Sign in to follow this  
kaneaaa

Best way to learn how to be a strong player at tier 10?

26 posts in this topic

I was just wondering is there a particular strategy to training at tier 10 which works well? And what is it about playing at tier 10 which is the hardest thing to grasp?

I am not the strongest player by any means so take with a grain of salt / go with what the purples say.

I find in order to do well at tier 10 you need a strong 'core' set of skills learnt from the tanks tier 6-9. One can't fumble through the lower tiers, buy a tier 10 and then learn how to play that tank and expect to do well.
If you don't know how to play the T54 - you are going to struggle with the T62a. If you can't make the Conq work - you are going to struggle with the S.Conq.

I find the hardest thing about playing at tier 10 which is the hardest thing to grasp is when to make the most of the opportunities provided in order to win games. Something that comes 2nd nature to the purples I watch on stream.
EG - when to go balls to the walls aggressive and when to conserve hit points for the late game clean-up.  This comes down to map awareness, team layout (both your own and the other teams) and a solid foundation of game mechanics.

*Edit - Spelling is 'ard.

Tier X is really kinda a culmination of ideas. You need to know your tank (since usually the tier 9 is the training-wheeled version of it), you need to have knowledge of restraint (due to high DPM and high alpha tanks floating around) and also aggression (since players are usually more aware at tier X so it's a little harder to open up with aggressive maneuvers leaving smaller opportunities). You also need to have knowledge of the bulli (since tier X is so strong compared to tier 8).

To specifically answer question 1: The best way to learn is to play. This goes for many things, but practice makes perfect. If you don't play a tank well (like I was with the 50 B for a bit), play it until you play it well. Another excellent way is to watch other people play the tank to get a feel for its playstyle if you struggle with it (since some tier 9s change (SU-122-54 vs Obj 263, T-10 vs IS-7) from their tier X counterparts).

For question 2: I see people struggle the most with aggression/pushing. Frequently you'll see tier X players not know when to bully, when to push, when to exploit. This really applies at all tiers, but it becomes really apparent when you see tier X tanks just not 1v1 a tier 8. Most of the time you out-alpha, out-DPM and out-armor most tier 8 tanks. Certain exceptions exist when you play a non-turreted TD however.

Honestly the best way to improve is 3 marking tanks. Why?, basically cuz you need farm as much dmg as you can for a big amount of games in order to get it. And to farm a lot of dmg, you need to understand when, where, and how to be aggressive or passive depending on the situation you are. Improves map reading, improves sit. awareness, improves positioning, and all the other skills you need to become a superior player. The only issue i see it's the fact that it might be REALLY frustrating to try it on certain tanks, but it's far by the best way to improve in general in WoT

You need to learn to not be mentally lazy which means you are constantly observing and evaluating the flow of battle, watching the mini map, looking for opportunities. This is what I learned (to an even greater extent) recently when I platooned with a couple guys from -G-. They are very active when playing, never sitting still, unless that is what is needed but the majority of the time they are on the move. Players that do not excel or don't even do decently are ones that are just stuck mentally, too one-dimensional. They don't observe their surroundings and tend to tunnel-vision too often, fixated on one specific thing instead of taking in the bigger picture.

Analyze your games. If you have to go as far as re-watching your own replays to do so, then do it. I've done my time with re-watching my replays, cringing and learning at the same time. God I hated myself so much lol, such retard :wave:

But it helps, it gets your awareness up, you see how to improve, put it to action, get results, then push further. Never play unless you are interested and invested, playing 'just because' is never getting you there. Set a goal, like a new DPG in all tier 10s/3moe. Just have the goal be in reach, like if you have 200 games in the 140 and f.ex 2300 avg dmg, make the goal to have 2500 avg dmg, then 2700 avg dmg, etc.

18 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

You need to learn to not be mentally lazy which means you are constantly observing and evaluating the flow of battle, watching the mini map, looking for opportunities. This is what I learned recently when I platooned with a couple guys from -G-. They are very active when playing, never sitting still, unless that is what is needed but the majority of the time they are on the move. Players that do not excel or don't even do decently are ones that are just stuck mentally, too one-dimensional. They don't observe their surroundings and tend to tunnel-vision too often, fixated on one specific thing instead of taking in the bigger picture.

Nice summary.

Just now, DirtyACE7 said:

Gracias! Was hoping to at least sound semi-intelligent writing that ;)

Nail hit on head most definitely! :)

Green shitter tip of the week:

After weeks/months of getting bullied by higher tiered tanks you realize how powerful they are.  Then you finally get OP Tier X and now you can bully!  So, of course you #Yolo420BlazeIt cuz tier X is OP. 

Don't do that.  

11 minutes ago, igorCRO said:

Watch X3N4's replays.

I so wish he was still playing. Loved watching his videos and streams. His vids had a huge effect on my own game and allowed me to go from being a solid green (1.5 WN8) player to borderline purple almost overnight.

19 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Green shitter tip of the week:

After weeks/months of getting bullied by higher tiered tanks you realize how powerful they are.  Then you finally get OP Tier X and now you can bully!  So, of course you #Yolo420BlazeIt cuz tier X is OP. 

Don't do that.  

This green shitter will second your green shitter advice.  I recently saw my jpe100 WR go from 65% to 58% b/c I got into precisely that mindset. :(

6 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

I so wish he was still playing. Loved watching his videos and streams. His vids had a huge effect on my own game and allowed me to go from being a solid green (1.5 WN8) player to borderline purple almost overnight.

