Errants

perma-blue in computers and tanks looking for advice on laptop

15 posts in this topic

So, sold my condo, and filed my taxes, which means I have a windfall for a new laptop. Looking at getting one that can game, because I'm shamelessly addicted, but also need one for college in the summer (hopefully).

Saw these two on sale at CostCo, and curious as to opinions on them? I am savvy enough to swap HDD/SDD's and RAM if needed, but as they are laptops, I figure other hardware swaps are a no-go.

ASUS ROG GL753 - On sale until Wed for 899.99

• i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz
  • 16GB DDR4
  • 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD
  • 128GB SATA3 SSD
  • 4GB GTX 1050Ti
  • 17.3" 1920x1080

Acer Nitro 5 -  On sale until 11th for 699.99

• i5 7300HQ 2.5 Ghz
  • 8GB DDR4
  • 256GB SSD
  • 4GB GTX 1050
  • 15.6" 1920x1080

The financial advisor (my wife) has budgeted up to $1.5k (but closer to 1K would be best) for gaming laptop, so more expensive recommendations and/or builds are valid. But, saving money is a benefit, and would mean I could throw it at something else (larger SSD, portable storage, upgrades for home desktop, et alia)

So, what do y'all think?

1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

If you're allowed 1.5k and you're willing...

https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-FreeSync-Display-Editing-GL702ZC/dp/B077GBJCNC
and undervolt the cpu

Otherwise select the first one as you want as much clock speed for laptops as you can get for games. I'd also replace the 5400 RPM to a 7200RPM

enjoy your 1 hour battery life. Isn't there a gtx1060 with a decent i5/i7 on sale somewhere for far cheaper? I'd probably get that, unless OP really wants a fucking powerful as fuck CPU.

You can even upgrade, or downgrade the CPU on GL702ZC as desired. It's a full AM4 socket and desktop CPU.

Personal recommendation would be to wait until Intel gets their Vega chips out into the market and see how those do. Wouldn't be surprised if they handily beat the Intel+Nvidia solutions in most ways.

2 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Personal recommendation would be to wait until Intel gets their Vega chips out into the market and see how those do. Wouldn't be surprised if they handily beat the Intel+Nvidia solutions in most ways.

I thought for a second the 702ZC was the vega card. Took me a while to realize it wasn't...

If power consumption/battery life is an issue... I use this right now except with the skylake (6700HQ) mobile chip. https://www.amazon.com/GE62VR-Apache-i7-7700HQ-Geforce-Windows/dp/B06X1GP3MV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517806082&sr=8-3&keywords=msi+apache+pro&dpID=41wqDok0TlL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Runs reasonably cool (~70 degrees full load for a laptop is pretty insane) with undervolting and has reasonable battery life (~3-4h) if you enable the dGPU for games only and lower brightness a bit.

If @Errants wants to save some $ for desktop upgrades, then the first option in the initial post should be the go to. Otherwise go with above for now and/or wait for the Intel/Vega variants as mentioned above.

If you can get a bit above the 1k$ mark the Acer Predator Helios 300 might be a decent choice, given it has a 1060 in it and compared to the rest of that laptops with a 1060 in it, this one is cheaper

40 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

If @Errants wants to save some $ for desktop upgrades, then the first option in the initial post should be the go to. Otherwise go with above for now and/or wait for the Intel/Vega variants as mentioned above.

I think I'm a fan of the $900 budget option, maybe with that suggested HDD swap. Though, as Tanks would be on the SSD with the OS, the HDD would only be used for anything single-player I drop on it, as well as non-essential programs...

Desktop is currently this, a terrible hodgepodge:

• i5-4690K 3.5Ghz
  • 16GB DDR3(?)
  • 256GB SSD
  • 1TB 5400RPM HDD
  • 2TB 7200RPM HDD
  • GTX 960

It is old and out of date, but I've not noticed much lag on my single player games coming from the 1TB drive.

Edit: And then @Strigonx showed me a shiney... now I'm torn. Certainly thinking on the one with HDD add-on...

Out of those two, I'd get the one with the 1050 ti and 16 GB of RAM.

speaking from experience 1050ti is kinda errrrrrr

I would go for the cheapest 7700HQ+1060 i can find.

2 hours ago, Errants said:

I think I'm a fan of the $900 budget option, maybe with that suggested HDD swap. Though, as Tanks would be on the SSD with the OS, the HDD would only be used for anything single-player I drop on it, as well as non-essential programs...

Desktop is currently this, a terrible hodgepodge:

• i5-4690K 3.5Ghz
  • 16GB DDR3(?)
  • 256GB SSD
  • 1TB 5400RPM HDD
  • 2TB 7200RPM HDD
  • GTX 960

It is old and out of date, but I've not noticed much lag on my single player games coming from the 1TB drive.

Edit: And then @Strigonx showed me a shiney... now I'm torn. Certainly thinking on the one with HDD add-on...

That Acer looks like a fucking steal. I'm impressed they managed to get it $1100.
The only cons I can see from it (judging by reviews on Notebookcheck) are the monitor's brightness and temperature under load (this can easily be solved by underclocking on intel XTU).

Honestly, I would say it's pretty worth.

48 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

A 4690k is hardly out of date.

Think he's speaking more of the GPU

Another good one for $899

So, comparing some stuff...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=3365|34-233-196^34-233-196%2C34-154-702^34-154-702%2C34-233-226^34-233-226%2C34-234-830^34-234-830%2C34-154-620^34-154-620

Realized I'd rather stay closer to 1.2k than 1.5k... And would like a metal/aluminum body, as this is going to college/on an ambulance.

Other recommendations/thoughts/preferences between what has been seen in the thread so far?