Sign in to follow this  
Sipher351

New build

56 posts in this topic

is Threadripper 1950x still worth it ? Thinking about picking one up, it's on sale near my area. I like to multitask a lot and something to kill my boredom over winter break.

7 hours ago, MAJEST1C said:

is Threadripper 1950x still worth it ? Thinking about picking one up, it's on sale near my area. I like to multitask a lot and something to kill my boredom over winter break.

Please open a seperate topic and describe what you are doing (multitasking) with your PC.

Made one minor tweak to the memory Folter selected ($10 USD more for 14 latency, why not?), and added in all the storage. I'm not too happy with the price but I have to remember that the monitor is almost 1/4 of it by itself so it's not as bad as I think. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3zcqYr

Not sure if you guys would know this, but I have a Windows 7 Home retail version that I did the free 10 upgrade on. Can I transfer that over? Google seems to give conflicting results.

If I do have to fork over for a new full copy of 10, is there any reason to go for Pro over Home? Gaming and media streaming to my PS3 are the only real use cases. 

2 hours ago, Sipher351 said:

Made one minor tweak to the memory Folter selected ($10 USD more for 14 latency, why not?), and added in all the storage.

That's fine as long as it doesn't break "your bank". Tighter timings from the manufacturer guaranties better bining and should result in greater OC headroom.

I'm not too happy with the price but I have to remember that the monitor is almost 1/4 of it by itself so it's not as bad as I think. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3zcqYr

In the pinned how-to-post topic here there is a link to things worth checking with a new monitor.

Not sure if you guys would know this, but I have a Windows 7 Home retail version that I did the free 10 upgrade on. Can I transfer that over? Google seems to give conflicting results.

If I do have to fork over for a new full copy of 10, is there any reason to go for Pro over Home? Gaming and media streaming to my PS3 are the only real use cases. 

Make a backup of your installation and extract the windows-key. It might be that you need that thing (MS telephon support/activation or similar things). BUt I'm not sure if it will work regardless.

2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

In the pinned how-to-post topic here there is a link to things worth checking with a new monitor.

Ok, I'll make sure to run those tests and calibrations when I get the new one. Thanks!

My bonus finally rolled in so it's time to pull the trigger on this. I did have one follow up question, I noticed that newegg has the Samsung EVO 860 for like $70 USD less than the 850s. Is the 860 a turd I should avoid or is it alright?

EVGA is selling graphics cards for near MSRP in their motherboard bundles and cooler bundles for several months.  It looks like they sold out of all the bundles except for the x299 bundles recently though.

1 hour ago, Sipher351 said:

My bonus finally rolled in so it's time to pull the trigger on this. I did have one follow up question, I noticed that newegg has the Samsung EVO 860 for like $70 USD less than the 850s. Is the 860 a turd I should avoid or is it alright?

There are promos on the new 860 EVO drives now because they are a new item.  Some retailers are already running out of the 850 series drives that the 860 replaced.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12347/samsung-announces-860-pro-and-860-evo-sata-ssds

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12348/the-samsung-860-pro-512gb-and-4tb-ssd-review

2 hours ago, Bavor said:

EVGA is selling graphics cards for near MSRP in their motherboard bundles and cooler bundles for several months.  It looks like they sold out of all the bundles except for the x299 bundles recently though.

There are promos on the new 860 EVO drives now because they are a new item.  Some retailers are already running out of the 850 series drives that the 860 replaced.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12347/samsung-announces-860-pro-and-860-evo-sata-ssds

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12348/the-samsung-860-pro-512gb-and-4tb-ssd-review

Yeah I was looking at those. None of the Boards would work for me though since I needed a 370 board. I was looking at the one with just the CPU cooler but I waffled on it too long and now it sold out. RIP me.

Edit: Well, they just put up bundles with 370 boards now, but they all come with 1080 TIs which is a little more than I wanted pay for. But, all the 1070 TIs I can find are listed for 850 anyway so that's literally what EVGA wants for one of their 1080 TIs in the two bundles with 370 boards. I'm actually thinking about it... 

5 hours ago, Sipher351 said:

They're essentially the same SSD but the 860 is able to withstand more read/writes so it has a longer projected life, along with maybe a tiny performance increase that you probably won't notice. I'm in the process of buying stuff for a new build as well and I bought a 500GB 860 for my primary game storage last week.

