Sign in to follow this  
Sipher351

New build

56 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sipher351 said:

Well my lottery results are finally in. 5.0 GHz at 1.40 Volts and 85C max temp. Not stellar but not the worst.

Looks defenitly average.

If you manage 4.8 or 4.9 GHz on all cores without AVX offset with only 1.3V or below, I 'd step down there. 1.4V in long run isn't that good for your CPU.

It's always best to run the CPU at it's sweetspot over the long run. Example for a fictional Haswell/Devils Canyon CPU:

speed --------- voltage

4.5 GHz - 1.2V

4.6 GHz - 1.25V

4.7 GHz - 1.3V

4.8 GHz - 1.4V

That's usually also the spot where you can still max our the RAM and IMC. Overclocking the RAM when you near or at the limit of the CPU frequency wise is often very tricky.

Do you folks think delidding my 8700K would be worth looking into before I put my new rig together? I've never done it before but I hear it drastically lowers temperatures. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of overclocking but I was wondering if it's worth delidding just to potentially increase the life span of the 8700K.

5 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Looks defenitly average.

If you manage 4.8 or 4.9 GHz on all cores without AVX offset with only 1.3V or below, I 'd step down there. 1.4V in long run isn't that good for your CPU.

It's always best to run the CPU at it's sweetspot over the long run. Example for a fictional Haswell/Devils Canyon CPU:

speed --------- voltage

4.5 GHz - 1.2V

4.6 GHz - 1.25V

4.7 GHz - 1.3V

4.8 GHz - 1.4V

That's usually also the spot where you can still max our the RAM and IMC. Overclocking the RAM when you near or at the limit of the CPU frequency wise is often very tricky.

I forgot to mention that's with a AVX offset of 3. I'm thinking of lowering the voltage and just rolling with it though. I actually got a good ~15 hours in Prime95 29.4 at 1.335 V, no issues in Cinebench either, but when I tried Prime95 26.6 that's when I had to start adding voltage. Took 1.4 V to get 24 hour stable but even at 1.35ish I could get 4 hours or so in Blend. Each 10 mV I added got me further and further. Also, before I got around to testing with 26.6 I had a pretty long gaming session, about 5 hours in ships without issue at 1.335 so I think I may park it around there and see how it goes. 

I don't do any video editing or streaming or any of that. Just gaming, so I think it might be alright. I also tried out offset voltage instead of manual but that shit boggles my mind. I set it to -100 mV and it maxes at 1.31 V in Cinebench which isn't enough and causes a crash but the same setting in Prime small FFT immediately jumps it up to over 1.44 Volts so I have to stop it right away so I don't fry the chip.

8 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

Do you folks think delidding my 8700K would be worth looking into before I put my new rig together? I've never done it before but I hear it drastically lowers temperatures. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of overclocking but I was wondering if it's worth delidding just to potentially increase the life span of the 8700K.

I delidded my overclocked 6700K with the rockit 88 kit.  It was pretty easy and dropped temps by 10-20 degrees C depending on the test.  

What is the warranty on the 8700K?  Some of my old Intel CPUs had 10 year warranties, but it seems that newer Intel CPUs have shorter warranties.  If you don't overclock the 8700K should easily last 5+ years.  However the temps may increase at the TIM dries up.  If you plan to keep it much longer than the warranty period, delidding it may help.

On 22/04/2018 at 2:46 AM, Bavor said:

What is the warranty on the 8700K?  Some of my old Intel CPUs had 10 year warranties, but it seems that newer Intel CPUs have shorter warranties.  If you don't overclock the 8700K should easily last 5+ years.  However the temps may increase at the TIM dries up.  If you plan to keep it much longer than the warranty period, delidding it may help.

I'd assume the warranty thing is because smaller processes are at increased risk from electromigration.

Well, my GPU started bugging out on me now, so sending that off for RMA also. Funny, never had to RMA a part before in all my builds/upgrades but I'm on 2 already for this build. When it rains it pours I suppose.

+1 to EVGA though, instead of sending me back the same card they sent me their top 1070 TI, the FTW2 model instead.