MAJEST1C

New Build

22 posts in this topic

Thinking about building a new PC out of boredom :doge:. My current rig starts to experience some lag, random corrupt bios and weird permanent black screen when I update the GPU driver (had to recover windows). 

 

My old rig specs:

Case: Corsair 750D

Mobo: Gigabyte X79

CPU: Intel i7 4820k

Corsair AIO cooler for CPU

RAM: 16GB DDR3 2100 (oc)

GPU: Evga GTX 780 SC

Storage: 2 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair RM 850 

 

Originally, I was going to upgrade my PC in the next 1 - 3 years. Not sure if I should wait a little longer. 

 

Overall budget: ~3 - 4k 

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PYXjPs

 

Plan on building something similar to this: 

 

CPU

Debating between Intel i9 7900x and Threadripper 1950x. Threadripper 1950x is currently on sale for $699. Leaning toward 1950x.

Mobo

Asus zenith extreme best looking one right now. Gigabyte has this nice dual bios feature but I heard there's a problem during installation something to do with Foxconn.  

CPU Cooler

I want do an actual custom water cooling setup. Considering parts from EKWB. Not sure about pump/reservoir thing, EKWB offers two different type. 

(1) 560 mm radiator

~$600

RAM

Ram is pretty expensive, I like G. Skill Trident Z RGB. Thinking about 16GB for now, 32GB down the line.

GPU

Going to stick with GTX 780 SC for now. I'm going to upgrade to higher end graphics (liquid cooled) down the line.

PSU

Corsair RM 850 should be fine.

Storage

Samsung 500 GB

I also have Kingston 120GB (unused)

Nvme SSD have to wait.

 

Is it worth building a new PC right now or should I wait a litttle longer? Any suggestions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Do you have an actual use for threadripper though?

It will be a workstation (mostly). I probably wont be using it to it's full potential, but I like to buy top end components. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going to render 4k videos, a lot of Adobe Premier, 3d Modeling then sure 1950x kinda makes sense. And, then Id get 32GB RAM and not 16. I also wouldnt do a water loop yet, that seriously cuts into your budget for no good gain. For a well rounded top performer for gaming and video, I'd get this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xhmYyf

Water cooling would come later. Get the top parts, then get the water. I think you'd regret going straight for a custom loop right off the bat with what you could leave on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to have to agree with marine on the most part.
It doesn't feel like a high end consumer workstation build is necessary.

That and the storage doesnt really make sense for workstation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

If you're going to render 4k videos, a lot of Adobe Premier, 3d Modeling then sure 1950x kinda makes sense. And, then Id get 32GB RAM and not 16. I also wouldnt do a water loop yet, that seriously cuts into your budget for no good gain. For a well rounded top performer for gaming and video, I'd get this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xhmYyf

Water cooling would come later. Get the top parts, then get the water. I think you'd regret going straight for a custom loop right off the bat with what you could leave on the table.

I will be doing at lot of solidworks and simulations for my Aerospace club and startup. The 2k isnt necessarily a hard cap, I just dont want to spend more than 10k a month.  I'm not too concern about gaming either, I hardly play anymore. 

If I change the RAM to 32GB with water loop and 1TB of ssd below it will cost me roughly around $300 more than the ones you listed. I can probably get below that but I have to ask my brother in law. He is an expert at getting discounts. 

2 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

Going to have to agree with marine on the most part.
It doesn't feel like a high end consumer workstation build is necessary.

That and the storage doesnt really make sense for workstation.

It's more on the line of something I want.  I'm not so sure about storage, I could get: 1TB Samsung EVO SSD for $200 or 1TB Samsung NVME EVO for $350. I dont need more than 2TB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAJEST1C said:

I will be doing at lot of solidworks and simulations for my Aerospace club and startup. The 2k isnt necessarily a hard cap, I just dont want to spend more than 10k a month.  Gaming isn't a concern since I hardly play anymore. 

If I change the RAM to 32GB with water loop and 1TB of ssd below it will cost me roughly around $300 more than the ones you listed. I can probably get below that but I have to ask my brother in law. He is an expert at getting discounts. 

It's more on the line of something I want.  I'm not so sure about storage; I could get 1TB Samsung EVO SSD for $200 or 1TB Samsung NVME EVO for $350. I dont need more than 2TB.

Unless you need the read/write of an NVME you probably won't see too much of a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unless you really need that kind of cpu for your workstation i would personally cut that for a ryzen 5 or 7 (though threadripper will definitely give you more bang for your buck if you really need more than a ryzen 7) and get a 1080ti gpu and 16-32 gb of ram, personally i never capped out my 16gb of ram so i never had a need for more

 

I would recommend asking a more populated forum like linus's forum, the people there are really informative and they'll tell you whats a good idea for the most part  https://linustechtips.com/main/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lordawesome7 said:

I would recommend asking a more populated forum like linus's forum, the people there are really informative and they'll tell you whats a good idea for the most part  https://linustechtips.com/main/

You mean the guy who puts a consumer budget grade Corsair CS or CM PSU into a 150TB storage server? If you would have pointed him to Anandtech, TH, HARDOCP or Techpowerup that would have been fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Folterknecht said:

You mean the guy who puts a consumer budget grade Corsair CS or CM PSU into a 150TB storage server? If you would have pointed him to Anandtech, TH, HARDOCP or Techpowerup that would have been fine.

i didn't say linus himself, i said his forums (it should be obvious he's not the only person in it)

 

also who cares about that dumb mistake, his video's are pretty straight forward and informative, for the most part he doesn't go for years on end about shit i don't care about (or basic over or under explaining stuff, i think for the most part he explains things really well is my point)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@lordawesome7 Ryzen 5/7 won't do. I only buy the best :doge:

 

Update:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MAJEST1C/saved/2fxNNG

If I did my calculations/shopping correctly my final price including taxes should be: $1,667.84 

Threadripper and Mobo alone: $1,041 (saved ~$500+)

With EKWB water loop (~ $500 - 600)

Total: $2,167.84 or 2,267.84

I can probably drop the price even lower. I can buy bulk gift cards for 10 - 50% off.

RAM

If I upgrade to 32GB RAM (+ $202.65)

GPU

I want to upgrade my GTX 780 SC last. I kind of want to use as long as it can (paid $600 for it when it first came out). The current price for top end gpu with water block is kind of high: EVGA hydrocopper 1080 ($600+) and 1080 Ti ($800+)

 

Total amount without discounts: $2,410 (without tax) & $2,617 (with tax). 

Again with EKWB water cooling is additional $500 - 600. 

Total amount without discounts including EKWB: $3,117.86 - 3,300

Total Savings: ~$1k (w/ EKWB)

There are some things I haven't consider: case fans, lightings, thermal paste, and some tools etc.

 
Thermaltake Tower 900 Snow Edition

There's one issue I would like to address. I really like this case but this super tower have 14 fans... 

 

pic8.jpg

Product page: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002974

Corsair LL120 -140 RGB fans (best looking) don't come cheap. $35 each and 2-3 pack with Commander pro is $100 - 120. 

The 8 fans (4 on each side) is more important than top 2 and back 2.

Corsair offers 20% discount atm

 

Anyone good with liquid cooling?

Worth the build or should I wait till Summer 2018 or November/December 2018 when prices are cheaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Ryzen/Threadripper I strongly suggest buying all the RAM you might need from the start. That platform is very sensitive when it comes to RAM. I wouldn't want to be the guy that tries to get different/mixed RAM chips running on Ryzen. Even if you buy the same model and brand later, there is no garantie that there will be the same ICs under the heatspreader -> potential trouble, manufacturers sometimes switch them during production (Samsung -> Hynix ...)

 

The socket TR4 (Threadripper) has a potential problem with the sockets and mounting.If I remember it correctly it's Foxconn sockets that sometimes make problems - LOTES should be fine. If a board uses Foxconn or LOTES you can see on the retention mechanism for the CPU.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MAJEST1C said:

Gigabyte has this nice dual bios feature but I heard there's a problem during installation something to do with Foxconn.  

The problem has to do with them not tightening the socket's retention mechanism to the board with enough torque in the facotry. Luckily, the bracket can be tightened into the board using the Torx head provided with the Threadripper CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God knows I am loving and in love with AMD CPU's right now ( Here is Why and 4 of the last 5 PC's Ive built are all AMD CPUs) but I do think you should look into intel CPU's for your case. First, SolidWorks is more clock speed dependent. And, given that TR is still pretty new technology, I doubt your software would handle all 16 cores very well and 6 with the 8700k at 5GHz would be amazing. Or if you insist, get the i9 with the 10 Cores and fast clock speeds. TR, you're not going to go much beyond 4GHz without some serious lottery. Also, since you're doing Machine Learning your GPU should really go the Quadro route (see 2nd link).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

God knows I am loving and in love with AMD CPU's right now ( Here is Why and 4 of the last 5 PC's Ive built are all AMD CPUs) but I do think you should look into intel CPU's for your case. First, SolidWorks is more clock speed dependent. And, given that TR is still pretty new technology, I doubt your software would handle all 16 cores very well and 6 with the 8700k at 5GHz would be amazing. Or if you insist, get the i9 with the 10 Cores and fast clock speeds. TR, you're not going to go much beyond 4GHz without some serious lottery. Also, since you're doing Machine Learning your GPU should really go the Quadro route (see 2nd link).

save another 3k and get the titan v for machine learning xd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Volta isn't the gaming GPU architecture, and Zen + is also coming soon.

zen + wont be worth it unless they significantly improve architecture for significantly higher clocks.

icelake is leaked to be 8c/16t on existing architecture that can easily hit 5.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im hoping/expecting a 10% increase in clock speeds for Ryzen 2, which would mean an OC to 4.4GHz which, if they keep in their current price range, fucking baller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any changes to Zen+ will effect all 2000 series Ryzen CPUs, including threadripper. Meanwhile Intel appears to be moving towards separate architectures for consumer and HEDT/Server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Any changes to Zen+ will effect all 2000 series Ryzen CPUs, including threadripper.

I heard EPIC won't get updated (Zen+)... if that is the case, Threadripper might also not get it. Zen2 is a different story and still far away at this point.

 

-----

 

And don't put to much hope into Volta-gaming release anytime soon. Nvidia can milk Maxwell for a long time with AMD flopping Vega.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.