Finally got all my parts ordered. I was waiting to find the 1070 at anywhere close to MSRP and I hit the jackpot today and got it directly from EVGA. I did end up going with the Evo 860, saved me about $80 bucks. Also went with the ASUS ROG Swift PG249Q for the monitor because I couldn't find the AOC model in stock anywhere. Got it for $740 so not a huge loss there.

Got it all put together finally. Is the stability testing software for the Intel CPUs still the same as it used to be? 8 years is a long time in the PC world. Still have IntelBurnTest and Prime95, but I hear a lot about Cinebench too. Do I need to get some other tools in my belt or am I good with IBT and Prime?

4 hours ago, Sipher351 said:

Got it all put together finally. Is the stability testing software for the Intel CPUs still the same as it used to be? 8 years is a long time in the PC world. Still have IntelBurnTest and Prime95, but I hear a lot about Cinebench too. Do I need to get some other tools in my belt or am I good with IBT and Prime?

More than fine. I 'd only add Memtest86+ - run it over night (from USB stick - not under windows) after enabling XMP profile in BIOS.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:05 PM, Folterknecht said:

More than fine. I 'd only add Memtest86+ - run it over night (from USB stick - not under windows) after enabling XMP profile in BIOS.

Good call on memtest. It's good enough to boot and run software but fails memtest after about 3 and a half minutes without fail on XMP or standard. Throws up 80 errors then crashes in spectacular fashion. RMA here I come.

8 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Would be interested in your RMA experience with G-Skill.

Well for now the ball is still in Newegg's court because it's been less than 30 days since the purchase. I'll let you know how it goes though.

Well so far the RMA has been smooth. Getting an RMA issued from newegg was super easy, however getting them to send me a shipping label so I didn't have to front that myself was a bit more of a pain. You have to either call them or do the online chat with them and ask specifically for a return shipping label. Sat in the chat queue for over 3 hours. Once I got through only took 5 mins or so though.

My package got to their warehouse yesterday, they processed it and issued my return order within about 2 hours. Took till today for them to get it shipped out, and I'm expected to receive it Thursday which is exactly a week after I dropped the bad sticks in the mail with FedEx. Not too bad  imo. 

I was expecting them to hassle me a bit since the ram was good enough to boot with but I'm guessing based on the turnaround time that they just wanted to confirm that I returned both sticks and they weren't obviously damaged or altered. Guess I have the fact that GSkill warrants these sticks for life to thank for that. 

Thx for the feedback

11 hours ago, Sipher351 said:

I was expecting them to hassle me a bit since the ram was good enough to boot with but I'm guessing based on the turnaround time that they just wanted to confirm that I returned both sticks and they weren't obviously damaged or altered. ...

Next time take your smartphone and make a picture of the error message from Memtest and safe in case you have to deal with customer support (just in case) - not everytime it will go that smoothly.

I couldn't. It would throw up a few errors then the whole screen would artifact and the entire system would crash. 

On 4/11/2018 at 1:26 PM, Sipher351 said:

I couldn't. It would throw up a few errors then the whole screen would artifact and the entire system would crash. 

Apparently I lied. New RAM, same problem. I did manage to get a pic before it totally crashed:

The interesting thing is that if I let memtest run in single thread mode instead of multithreaded mode it runs fine. Got to 5 good passes overnight before I left for work this morning. Multithreaded crashes at the same spot every time.

memtest.gif

crash.gif

On 4/13/2018 at 10:46 AM, Folterknecht said:

Please try this version

https://www.memtest86.com/

With the not + version of memtest, I have 32 hours of successful testing without the XMP profile. Did about 15 hours on the default round robin test, then the last 17 on the parallel testing (although it only used 6 cores and not all 12 threads). 

I'll test it with the XMP enabled tonight.

I might have mislead you - sorry. Your 1st kit was probably fine. I think I remember that the other version of Memtest isn't compatible with modern platforms or DDR4 ... something along those lines.

20 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

I might have mislead you - sorry. Your 1st kit was probably fine. I think I remember that the other version of Memtest isn't compatible with modern platforms or DDR4 ... something along those lines.

RIP. Well, didn't cost me any $$, just a week with no PC. Which was ok with me, I ended up digging up some old RPGs out of my console game stash and having a go with them.

Yep, 15 hours and 24 passes with no errors in parallel mode with the XMP profile enabled this time.

Well my lottery results are finally in. 5.0 GHz at 1.40 Volts and 85C max temp. Not stellar but not the worst.

Sign in to follow this