could afford to take a hit from him. The wildcard would have been the arty, maybe they hit you maybe they don't. Also when playing from the middle, there is a bush at approx F5/6 that can spot the very common E5 position for the enemy. After the enemy Cent AX and Patton who are fighting for the hill are dead, that becomes an option for an extra place to poke.

1064 average assistance isn't shitty, but more is always better.

You're thinking about this the wrong way. These games were fine and you got plenty out of them. I mean, breaking 10k assist is very rare (easily less than 1% of light tank games I would guess). Heck, breaking half that isn't even that common. In the games you posted you got quite a bit of assist and really can't expect more.

If you really wanted to boost your average assisted then you really need to examine a number of your average games. Occasional peaks don't move your average very much; moderate boosts regularly change it much more.

@dualmaster333 I’ve run out of rep to give. But you’re at the front of the queue.

Need to generate some replays on Ensk, etc. I’m even considering starting a map specific how to chode thread, unless you lot don’t mind me filling up the existing T49 thread with map specific questions?

1 hour ago, sohojacques said:

I’m even considering starting a map specific how to chode thread, unless you lot don’t mind me filling up the existing T49 thread with map specific questions?

Something like the following thread dedicated to the chode life would be epic.

Here's an unexceptional game and close loss on Arctic Region:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3979399#arctic_region-frankbob-t49

I'm pretty over piss-farting around in the north of this map and go south in any tank that I think can make a contribution there now. Relocate north later if it looks viable. I think we lost cause the the T26E4 nicked off in an attempt to flank, isolating both of us. But it's easy to blame others and gg overall to the SP.

22 hours ago, dualmaster333 said:

I mean, breaking 10k assist is very rare

Me being the only scout in the game is what made me think that this kind of assisted was possibly on offer to a better player than myself