Sapros

AMX M4 mle. 54

24 posts in this topic

Wanted to bitch about it and couldn't find an appropriate thread. 

I haven't unlocked the big gun yet, but I'm really not looking forward to facing superheavies with 280mm of pen.

With the 120mm I feel like I'm playing the mle. 51, but instead of crapping on T7s I get thrown in full T10s shitshows.

I think I'd actually enjoy if it had either a better mantlet or better shoulder armor. Currently I just struggle to find something it's consistently good at. 

Is the big gun really an upgrade?

I only played with the 130, its quite adequate considering its other stats, 280 AP is more like 295 APCR, which is close to IS7.

considering its speed and frontal armor,you can easily overpower the likes of IS7 and 5As when fighting for forward positions.

If you wanna play the tier 10 AMX, you use the 130. Period.

280 gold pen is trash, but at least you have good mobility (good enough so your not forced to brawl superheavies all the time) and good accuracy. DPM is bad but it has fucking nice alpha damage for a tank that is not slow, which is its biggest niche.

Lets say it this way - 130’s gold pen sucks, but 120’s combo of shit alpha and shit DPM on a huge platform with shit HP is absolutely fucking terrible combination. The 120’s main advantage is ”ability” to fight superheavies - but because of shit DPM AND alpha and shit HP pool you will lose anyway. So with that in mind the best ”advantage” of the 120 is mitigated by its shitty flaws. And then the all situations where the 130 is superior.

And 120 is bland and uninteresting and outclassed by Cyka Conq in all matters. 560 alpha on HT that isnt as slow as superheavy is at least unique.

If you are going to play it with 120 mm, why the fuck won’t you just play the tier 9, then? The 120 M4 54 is most weak upgrade from tier 9 to tier 10 in the game IMO - it is practically identical to M4 51 except +300 HP. Yay.

TL;DR: either you use 130 because alpha + shit DPM > shit alpha + shit DPM or sell it and play tier 9 instead

Mount the 130 get in a tier 8 game and farm pubbies like there is no tomorrow. 258/280 would be fine if we did not have Gojira tanks and the Maus. Hell those are the only ones (maybe the e3 or jageru but they have weakspots) you will struggler with.

Also 560 is amazing considering the mobility and handling. Also it will be fun to hit tier 8s and 9s for a huge chunk of their health.

I was wondering if the end of the road for this tank had a competitive appearance on todays meta, it will be interesting to see what the owners think of this one. Do you folks think it competes against the current CW preffered tanks anyhow?

1 hour ago, Star_Dust said:

I was wondering if the end of the road for this tank had a competitive appearance on todays meta, it will be interesting to see what the owners think of this one. Do you folks think it competes against the current CW preffered tanks anyhow?

Short version: nope.

Long version: with the 130mm it has horrible pen which will struggle vs superheavies in competitive play. With the 120 mm it has such terrible DPM that it is simply outclassed by the SuperConq and E5.

I have been enjoying some success with making this tank work with the 120 mil. And contrary to what has been said, I do think even with the 120, the tank is better than an E5 (though not by much), while retaining a distinct flavour from the Cyka Conqueror. Hear me out:

To me, the E5 is worse in every way, except for the two things which are DPM and size. The E5 has decent DPM and is fairly petite. The 54 has irredeemably bad DPM and is about as small as a juvenile Diplodocus, and I get it, both are pretty damning downsides. But think about its strengths:

• the gun is a veritable laser on par with the Super Conq's as far as accuracy is concerned, with even better turret bloom and aim time. Unlike, say, the IS-7, the 54 is able to put in shots with near pinpoint accuracy and maintain its damage output over very long ranges;
  • the armour while inconsistent against 340 pen HEAT, works well on flat ground, has small weakspot that are hideable with a little gun depression. Similar to the E5, the 54's armour does a decent job of holding up even when you're rushing down someone without cover, which is not something the British heavies can do. But unlike the E5, when you've finally found that hulldown position, your armour isn't held back by grotesquely bulging cupolas;
  • the mobility is a very comfortable middle ground between the E5 and the IS-7, with more agility than either. Most importantly, unlike the E5 or the Super Conq, you actually reverse faster than 12 km/h and aren't stuck going 34 down hills.

I will say that this tank isn't nearly as strong as some other tanks I've played, such as the IS-7, but it is a fun tank.

I'd describe it as a weird cross-breed between an E5 and an IS-7, with some significant trade-offs.

Gun wise, you have more reliability than even the E5, BUT are stuck with the DPM of an IS-7; 
Your armour is better than the E5, and like the IS-7, holds up well whether you're pushing or hulldown, BUT you make the 113 look tiny and have even more catastrophic side armour than the E5;
You go 40, right between the 37-ish of the E5 and the 45s of the -7.

