Tanager

Obj 257 - the Armored Catamaran

48 posts in this topic

I played 1 battle. Sold it immediately afterward. Played lots of tier 9 and 10, ate those fuckers for lunch, breakfast, and dinner. Thanks for the 1.9mil credits, WG

I've seen lots of these. I have had no problem dealing with them. They try overangling to use the side armor, but there's always some of that huge pike nose visible so.... no problem.

the UFP seems to be the weakspot, unless hes head on, then shoot the LFP.

I can see the troll potential though, so will keep it (need a crew first) im sure it will be trolltastic to play

2 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

the UFP seems to be the weakspot, unless hes head on, then shoot the LFP.

I can see the troll potential though, so will keep it (need a crew first) im sure it will be trolltastic to play

It'll only be troll if they're reverse scraping, and you're not in a position to overmatch their turret. I spent all of 3 minutes looking at it in tanks.gg, and theres just no way this tank can position to prevent easy pens

32 minutes ago, TheMarine0341 said:

It'll only be troll if they're reverse scraping, and you're not in a position to overmatch their turret. I spent all of 3 minutes looking at it in tanks.gg, and theres just no way this tank can position to prevent easy pens

Vs good players yeah but vs potatoes no. Potatoes will be baited to shoot your sides for at least a month

On 2/7/2018 at 0:15 PM, Sapros said:

Am I the only one who had to look up what a catamaran is? 

Peasant ;)

I'm a certifiable idiot, but it has been a hoot over the past 17 matches.  .  It's fun shooting other 257's in the LFP while they shoot my turret front and pike.  Once everyone figures it out, I can sell it and go back to stinking in RU mediums.

1 hour ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Peasant ;)

Yeah, they've let all too many hoi polloi in here now.  Pit me an olive, would you, my good man?

Trying to figure out if this thing is worth the effort of sinking a crew into it. I already have the IS7 researched (not bought) so don't need to grind it, so playing it would only be for flavour. Armour seems like it could troll people but at the same time, so many people running around with it at the moment and it doesn't seem that strong. Still generally think the T-10 seems the stronger vehicle.

5 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Trying to figure out if this thing is worth the effort of sinking a crew into it. I already have the IS7 researched (not bought) so don't need to grind it, so playing it would only be for flavour. Armour seems like it could troll people but at the same time, so many people running around with it at the moment and it doesn't seem that strong. Still generally think the T-10 seems the stronger vehicle.

It's autopen for Heat. It negates the autobounce side and the front becomes super easy to pen. The T-10 was better. The funny thing is the IS cant pen it but the chinese IS2 can pen the side of with it's 250 heat. So yeah GJ to WG.

I'm trying to figure out how this is a better lead-in to the IS-7 than the T-10, since it sits up like a monster truck and has a paper turret roof.

2 hours ago, Tanager said:

I'm trying to figure out how this is a better lead-in to the IS-7 than the T-10, since it sits up like a monster truck and has a paper turret roof.

It's generally more derpy than a T-10 just like the IS-7.

This was my favorite thing in the patch notes...

ZtUlVTu.png

On 2/9/2018 at 4:48 PM, Balthazars said:

A crew with BIA is enough. Everything else is superfluous.

I had a match a couple of days ago where I 1v2'd one of these and an HE-spamming Lowe (so basically, I 1v1'd a 257) in my IS-M.  He might've been bad but that doesn't take away from the fact that I utterly destroyed him at facehug range.

Sure I slammed gold through his pike a bunch and also managed to hit his ammorack after forcing a kit burn on tracks, and I had like 20 hp left, but... yeah.

Anyways, I sold mine without even playing a single battle in it. I don't have a crew for it and I don't have equipment for it, and I needed the credits for other things.

Sold it, too. I can see the meme/troll potential but overall seems like a very unfun tank to play. Didnt have a crew for it either.

Rather play the T-10 which is just so nice to play.

Mini review after 30 games
The tank has many absurd strengths at the cost of almost as many handicaps. Tank is defos broken, probably slightly overpowered as well. Here is why:

The gun: 7/10 (4/10 if you don't spam HEAT)
The gun can pretty much be defined as: like the T-10's but worse.

Pros

• APCR as standard
  • 315 pen HEAT 
  • Decent DPM
  • Decent bloom
  • 40 shells allows good mix of everything

Cons

• APCR means your shells travel at light speed to miss their target two times as quickly as they normally would
  • 248 APCR means you bounce off E75 and IS-7 LFPs, HEAT spam is a must (i.e. AMX 30 problems)
  • 2.66 aim time means you're no T-10 when it comes to mid range snapping
  • .37 accuracy is manageable - if it weren't for the shitty APCR pen, derpy gun and long aim time
  • Expensive to run due to reliance on gold.
  • Tall tank. Can be difficult to find shots with -5 gundep.

Basically, you don't play the 257 for the gun. I rate the firepower below all 120 mils at this tier, below the WZ and the T-10 (and the 705), but around the same level as the German 12.8s and the the ST-I.

