Okeano

Okeano & Rexxie's guide on where NOT go to on maps (Updated 12/2/15)

456 posts in this topic

+1 for you sir.  I agree 100%  

What do you do when a lemming train heads to a green spot, and you are in a slow tank?  If you were fast, you could at least help push them along then return to reset, but I am guessing it's better to cover a yellow area when in a slow tank.

Thank you very much for this thread, by the way.  I think I've often gone to red areas unknowingly.  My extreme lack of map understanding for the newer maps is really hurting me, and I need to spend more time learning about maps again.

Redshire is spot on, some others are arguable.

Thanks for the tips! +1

So what's the purple area on Prokhorovka?  Is that the location of a secret unicum clubhouse?  8)

What do you do when a lemming train heads to a green spot, and you are in a slow tank?  If you were fast, you could at least help push them along then return to reset, but I am guessing it's better to cover a yellow area when in a slow tank.

Thank you very much for this thread, by the way.  I think I've often gone to red areas unknowingly.  My extreme lack of map understanding for the newer maps is really hurting me, and I need to spend more time learning about maps again.

I would say defensive position around the yellow spots. It really varies depending on the situation. 

Thanks for the tips! +1

So what's the purple area on Prokhorovka?  Is that the location of a secret unicum clubhouse?  8)

I added in the description. It's a tricky spot that I've seen used to some success but never tried it myself. 

Redshire is spot on, some others are arguable.

Any input is welcome. 

Any input is welcome. 

Well for Karelia I think you need an even distribution, that's hard as fuck to stop a cap fast if one flank is quickly overwhelmed.

I'd mark the whole south-east corner of Westfield as red.

Well for Karelia I think you need an even distribution, that's hard as fuck to stop a cap fast if one flank is quickly overwhelmed.

Does it have to be even though? I did avoid marking NW as other color, since some tanks are still needed there. I would say 2:1 ratio of SE vs NW. Once the hill is taken, you can defend NW pretty easily from there. If they yolorush with half of the team as mediums then well... yeah that could be a problem. But that rarely happens. Your meds can also drop off the hill and go back to base if needed. From my experience, team that wins the donut, outside of completely mismatched of tanker skills, will win most of the time. Maybe it's not guaranteed, but it's one hell of an advantage.  

Can you also do one for the new Russian winter map?

Can you also do one for the new Russian winter map?

It's too new for me to have enough experience on it to say for sure. From my experience, pushing the west side hills from NW spawn is death sentence, since you have to cross long area of uncovered path and get snipped to death. East hill seems to be the key with better cover. I don't want to dismiss the entire low area yet, since the ditch that runs right through the middle seems to be somewhat covered and may have potential. 

Thanks for the tips! +1

It is a great spot for E-100/IS-7.

As long as you can:

Face the hill, shoot the hill

Not get shot in the butt from the E5is area

And the building in front of you is not blown up. (It is destructible.... it can eat about 2-3 shots)

As for the "Magic Forest":

I like to go there if my batchat IF huge numbers of my team go there. SOMEONE need to get those losers moving and in the fight.... so I need to go there and spot for them. Conduct that lemming train.

But yeah... don't take your T-57/TD over there.... the battle is won in the hills usually.

As for the "Magic Forest":

I like to go there if my batchat IF huge numbers of my team go there. SOMEONE need to get those losers moving and in the fight.... so I need to go there and spot for them. Conduct that lemming train.

But yeah... don't take your T-57/TD over there.... the battle is won in the hills usually.

Yeah, if you can spot their tanks there, you can probably get something moving.

It'd be nice to see a few of these for Encounter maps also.

Also, one oddity, you mark Cliffs as Red, and I pretty much agree, I avoid that area if humanly possible.  On the other hand, I'd almost think it's yellow with warnings, because I don't know how many times I've actually had to go there when it was left open (thinking the entire time "are you *bleeping* kidding me?)

