Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RollerCoaster47

Looking To Upgrade From Old Laptop

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I currently have a Lenovo Y510P IdeaPad that I've had for well over four years now. The laptop still works fine but the exterior is getting really beat up and it's difficult to even plug the charging cable in anymore since the power port has kind of been jammed inside the laptop a bit and at an angle. This thing has an i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a Geforce GT 755M graphics card. It originally came with a 1TB HDD but it failed twice (probably from me being clumsy with it carrying it all around and slamming it down in my backpack when I was in college) so I replaced it with a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD about three years ago and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

I am looking to replace this laptop with a new one for general usage and light gaming. The only games I really play at the moment are World of Tanks and World of Warships so I don't need a ton of GPU power. I do have a 1080p 144Hz monitor for my desktop (which I'm going to part out and sell soon since I really don't game as much as I thought I would when I built it) and getting over 60 fps in WoT is easily achievable so I don't know if any laptops support more than 60Hz when hooked up to a monitor but it's something I wouldn't mind having. I was looking at laptops with a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti, which I think would be enough, don't need a HDD, just 250GB or more SSD, at least 8GB of RAM, and an i5 or i7 with at least 4 cores 8 threads. Budget is anywhere from $600-1000, whatever laptop fits the bill for the price is what I'll buy. Don't need a super high end laptop for just playing those two games, any ideas are appreciated. I'm OCD so my monitor is an Acer so I wouldn't mind having an Acer laptop, but I hear good things about MSI and Asus laptops too.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Sorry for the triple post, kept getting some kind of error when I tried to upload the thread about being disconnected from the server or something, delete this thread and just keep the original one please.

Was thinking about buying this to replace my current dilapidated laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315493

Couple of questions though

Could I swap in a 500GB 850 Evo 2.5" SSD into this and take out the HDD?

Since it only has an HDMI 2.0 port, does that mean it's impossible to get more than 60 FPS if I hook it up to my 144 Hz monitor?

@RollerCoaster47

You can, but how much will that 500GB SSD cost you (if you don't have one). I believe HDMI 2.0 allows 144hz @ 1440p. Your monitor will need to have HDMI 2.0 compatibility to utilize if possible. Will have to check to confirm though.

>8GB of RAM

>[CURRENT YEAR]

Go for 12 gigs at least, 16 gigs if you can. Even buy a laptop that comes with 8 gigs and upgrade it. It'll lengthen the life of your laptop considerably in regards to gaming.

In regards to that Acer you posted, yup - you can put the EVO in. The 1 TB HDD will most likely be 2.5" with 9.5mm height, while the SSD is 2.5" / 7mm IIRC - you'll be able to use it, but depending on how the disc housing is done, you might need one of the rubber holding thingies to secure it in the laptop - dunno what they are called in english, they cost about 2.50€ where I live and basicaly wrap around the disc on sides to make it thicker and allow for it to be securely mounted in.

11 minutes ago, EndlessAgony said:

>8GB of RAM

>[CURRENT YEAR]

Go for 12 gigs at least, 16 gigs if you can. Even buy a laptop that comes with 8 gigs and upgrade it. It'll lengthen the life of your laptop considerably in regards to gaming.

tbf, he did say it's only going to be for tanks/wows, so 8GB RAM is all he needs.

@op. I'd save my money and just re-use the 250gb SSD from your old laptop as long as there's nothing wrong with it. afaik the OS that comes with a laptop is tied to the motherboard, so I can't see how changing the HAD out for an SAD would be an issue.  I know 250gb isn't very big bu5 you could just use an external HDD for extra storage if required. Externals are much cheaper to buy, well over here they are anyway. 

I picked up a second hand , unused 2tb external for 40 euros a few weeks ago.

I have an MSI GE72 2QE, and it's worked quite well for the last few years. i7-4720hg, 12gb ram, 1tb hdd, and a gtx 960m. however, I don't know about upgrading it, or what the newer ones are like, as this one is older already.

10 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

@RollerCoaster47

You can, but how much will that 500GB SSD cost you (if you don't have one). I believe HDMI 2.0 allows 144hz @ 1440p. Your monitor will need to have HDMI 2.0 compatibility to utilize if possible. Will have to check to confirm though.