The armour (Stalin's moustache/10)
The armour doesn't really work when you show your front, and the turret is worse than you'd think, BUT - this thing is tougher than a Maus when you're being flanked, and is the god of reverse sidescrapes. Also, you meet IS-6s. My weeb friends call this tank the iron pantsu panza with the lewd tracks, and they're not wrong:

Pros

• Hull is shaped exactly like pantsu and is capable of taking as much HEAT as you'd expect from your typical anime cum dumpster.
  • Tracks are absurdly thick and the ribs of the suspension count as multiple layers of spaced armour so even extremely high caliber HEAT get's absorbed
  • Good turret (sans the roof, the mantlet and the cupolas), esp the sides.
  • 1.9 k HP
  • Diamond LFP is probably EVEN smaller than an EVEN's.
  • Nearly unbeatable in a reverse sidescrape (godmode against APCR). The high slope of the upper side hull means you can take fire from a 30 degree-ish arc and still remain impenetrable.

Cons

• Shitty pike with low base thickness and steep angles - becomes like 210-ish if angled.
  • Overmatchable roof + cupolas
  • Lower side hull 45mm thick - means theoretically overmatchable by 150mm calibre guns or above, BUT - most 150 mm guns are mounted on platforms the size of a bus which simply reliably find shots on the zone.
  • Ammorack issues + driver dies all the time
  • Unlike the IS-7, can't simply push into enemies and facehug them - you have to tease them by flashing your pretty arse and get them to dump their load on your skirt.

Overall: not an IS-7. Armour is not exactly retard proof, nor can it hulldown as well as a T-10. There is a specific way to use this thing's armour, which once mastered, allows you to hold off tier 10s with minimal support. In a reverse sidescrape, enemies need to overextend to pen this thing.

Mobility (7/10)
Can't really flex like a true heavium, but a true heavium doesn't tank Jagdtiger shots while tracked in the open either. Top speed is low, but agility is monstrous.

Pros

• Cannot be flanked
  • 50 kmh top speed
  • 15 HP/T

Cons

• Shitty terrain resistances a la IS-7.
  • Top speed is a lie: goes 38-ish on flat ground
  • Can't turn on a dime
  • Can't really ram on flat ground

Overall: play a T-10 if you like fast heavies. The mobility of this tank is used for brawling 24/7.

Why is this tank broken?
Well, it's cancer against low tiers because of the nature of the armour. And it's cancer against high tiers as well because it can just, reverse, poke at a stupid angle and laugh manically as you absorb 340 pen HEAT magically with your Soviet hovercraft hull. I expected this tank to be a heavium, and it terms of the gun and mobility, it would have definitely been one - if and only if it didn't have this Tier 11 armour scheme, doing things that even the IS-7 cannot. AS IT IS the tank has what is effectively superheavy levels of armour with a decent-ish gun, and on top of all that, heavium mobility. 

Lastly, IS IT FUN?
Yes if you like assault tanks and yes if you like the IS-7. If you prefer the 5A to the -7, you'll probably prefer the T-10 to the 257. And a big 'NO' if you like balanced tanks that are good for the game.

PS for best results run with the stock turret 

Thanks, good review.

On 14/02/2018 at 9:24 AM, lavawing said:

PS for best results run with the stock turret 

Wait, seriously? What are the pros & cons of the different turrets?

2 hours ago, ogremage said:

Thanks, good review.

Wait, seriously? What are the pros & cons of the different turrets?

Well, kind of. The stock turret is much better for hull down since......it's an IS-3 turret mounted on a really tall hull which mitigates the roof issues;  OTOH the top turret has weak cupolas AND a bigger roof. As a heavy tank, the extra toughness afforded by a the IS-3 turret far outweights the 100 HP of the 257 turret. The question remains, that is, if the better armour is enough to offset the lower DPM and accuracy. On second thought, seeing as the 257's gun is already kind of shit, the .4 accuracy of the stock turret would neuter what firepower the tank had - unless - and only unless you spam HEAT, in which case the shit accuracy doesn't really matter.

is it just me or the ammo rack on this thing takes the whole UFP, having a field day with the conqueror seeing potato 257s around

Like others here I sold it without playing it. I’m sure it causes Defender-like rage for lower tiers. But it definitely doesn’t cause Defender like rage for same tier tanks. Finishing my grind in the Conq. I had no trouble dispatching these, putting standard round after standard through its lfp and, more importantly, it’s ufp. The extra hull height does seem to be a major weakness of this tank. It seems to struggle to hide it in the usual ruskie hulldown spots. 315 heat pen with its gun handling is terrible. Sticking with the T-10.

Using about half gold half AP from a panther at about 250m (195 and 234 pen) I bounced 17/19 off of a broadside 257 . . . glad I flanked and got his side.  The broadside of his turret is ~260mm

Continuing the WG lose/lose mantra of tanks that suck to play and suck to play against.