On Erlenberg, would you consider the castle (and hill near the house on the other side at D9 is kind of similiar) yellow or red (or just neutral)?  I've found the area to be a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes, it becomes a good spot with a very wide area of fire.  Other times, you need to leave quickly just because you're outside the flow of battle.

Some interesting points, I like it.

Also, one oddity, you mark Cliffs as Red, and I pretty much agree, I avoid that area if humanly possible.  On the other hand, I'd almost think it's yellow with warnings, because I don't know how many times I've actually had to go there when it was left open (thinking the entire time "are you *bleeping* kidding me?)

Who cares? Flex from the plateau and shoot them in the side if they derp rush 1-2 line.

Okeano, on Murovanka, if you put a shot at the hill on the side pointing away for the town, can't you make the fores an aggressive opportunity for getting a early advantage? Spot all their camper/snipers, and crush that side of the map?

The amount of teribads that argue with me about Lakeville valley and its relevance is too damned high.

Does it have to be even though? I did avoid marking NW as other color, since some tanks are still needed there. I would say 2:1 ratio of SE vs NW. Once the hill is taken, you can defend NW pretty easily from there. If they yolorush with half of the team as mediums then well... yeah that could be a problem. But that rarely happens. Your meds can also drop off the hill and go back to base if needed. From my experience, team that wins the donut, outside of completely mismatched of tanker skills, will win most of the time. Maybe it's not guaranteed, but it's one hell of an advantage.  

I always say "min 4 go NW, min 8 go SE please" to start that map.  I'd be afraid to say "min 2 go NW", because that would blow the minds of many pubbies, and I would get ignored.  

The amount of teribads that argue with me about Lakeville valley and its relevance is too damned high.

They key is to allude to its uselessness without actually saying so outright.

"3-4 guard valley, 1-2 go center, rest push town plz"

"don't push valley ridge until after they suicide a few there first"

This implies that there isn't play there to start, that it is dangerous, but if you do go there, you can punish the other team and push eventually.  Additionally, this doesn't directly contradict their poor view of strategy, it just nudges it.  

On Erlenberg, would you consider the castle (and hill near the house on the other side at D9 is kind of similiar) yellow or red (or just neutral)?  I've found the area to be a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes, it becomes a good spot with a very wide area of fire.  Other times, you need to leave quickly just because you're outside the flow of battle.

I turned off encounters due to too much headaches from pubs not knowing how to play it. Some one who plays it would have to put that together.

I almost want to say that it can be left open. Tanks that get through there can always be shot down from above.

Erlenberg is stupid. The castle and the hill are good spots to retreat to when the other team have pushed through. I generally try to make something happen at the far from spawn bridge. 

Okeano, on Murovanka, if you put a shot at the hill on the side pointing away for the town, can't you make the fores an aggressive opportunity for getting a early advantage? Spot all their camper/snipers, and crush that side of the map?

Do you mean starting from SW spawn and go spot at G8/G9?

Great guide! +1

Also, on the Pearl River map, where do you go as a slow heavy (E100, T34) when you know the east spawn is camping bridge? Go all the way around the south?

Terribad.

Definition:

1. The act of being terrible and bad at the same time

2. One who argues that Lakeville Valley is the optimal route to push that map

Great guide! +1

Also, on the Pearl River map, where do you go as a slow heavy (E100, T34) when you know the east spawn is camping bridge? Go all the way around the south?

That map is a bit tricky too and that's why I didn't put it on my OP. If you know that they're camping bridge, and it seems that the game is shifting to where they most likely are, you can go the inner loop. It came to my realization this weekend, even tho I should have probably seen this a lot sooner, that securing the inner loop opens up the outer loop to flank at the lower road. 

Thanks for putting this together. It makes a ton of sense - my good games are when I play well defending yellow areas (or have one of those magic YOLO moments), my great games have been when I've gotten to the green areas, and my derps corelate strongly to the red spots.

Also, my fav maps are the ones where you've circled green and it's the area already go to by default.

Any chance you could do up something for Sand River, El Halluf, and Fjords?