The same happened with me! ;)

17 hours ago, igorCRO said:

The same happened with me! ;)

Have you checked out this youtube channel? It has several of X3N4's replay packs and the person who owns the channel also did commentary for each game:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHsZkS_Vhf6O1XEm3q9efA/playlists

1 hour ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Have you checked out this youtube channel? It has several of X3N4's replay packs and the person who owns the channel also did commentary for each game:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHsZkS_Vhf6O1XEm3q9efA/playlists

Yup, @BatGurl's put out some good shit.

There are two things to be gud @ Wot:

Macro - where to go and how long to stay and where to go next

Micro - what to do where you went

Be aware that it may be that you can't wrap your head around one or both of these. In my case I could never wrap my head around the micro thing (being an old guy). I usually knew where to aim but in the heat of the snapshot I aimed wrong. I drove against walls and didn't manage to lock the auto aim or locked the auto aim on the wrong target. And if I got angry at myself I also forgot the Macro. Went WAY too agressively and got damage/killed way to early.

With that out of the way: how do you get there:

You watch vids/replays BUT you do NOT simply consume these! Watching Circon or X3n4 or Straik can teach you a lot or nothing. It can only teach you alot if you CONSTANTLY ask yourself "what would I do now?" and then look wether the Unicorn is doing it, and if not, why not? How could he know? This means you need to browse the minimap constantly, remember LOS restriction/spotting ranges, bush mechanics and enemy team roster - amongs others.

Then you try to replicate this during play only to fail horribly at first - likely even dropping in WN8! Thisis where you need to man up and don't give up! Don't hesitate to get worse in the short run to get better in the long run - you need to tear down whats wrong and rebuild whats right and this will cost you in the meantime.

Yes, that may feel more like work than fun - noone said being a Unicorn is easy for everyone (it is for some, very few, "true" Unicorns) and the game is made in the way it is to make it as hard as possible to feel sure about your game. SO many things are random and can go wrong.

In the end, if you prevail, you will be a Unicorn or die trying :-)

On 12/13/2017 at 6:07 AM, kaneaaa said:

I was just wondering is there a particular strategy to training at tier 10 which works well? And what is it about playing at tier 10 which is the hardest thing to grasp?

Protip: play Tier 9 and feel good about being a shitter instead of being focused by triple arta and spamming full HEAT at Maus/fotm hulldown tank. 

Umm. Seriously though, I'd say that as with every other tier in the game, don't gimp yourself by playing shit tanks. Play something that you are reasonably comfortable with, and don't yolo like I do in my 5A thinking I'm in a T-10. 

Tbh to me Tier 10 is just a really punishing tier to play. Everyone will have good crews and equipment possibly with food, and spamming at least 50% gold, so positioning, micro-and-macro plays as pointed out by @Jaegaer will make a lot of difference. To some extent, whether out of e-peen or just the cost involved, everyone tries harder at Tier 10 than they usually do. People are more cautious. People don't run amok like they do in low tiers to be farmed. Even reds camp harder than usual. 

I am not sure if this is confirmation bias but I've seen a disproportionate amount of TDs at Tier 10 compared to say 9, or, to a lesser extent, 8. The Swedish TDs, both British lines and the Jagd E 100 are really terrible in that they inhibit active play. There's a limit to how good positioning can mitigate that.

If you're good (not like me), Tier 10 will be rewarding. You always have an influence on your matches. The question is what you can make of it.

1 hour ago, lavawing said:

Protip: play Tier 9 and feel good about being a shitter instead of being focused by triple arta and spamming full HEAT at Maus/fotm hulldown tank. 

Umm. Seriously though, I'd say that as with every other tier in the game, don't gimp yourself by playing shit tanks. Play something that you are reasonably comfortable with, and don't yolo like I do in my 5A thinking I'm in a T-10. 

Tbh to me Tier 10 is just a really punishing tier to play. Everyone will have good crews and equipment possibly with food, and spamming at least 50% gold, so positioning, micro-and-macro plays as pointed out by @Jaegaer will make a lot of difference. To some extent, whether out of e-peen or just the cost involved, everyone tries harder at Tier 10 than they usually do. People are more cautious. People don't run amok like they do in low tiers to be farmed. Even reds camp harder than usual. 

I am not sure if this is confirmation bias but I've seen a disproportionate amount of TDs at Tier 10 compared to say 9, or, to a lesser extent, 8. The Swedish TDs, both British lines and the Jagd E 100 are really terrible in that they inhibit active play. There's a limit to how good positioning can mitigate that.

If you're good (not like me), Tier 10 will be rewarding. You always have an influence on your matches. The question is what you can make of it.

I guess also there are tanks you just click with. Keep playing those I guess? For example for some reason I'm really enjoying the tvp whereas the batchart not so much. So maybe I should play more tvp for now. 

5 hours ago, MissNurki said:

Check if X3N4 still has his topic up here, where he posted batches of replays in zip-folders. Top quality stuff.

YW :D

Except that none of the replays work anymore :(

Just now, DirtyACE7 said:

Ok so how am I supposed to know which version to use to view the replays?

Check the file timestamp against the table or use a replay manager.

Just now, woe2you said:

Check the file timestamp against the table or use a replay manager.

Do you have a suggestion for a replay manager because I do not know of any?

Sign in to follow this