SolarflareGrenraven

RX 480 GPU - Still causing crashes in WOT or sorted now?

23 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my GPU and have been offered an RX480 but when i googled it seems there were a lot of crash issues with WOT?

does anyone know if these issues were ever resolved or if its an ongoing problem for this card?

On paper the performance looks great compared to my current GTX 670 but as WOT is the only game i play regularly it needs to work?

Can anyone offer personal experience of this card?

Thanks,

Paul

I have an RX 580 which is the same silicon but clocked higher, and it works fine. I've never had an issues as currently the game is entirely CPU bound and maxes out at like 115-120 FPS.

Off topic:

Take a look at the GTX970 market (used), they are usually much cheaper than 480/580, while offering similar performance when it comes to WoT. The possible difference in VRAM doesn't matter in this game at FullHD.

12 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Off topic:

Take a look at the GTX970 market (used), they are usually much cheaper than 480/580, while offering similar performance when it comes to WoT. The possible difference in VRAM doesn't matter in this game at FullHD.

Thanks for this, i had been considering the GTX 970 but had been considering the RX480 for the mining potential as i thought about trying that if i got it lol

I also was aiming toward the WOT 1.0 high definition maps and if the extra memory might benefit running it at higher resolutions?

12 hours ago, Tman450 said:

I have an RX 580 which is the same silicon but clocked higher, and it works fine. I've never had an issues as currently the game is entirely CPU bound and maxes out at like 115-120 FPS.

Hi Tman,

Thanks for your feedback,  have you run the simulation to see how it copes with WOT 1.0?

Thanks,

Paul

1 hour ago, SolarflareGrenraven said:

Thanks for this, i had been considering the GTX 970 but had been considering the RX480 for the mining potential as i thought about trying that if i got it lol

I also was aiming toward the WOT 1.0 high definition maps and if the extra memory might benefit running it at higher resolutions?

If you only play WoT on a regular basis the GTX970 won't be a disadvantage. That game doesn't use much VRAM ~2GB at 1920x1080. With WoTenCore I get 17500 points with my 970 @FullHD (max settings). Ingame it's ~100FPS.

How HD maps will influence performance, I'm not really sure.

6 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

If you only play WoT on a regular basis the GTX970 won't be a disadvantage. That game doesn't use much VRAM ~2GB at 1920x1080. With WoTenCore I get 17500 points with my 970 @FullHD (max settings). Ingame it's ~100FPS.

How HD maps will influence performance, I'm not really sure.

When I tested WoT EnCore at 1920x1080 with the Ultra preset, the total graphics card memory usage was 3,262 MB.  When I tested the Medium preset at 1920x1080 the total graphics card memory usage was 2,282 MB.  Both MSI Afterburner and EVGA PrecisionX gave similar numbers for graphics card memory in use.  The ultra preset is close to the 3.5 GB of fast memory on the GTX 970.  What I found interesting is at 2440x1440 with the Ultra preset total graphics card memory usage was 3343 MB.  It didn't go up much with Ultra at a higher resolution.

Unfortunately both Nvidia and AMD graphics card are up again due to increased mining demand.  A used GTX 970 sells in the $250-$300 USD range now and a few months ago they were $150-$225 USD.  I'm sure the prices are similar in Europe now also due to the increased global demand.

At 1080p, WoT will run in excess of 60 fps with something as old as a Radeon 7870. Pretty much any semi-modern card should hit high framerates. I think that even the RX 550 is capable of running WoT at max settings at 60fps.

True, a even a GTX 1050 will still average 80+ FPS at Maximum and average 70 FPS in Sandbox.  Older GPUs should still do well at lower settings.

http://cbgamesandhardware.blogspot.com/2017/10/fps-comparison-of-920-vs-sandbox-on.html

I got a RX 480 early last year and found that it would come up with a "Display driver stopped working" around every 5 minutes when trying to play Mass Effect Andromeda.  Tanks was slightly better, but the error would still occur.

I sold the card and got a 1060 and have had no problems with it.

11 minutes ago, Hellvn said:

I got a RX 480 early last year and found that it would come up with a "Display driver stopped working" around every 5 minutes when trying to play Mass Effect Andromeda.  Tanks was slightly better, but the error would still occur.