I have it already, bought it on Black Friday for $118 intending to use it in a new PC build but haven't yet. I'll check when I get home what my monitor supports. It's an Acer 1080p 144 HZ monitor, can't remember the model name though, it's XF270H or something like that.

I'm pretty sure HDMI 2.0 only supports up to 120hz, you'd need Display Port to get 144. Also frame rate and refresh rate are independent.

4 hours ago, Flaksmith said:

I'm pretty sure HDMI 2.0 only supports up to 120hz, you'd need Display Port to get 144. Also frame rate and refresh rate are independent.

hdmi 2.0 supports 144hz. you're thinking about mini display ports.

8 hours ago, Flaksmith said:

Doesn't matter as it turns out. Reading through my monitor's manual it only supports a max of 60Hz with HDMI, 120Hz with DVI, and 144Hz with DP. Looks like I'll have to find a laptop with a DP if I want that full 144Hz glory.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:15 PM, RollerCoaster47 said:

Doesn't matter as it turns out. Reading through my monitor's manual it only supports a max of 60Hz with HDMI, 120Hz with DVI, and 144Hz with DP. Looks like I'll have to find a laptop with a DP if I want that full 144Hz glory.

Finding a sub $1,000 laptop with a display port can be difficult.

ANy preference on 15" or 17" laptop screen?

20 minutes ago, Bavor said:

Finding a sub $1,000 laptop with a display port can be difficult.

ANy preference on 15" or 17" laptop screen?

Not really, either is fine.

If you are going to have to use the screen built into the laptop, maybe a bigger screen would be a good idea.  This is a nice 17" Asus that is currently on sale:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234796

It has an open memory slot that is easy to access and the hard drive isn't hard to replace with the SSD you have.  I know a couple people that bought it for $200 less when Amazon had it on sale in November.

I'd basically get the lowest priced reputable name brand laptop you can with a GTX 1050 ti and a newer i5 or i7.  The difference between the 1050 and 1050 ti seems significant and may help with the graphics updates in WoT 1.0.

My friends who do laptop and PC repair tell me Asus laptops are a lot easier to get parts for than MSI laptops. 

I had a MSI gaming laptop that didn't survive a hard fall while it was turned on and running due to a small child knocking it off the table accidentally.  They were running at full speed and ran into the power cord.  It wasn't a quick/easy disconnect connector, so the laptop got yanked off the table.  The laptop it hit the wall and a chair on the way down to the floor.  There was minimal external damage  however it never worked right after that and frequently locked up.  I had an extended warranty through Square Trade.  When I sent the laptop in, they couldn't get the parts to fix it, so they sent me a check for the full purchase price and sent me the hard drive back so I could get my data off of it.  An extended warranty that includes damage is something to consider.

Also, if you have an Amazon prime credit card, you get 5% back in Amazon credit when you use it to purchase things on Amazon.  It basically makes the laptop 5% lower in price if you are planning to buy anything on Amazon later.

@RollerCoaster47 This one has a displayport for your monitor!

$899 after promo code and $50 rebate:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154623

Promo code: EMCPRPV22

GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5
Quad Core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
16 GB Memory
512 GB M.2 SATA SSD
15.6" 1920 x 1080
15.07" x 10.23" x 1.06" 5.29 lbs.
1 x Mini DisplayPort <- Use mini display port to displayport cable for 144 Hz goodness!
1 x HDMI
2 x USB 3.0
1 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0 Type-C

1 hour ago, Bavor said:

@RollerCoaster47 This one has a displayport for your monitor!

$899 after promo code and $50 rebate:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154623

Promo code: EMCPRPV22

GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5
Quad Core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
16 GB Memory
512 GB M.2 SATA SSD
15.6" 1920 x 1080
15.07" x 10.23" x 1.06" 5.29 lbs.
1 x Mini DisplayPort <- Use mini display port to displayport cable for 144 Hz goodness!
1 x HDMI
2 x USB 3.0
1 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0 Type-C

Decent specs, only problem I keep seeing is that all the laptops I'm interested in are rocking Nvidia GPUs while my monitor (and the majority of affordable ones) are all Freesync and not G-sync monitors. Also, what's the promo code?

The promo code is in the post right after the link.  

I rarely see laptops with newer AMD GPUs.  Newegg has 4 of them listed and only one in stock.

There are no decent (mobile) GPUs on the AMD side of things, because of their terrible power/performance ratio. That just doesn't fly in mobil space.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0