Sapros

Shift for Sniper Mode: why is it bad?

Question

I've always heard how that's bad, and many top streamers seem to confirm it by using scroll exclusively. 

But... why?

I use max fov and still rarely need more that the first zoom level. When in arcade mode I am usually zoomed out all the way. 

It just feels more precise/efficient to switch between these 2 modes by pressing a key my pinky naturally rests on anyway (shift) than to constantly take my index off the "trigger" and dabble with the scroll.

15 answers to this question

it gives you scaling options to your zoom so you can zoom out and in fast, efficiently, and precisely as one needs vs. a sluggish shift press in comparison i could fully zoom in and out by the time you press shift once

its fine for beginners or for those who don't have a scroll wheel or bad one, but for the most part scroll wheel basically gives you more options that can be excuted faster; its why i can't go back to WoT on console, the preset zoom options are terrible and switching between them is too slow for be to effectively hit tanks and fall back rapidly

everyone is different and you're not forced to use scroll wheel but it does give much more options much faster than pressing shift key, even spamming it wouldn't be as fast or precise as a good scroll wheel movement in comparison for the majority of us and i don't think you can zoom out with shift last time i check (i played a handful of games with trackpad, pressing shift was not the way to zoom out in 3rd person and using shift isn't fun in my experience in general)

Haven't played in a long time, but IIRC the toggle zoom puts me at a zoom level too high for my comfort to the point where it becomes disorienting. The steps of target acquisition for me were as follows:

1. Start in 3rd person view, spot red
  2. Zoom into red, adjust aim to keep red (or weakspot) centered on my screen/reticule
  3. Repeat #2 until I reach desired magnification
  4. Boom

Without the gradual increase in magnification and aim adjustment, I would have to spend time adjusting my aim while at max zoom (which cripples situational awareness) or even lose the target completely if it wasn't properly centered into my (soon-to-be) restricted FOV before I zoomed in. That's why I used the mouse wheel.

Index finger off the trigger isn't a big problem because you wouldn't want to misclick and miss your shot anyways. You can also use your middle finger for the mouse wheel.

I use shift to sniper as well and I see no downside for doing so. Though I can see being an issue if you have 32x zoom and you switch straight into that at closer ranges.

I use shift to snipe also, but with the legacy of old rts' / mmorpgs I also used key commands for many other actions.. Its more efficient that way.. of course I tried the zooming method but it was really frustrating after I lost -- sometimes more than 0.5/0.9 seconds with just scrolling.

I wonder too. For me, using scroll is always bit clunky, compared to one hit on the keyboard. 

Also, i would love to have the setting in game, which allows you to have default zoom-out level. Now this is possible only through mods, which I hate reinstalling after each mini-update.

Most top streamers tell you that it's best to play with no mods at all, which would be totally possible if WG would give us couple more setting options.

I agree with Carbon, Only problem I have is if mod breaks I am useless as I auto to x8 and cant aim for jack

16 hours ago, CarbonWard said:

I use shift to snipe, but i also use aslain's auto 2x default scope.

I also use shift to snipe  and the x2 default mod. I can't for life of me understand why WG haven't made it an option in the client.

I actually find the game unplayable without the x2 default mod because I don't think the shift to snipe option works very well without it.

An example. Say I'm in a certain position on the map and I'm shooting at an enemy 300m away. I'll be zoomed in to maybe x6 trying to hit a weak spot or track him.

Then something might happen on the other side of the map so I need to head over there, so you hit shift and off you go. Upon arriving the engagement is 100m or less you hit shift and you're still at x6!

This always screws with my concentration as I struggle to fix the zoom, and almost every time I take a smack from an enemy that I didn't need to take because my concentration was broken by the zoom being wrong for me.

I know nothing about coding but shirley putting an x2 default zoom in the client can't be that hard?

I only use 3 mods now. The x2 zoom, Jimbos contour mod and the tank view zoom out. 

Getting rid of xvm was the single best decision I made in the game

I use the scroll key in WOT, probably because I've always used scroll to zoom in and out in FPS games.

However, I use Shift in WOWS (usually set to max zoom).

I exclusively use shift and adjust with scroll wheel accordingly.
Shift to zoom uses last zoom multiplier so in most cases its faster.

As to why some people zoom in with scroll wheel? It's personal preference.

I honestly it depends on how you learn. I don't see a huge issue with using shift except if you have your default zoom level super high, 8x is around my sweet spot.

I guess you might switch with the scroll wheel only so you can maintain situational awareness and only use as much zoom as you need at the moment. I also only use shift but there is an annoying habit of the UI to switch the focus point to somewhere completely unrelated to where you are aiming (due to Dynamic Camera, maybe?) especially when you're near obstacles. So then once you hit shift, while that part of it is faster, then you have to mess around finding your target again. It's not a problem because I'll often do this behind cover and then peek while zoomed in, but that is a very annoying "feature" of the UI which I think should be resolved.

I have it set to x8 and shift into it without any issues. My reason for shift is that moving your fingers while aiming screws your smoothness over (try to snapshot while changing zoom levels, it’s more disorienting if anything), and shift defaults back to your last setting. The topmost comment isn’t true (at least for me). 

Aim in 3rd person > adjust in x8 > fire > shift back to FULL FoV meaning I have as little time in sniper as needed for minimal tunnelvision. I press shift as I fire so we’re talking less than 0,2 seconds in sniper for snapshots. I have my sniper and arcade sensitivity the same so the transition is seamless and not disorienting at all. 

For 10 meter shots I just use 3rd person since at that range I can hit anything, and if I need to hit very precise I just increase the zoom to the level just before sniper mode hits anyway. I have it set that way often in brawls anyway because I get a better look of my micromanaging and if I’m actually hulldown and so on. 

Basically if I play macro I go with high FoV and for micro play I go with more zoom. I can’t justify the scroll wheel for zoom as I want max FoV out of sniper asap

Your all peasants :P

Since in wot you can bind 2 keys to sniper mode, so i have both shift and scroll, shift for quick in/out zooming, and scroll, for when i want to scroll

I normally use mousewheel, but just yesterday when I was pre-grinding on the IS, I noticed that my gun is pointing into the ground when zoomed when I was quite clearly aimed in in 3rd person. Replicating the issue (pic attached), I find that if there an obstacle between your tank and where your 3rd person camera should be, the game will move the camera upwards. If this happens on the 2nd level of 3rd person and onwards, it will skew your aim as you sequentially zoom back in. However, if you shift-zoom, the zoom will point at where you are aiming at in 3rd person, regardless of obstacles behind you.

This is probably an exception to keep in mind when mousewheeling in city maps.

7aef5a031a.jpg