Faulty card, PSU ...

I'd be surprised if it was the PSU as what I have sure be more than enough for my system, even including the increased load from a 480 (EVGA 650W bronze) and I hadn't experienced any issues previously.

Since I haven't experienced any issues with the new card I don't think it was the PSU.  One thing I did notice was that the Radeon ran noticeably hotter than the Nvidia.

GPU Boost 3.0 starts dropping clocks past 60C, so AIB partners make a point to keep most cards at or below that threshold under load. Polaris has no such feature so there's no need to keep the card so cool, AIB partners only need to keep it below the throttle point. Vega does have a feature similar to GPU boost 3.0, but good luck ever buying one that isn't $300+ overpriced.

A little update, i ran the encore test on my system last night and my spec is as follows :

I5 3570 @ 4ghz

16gb Ram

GTX 670 2gb

SSD System disk

My results were as follows :

On Medium settings at 1920 x 1080 i scored over 27k points 

on Ulltra settings i scored over 9000

My  understanding is that these scored are both very healthy so it seems even an out of date rig like mine can run the new improved Wot 1.0 with no major problems

I hope that helps anyone who is wondering how their rig will hold up!

I had issues with my RX 480 using a mining specific bios mod for company of heroes 2. got 2 BSODs before I decided to stop playing video gayms forever.

fucking nerds

if you bought a used card, you might have some shit like this causing issues maybe. I had in fact a RX 580 sapphire nitro+ 8gb that had a custom bios that made it perform even worse than a stock one.

10 hours ago, Raj said:

I had in fact a RX 580 sapphire nitro+ 8gb that had a custom bios that made it perform even worse than a stock one.

Depends on what the vbios tweaked, it's actually piss easy to edit vbios and redistribute them using the many tools floating around right now (and probably more than a few bricked cards from idiots playing monkey-see-monkey-do).

Custom vbioses (how the fuck do I even pluralize it?) tend to tweak the following functions:

1. fan profiles
  2. power limits
  3. clock limits
  4. defaults (power, clocks, fan)
  5. auto OC profiles

Without knowing what the "custom" vbios was intended to do or what it changed is pointless. For all you know it might be one that makes the fan spin slower, or lower boost profiles so it doesn't dump out as much heat in the summer, etc...

On 1/18/2018 at 10:44 AM, Haswell said:

was intended to do or what it changed is pointless. For all you know it might be one that makes the fan spin slower, or lower boost profiles so it doesn't dump out as much heat in the summer, etc...

It was from someone running a mining operation, and during winter too. He was selling 30 cards. Maybe it was somehow better for a core intensive algo. Didn't test anything like that.

IIRC back in 2013-ish, bitcoin mining was optimized by lowering memory clocks down to stupid slow speeds so you can increase core clock further, or something like that. But yes, what is optimized for cryptomining isn't always optimized for gaming.

On 19/01/2018 at 9:32 PM, Haswell said:

IIRC back in 2013-ish, bitcoin mining was optimized by lowering memory clocks down to stupid slow speeds so you can increase core clock further, or something like that. But yes, what is optimized for cryptomining isn't always optimized for gaming.

Currently most folks are mining ETH, which barely stresses the GPU but scales hard with VRAM clocks. For some reason that's above my pay grade it doesn't get on so well with GDDR5X as it does with GDDR5. Edit: a bit of googling reveals it's a latency thing.

On 20/01/2018 at 0:29 PM, Folterknecht said:

The problem with mining cards is the constant high load and temps on the power delivery. That eats into the expected life time of these components like nothing else.

A smart miner will be undervolting it for better hashes/watt, plus constant load is better than typical gaming load for thermal cycling, most mining rigs are open air so benefit from unrestricted convection and no hotspots. I'd say it's swings and roundabouts buying a used mining card vs a used gaming card.

It's like buying a used car vs brand new. The brand new car will (almost) guarantee to work, but YMMV when the used car has 9000 miles on it.

So, I accidentally left a miner running in background mode while playing WOT (oops). Turns out a GTX 1080 can drive WOT maxed out at 1200p60 while mining ETH at around 14MH/s.

Roll on CORE engine.