Sign in to follow this  
Jaegaer

PA DDs so far = shit

13 posts in this topic

Yeh, well, I never thought that being unable to threaten enemy DDs with your torps would be so crippling. Low range torps on top means you can only do things if the enemies DDs screw it up. A single Kagero can ruin your game, endlessy screening you with no fear at all even if detected by RL. My winrate in these things is abysmal and I hope the YueYang is worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They require a different play style. The T7 is godly. What I do is I get into position and stay invisible then I make a long smoke trail. (This is usually in the path of BB's) then start shooting. I stay bow on and look for torps. When ther are about 15 seconds left I bail out the back. Rinse repeat. All you need is guns to beat the Kagero if he reveals himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T4 is OP, equal to or more so then Clemson, T6 is pretty gud, T7 is OP and basically a tier 8... thats how far i am right now, they are quite enjoyable to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sims with its 3.3 second reload has same DPS as the T7 at 5 seconds. So the T7 is not as op as everyone says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jarkorsis said:

The sims with its 3.3 second reload has same DPS as the T7 at 5 seconds. So the T7 is not as op as everyone says.

The Gadjah Mada gets a little bit more health and more importantly 600 meters better baseconcealment, better torps even if they can't hit DDs, is a much better firestarter with 3% extra basefire chance and  it has much more versatile smokes to round it off.

The only thing the Sims is better at is fending off carriers because it gets defensive AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

 So the T7 is not as op as everyone says.

I mean, its slightly OP for a DD, so you actually need to be competent to extract the maximum out of it.

Also Sims torps are fucking dog shit, like really dog shit, so slow they are basically static mines, do no damage (8500dmg, much wow) and the flooding change seems to be quite bad too... i remember last T7 ranked landing 4 torps on a Belfast and not killing him... In randoms, hitting 1 or 2 torps on a BB is like a meh AP volley from a same tier BB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gadjah Mada is a very mixed bag. When top tier or with only few tier VIIIs and few radar it is absolutely glorious. The concealment combined with the smoke menas you can dpm away with impunity, sitting bow on and thus mostly immune to other DDs torping your smokes.

And because your range is overall pretty low you need to go in agressively.

But this is very hard once ample radar and superior DDs start to pop up. A Fletcher will tear you a new one and outplay you so hard it hurts while your only valid threat - torping him - is not available. Even worse if you meet an Akizuki.

8km torp range means your torps are useless bc you need to penetrate like 2km into radar range to even get them off. And then there is just so much hydro in higher tiers and hydro totally counters the low detection that is supposed the only advantage of DWTs over normal torps.

Hsien Yang is decidedly meh. DWTs simply don't work with lowish range and very slow speed. You need to get past their DD escort to use them and penetrate well into radar territory. Also hydro starts to become common and DWTs with 55 knots are utterly useless in a hydro rich environment losing their only advantage of low detectability. The Benson at least can threaten other DDs in their smoke with them and maybe get a much needed kill, the HY can't.

Chung Mu - to put it with Flamus words "I prefer Fletcher". Again, 10.5km range torps are not good unless you want to hit DDs. The Fletcher is so glorious bc it is one of the best and most complete DD hunter killers. Every enemy DD, even tier Xs need to be very aware of that and tend to play passively against a well captained Fletcher and this, and this alone, actively opens up torping fat juicy targets like BBs. But the Chung Mu can't do this the same way and if you want to torp BBs/CAs with a opponent DD screening them, you need more than 10.5km range or hope the enemy DD screws up.

Yueyang - finally, 13.5km torps have enough range and the Yueyang can again sit bow on in smokes and dpm away to good effect. The thing that makes it really good though is the detection advantage - it may not be much, but every Kagero and Yugumo and Shima has much more to fear from it than from a Gearing. This is the only PA DD that I feel the DWTs finally work and be an asset instead of a hinderance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fabunil said:

The Gadjah Mada gets a little bit more health and more importantly 600 meters better baseconcealment, better torps even if they can't hit DDs, is a much better firestarter with 3% extra basefire chance and  it has much more versatile smokes to round it off.

The only thing the Sims is better at is fending off carriers because it gets defensive AA.

The Sims is almost the most maneuverable DD in the game. You can also use the short range torps which give meh damage, but are good fighting a DD. People throw OP around if they really like a boat and they play better at it, than most other ships. It does not mean it is op. The Deep water torps on the Gadjah are slowish and I generally have a hard time hitting anything unless they get close. There is a lot of hydro around even when you are top tier. What makes all the PA DD's is their continuous smoke. Having 6 smoke charges and only 10 seconds downtime between smokes makes the line. From T8 up it is harder to use the smoke, but it is still effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

The Sims is almost the most maneuverable DD in the game. You can also use the short range torps which give meh damage, but are good fighting a DD. People throw OP around if they really like a boat and they play better at it, than most other ships. It does not mean it is op. The Deep water torps on the Gadjah are slowish and I generally have a hard time hitting anything unless they get close. There is a lot of hydro around even when you are top tier. What makes all the PA DD's is their continuous smoke. Having 6 smoke charges and only 10 seconds downtime between smokes makes the line. From T8 up it is harder to use the smoke, but it is still effective.

People throw the word op around when a ship starts performing singificantly better than all the other ships in the same tier which is definetly true for the Gadjah getting an average 56% winrate and doing on average twice as much damage and getting twice as many kills as the Sims, which is by far the worst peforming DD at its tier..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fabunil said:

People throw the word op around when a ship starts performing singificantly better than all the other ships in the same tier which is definetly true for the Gadjah getting an average 56% winrate and doing on average twice as much damage and getting twice as many kills as the Sims, which is by far the worst peforming DD at its tier..

I am doing well in it. I average 1750 xp a game. I also have an 80 percent win rate. The reason for this is partially luck and the fact that I have finished all the other DD lines. So any DD line I start now (Unless it is horrible) I will have a leg up. This is probably a factor in its performance since only early adopters have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New ship lines always overperform because of early adopters being more experienced and better players. It takes many months before winrate drifts to proper values.

Still Gadjah is surely good ship but hard to say if its really overpowered when there is ship named Leningrad in same tier... I mean tier 7 Leningrad could be played in tier8 ranked and it would very good even there...

 

On 1/9/2018 at 0:58 PM, Jaegaer said:

Hsien Yang is decidedly meh. DWTs simply don't work with lowish range and very slow speed. You need to get past their DD escort to use them and penetrate well into radar territory. Also hydro starts to become common and DWTs with 55 knots are utterly useless in a hydro rich environment losing their only advantage of low detectability. The Benson at least can threaten other DDs in their smoke with them and maybe get a much needed kill, the HY can't.

Have used this bit on ranked for fun, experienced exactly these same problems. DW torps in this are too slow when ship does not have that much else to go with it. Need torp speed boost to 65kn imho. Radar is intresting and pretty well balanced, short time and short ranged but still situationally very good. Problem is smoke is too valuable to lose especially as guns are overall stronger than torps on ship.

Maybe give ship class combined smoke/radar consumable, shared cooldown and only one can be used at a time, not both. This idea has been surely mentioned already elsewhere (reddit etc), whats problems with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sahtila said:

whats problems with this?

The problem is that WG is only willing to introduce new mechanics every other patch (at most) in order to not overly confuse the unwashed masses that go "omfg, WG, wy smok cooldown, did not press smok???!!"

Next mechanical change may be the already discussed radar changes so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else in the first half of 2018 at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.