In the end, the tank has many strengths but also too many weaknesses that hold it back from being truly competitive. Even with the 120 mil, I don't think it's just a worse Superconq or E5. It is certainly worse than the Superconq, but it's not a straight downgrade in the way that the 121 is to the 430U. If I had to compare the two, I'd say it's something like the difference between a Caern and an M4 49.

Waouh ! Was expecting some good moment on this tank.. But no.. It's going to be my first sub 3k dpg since my first T10. It is SOO BAADD !

11 hours ago, DHP said:

Waouh ! Was expecting some good moment on this tank.. But no.. It's going to be my first sub 3k dpg since my first T10. It is SOO BAADD !

Which gun your using? If your using the 120, thats the issue. I got 3.1k DPG with it and my recents are way lower than yours :v

Its not amazing but I find it quite fun and its...playable. 560 alpha with solid mobility and rather reliable gun stats feels unique.

I was using the 130 actually thinking on trying the 120 again. I felt like the grind was easier with it. 

The armor is so bad thought ! 

13 hours ago, DHP said:

WORST TIER 10 TANK I HAVE EVER PLAYED HANDS DOWN ! 

k9UMdOp.png

Holy shit what happened? I'm tempted to run the 130mm in ranked myself just to screw over my team, having reached Rank 10 with the 430U

130mm just has pen problems nothing else too wrong with it.

at least it's not the 14cm on type 5, that is easily the worst tier 10 gun in game.

i noticed westfield is probably the best map for this, you can have good games in it on that map.

Holy shit, I don't know about you guys but I'm enjoying the shit outta this tank.

Maybe it's because I play on the ASIA server where there's more goldspam than the other servers so the M4 51 armour doesn't work but holy shit, the mobility, sick gun handling on the 130 (0.35 on a 130mm gun!) and the armour is pretty Kreygasm.

One thing I've noticed is that it's pretty inconsistent where good games are great and bad games are ebola, but maybe I'm just getting used to the tank.

First session, 18 games, just over 3.8k DPG. Had some bad luck with some bad teams at first (268v4s bouncing 0 damage) but dragged winrate up a bit at the end. Gonna see if I can get it more consistent and go over 4k.

wlW6dJZ.jpg

3 hours ago, Deliberate said:

Holy shit, I don't know about you guys but I'm enjoying the shit outta this tank.

Maybe it's because I play on the ASIA server where there's more goldspam than the other servers so the M4 51 armour doesn't work but holy shit, the mobility, sick gun handling on the 130 (0.35 on a 130mm gun!) and the armour is pretty Kreygasm.

One thing I've noticed is that it's pretty inconsistent where good games are great and bad games are ebola, but maybe I'm just getting used to the tank.

First session, 18 games, just over 3.8k DPG. Had some bad luck with some bad teams at first (268v4s bouncing 0 damage) but dragged winrate up a bit at the end. Gonna see if I can get it more consistent and go over 4k.

wlW6dJZ.jpg

this tank also looks sexy as fuck especially with 130mm 

5 more games today, all wins, 5.8k average damage.

Holy balls this thing is the shit. Up to 4242 average DPG. Doing a full 1k more in this than in the tier 9.

B755EN7.png

Gave up on the tier 9 myself, but am tempted to look again. Once people started working out they could spam HEAT at the turret front it lost it's appeal. One of those tanks that going slightly faster than a Conqueror, doesn't make up for other disadvantages to a Conq.

I also found the 127mm on the tier 9 truly terrible, but the tier 10 with the 130mm looks more interesting, pen aside as the gun handling for that alpha is actually pretty damn good. 

1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

I also found the 127mm on the tier 9 truly terrible

Which is weird to me, as I find the 127mm just all the more awesome. 3rd highest DPG (2861) behind the Skoda t50 and WZ111-14, and a great WR (70%). Ive only used the 127mm

14 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Which is weird to me, as I find the 127mm just all the more awesome. 3rd highest DPG (2861) behind the Skoda t50 and WZ111-14, and a great WR (70%). Ive only used the 127mm

I think it's more like the rest of the tank (and MM!) carrying the shit gun, rather than the gun actually doing the work. The 120mm doesnt lose much alpha but can pen superheavies, and is better at everything at all ranges unless you're trading.

16 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

The alpha is nothing special (less than the E75) and unlike the 130mm on the tier 10 the gun handling is more akin to what you'd expect from a bigger alpha gun, but the main issue was the pen.

E75 has like 311 APCR, 270 AP is below what a T30 fires as standard and I end up using the APCR on the T30 more often due to all those tier 10s to deal with.

I played with the 127mm for about 10-12 games and my DPG plummeted. 

I never have an issue with the pen, personally, and split the ammo 50/50 with 2 HE. The ability to overmatch 40mm armor is great, and the mobility is good enough to in general avoid forced 1v1 engagements.