Kolni

Patch 1.0 - HD Maps and other things

19 posts in this topic

So 9.22 was bad, this is worse. I'm just going through them map for map that I've played and the problems and I'll move onto the rest afterwards: 

• Abbey - Looks much prettier, basically the same layout except for the 2 line. The rock in the middle that gave you cover from the north is much much smaller, and the bushes don't cover the gaps you give into the Abbey all the way. The northern play of going 2 line is completely demolished as you can't commit to it without an instant crossfire you can get out of if your team doesn't take the Abbey. With the gaps you're getting spotted from the Abbey when crossing. The bushes are completely pointless. GG. The modeling of the rock doesn't exactly help either as you cannot actually poke in regards to it without committing all the way to the next gap where you will simply get spotted from the Abbey again and into another crossfire. 2-line from north is a complete waste of time now.

• Cliff - It's been biased toward the south side for ages, and still is. This is one of the maps that actually got flatter. With the bigger backgrounds it looks like every map did, but most actually didn't. This one did however. The TDs now have much better shots in the base and straight into the middle, and the one good thing about the donut is that while the south play is still better for taking it, the hulldown when peeking from it into the middle is gone. That said the middle is worse to play, less variable options and you need depression to work it, playing on the outside doesn't work anymore because you get shot from the base. 9-0 line feels fine and so does the hill itself though. 

• El Halluf - TD lines have been demolished, the mountains are so much taller so playing a defensive game after losing the northwest is much harder, much fewer places to punish people peeking from the opposing ends balcony .The south spawn had its hulldown spot in the NW taken away as well, it still works but now it requires 6 degrees of gun dep while facing the the enemy head on with your front as your UFP will stick out otherwise. With a strong UFP it still works, but it's much harder to poke from and much easier to punish from the heavy corners. I honestly don't know if this change is a good one or a bad one, these positions a little bit too strong. Ultimately I think the value of winning the NW went down a little bit and gave more options to the beach, but I haven't tried that yet so I'll have to wait and see. 

• Himmelsdorf - This one is actually pretty good. No major changes in the middle and I haven't checked out the hill yet, but the middle and the 1-2 felt very playable from both sides which is honestly a sidegrade at worst, while looking much much better. 

• Siegfried Line - This one got me real mad, the opening spot from south where play against the church on the southeast corner where you can shoot through the small tunnel on the heavies is not gone, but there's a strategic bush there now that makes you unable to spot most tanks through it. There's also rubble there now so you're a bit safer fighting there if you have a low profile, but if you have a low profile it gets much harder to put your shots in. Otherwise the map felt fine, the field seems flatter (probably a mirage of the bigger backgrounds) but I did notice that the shots into people crossing to 1 line are much bigger and last longer, so some elevation changes are bound to have happened, I just can't think of where yet. 

• Serene Coast - The peninsula feels like an overall upgrade. This map has some pretty big visual bugs there but that flank is much better from both sides to play. Safer angles and the ridiculous TD spots in the north are much worse and way easier to dig out, an E3 can't just hulldown there for eternity staying permaspotted now. The C1 area got a lot flatter, and depression seems to matter less. Turret armour matters more. It's divided into two roads like it used to be, but the divider is much flatter so the first team to get there is even more likely to win the area. It turned into a trading game very quick, but I haven't checked this from the north spawn yet. 

• Murovanka - a lot more trees are added along the outside of the forest, and the pushing into the south downside there is opened up much more, giving you a much harder time against redliners to push it whatsoever. From the outside of the forest it was also way way easier to discern where you have the shots into the 1-2 line ridge and preaiming for them, so that's a plus I guess. I doubt meta will change on this map but I think the overall acceptance of the north winning the forest by default is going to die out pretty quickly. I haven't played 1-2 yet. 

• Redshire - Same thing here. I've spent my time outside of the main engagement to let me have more time to check out the rest of the map. 9-0 still unexplored but the rest of the map is entirely useless. 9-0 meta became even more firm. There's no way trade well on this map or rely on vision in the west anymore, it's too open and the few abusable spots that were have had their bushes removed.

What's good about all of the changes is that very few maps have made any really big changes, so you feel familiar with the angles and not disoriented. Go play Prokhorovka, it's the exact same map but it really doesn't feel like it despite very few changes. What's obviously bad is that WG really hammered down on micropositioning, much fewer hulldown spots and much fewer abuseable bushes will sadly just bring the player skill spectrum ends closer to eachother. 

These are however the only maps I've been getting, and I've really taken my time to explore the areas for general impressions. I still need to play the new Erlenberg, and a few others so I'd really like some opinions on them. 

Some other things about the patch:

• Firing your gun behaves differently, I can't tell if it's good or bad but in sniper mode it's much easier to account for terrain and adjust accordingly, but also gives you a much worse impression of where your shell is going unless you resume in sniper mode until the shell connects. Sometimes it just doesn't even trace at all which is super frustrating since the sounds are bugged and you only have the enemy HP indicator to tell if you connected or not. This is obviously going to get fixed but the the shells themselves seem bigger as they aren't pixels anymore, they're much easier to spot when someone fires at you and misses and so on. 
  • Bugs. So many of them. Tundra has places on the map where your tank pretty much flies, plenty of trees that don't knock over and so on on other maps. No recieving damage sounds. Obviously getting fixed but still. 
  • Chromatic Abberation doesn't work very well and you can't turn it off. If you're facing bright lights the environment around you it reacts with will start losing focus and it really sucks. 
  • The physics are still far too poor to actually warrant the HAVOC engine, even on good framerates demolishing objects looks poor at best. 
  • Optimization: FPS values are much better, I'm playing maxed out right now with a 7700K and 1070 and am able to run 2 1080p side monitors along with the 4K DSR on the main one for the WoT without dropping below 80 even once. If I put it to high (where it looks better than the current ultra tbh) then this runs better than the old client. For people on the mid to high end this is a much better optimized game. Can't really say for the lower end yet though. 
  • Some modeling needs to be redone as even on Ultra there's plenty of misleading textures (especially with the rockspam they've made on mountain sides)

So what do you guys think so far? I like that it's pretty, but despite being test server and test server baddies the gameplay is a big giant downgrade to me. 

I've gotten Steppes a couple times and a notable change I've observed there is the addition of raised areas with bushes/trees at each end of the 9-0 for TDs (I assume). The north in particular was also changed a bit, elevation between the low road and the rest of the flank was decreased and you can play additional angles there against people trying to push low. I'll get some screenshots if I get the map again. 

Siegfried Assault is completely ruined, the north area from the attacking side is much harder to play. The angles you have from the bunkers all have added rubble so you're going against camping hulldown targets. GG.

Also, hugging tanks have the same bug they did after the last physics change. You can hardly move and stick to them, hugging a Type 5 side is noticeably harder

El Halluf beach seems better, much better progression from the north with better angles

I only played 2 games on test, got Mali and Nebelburg which both seem to operate much the same. Main things I noticed was the lack of damage indication, was fighting a 140 on Mali hill and only noticed getting shot once, looked at my health and saw I'd been hit 3 times. Other thing was that the graphics are somehow worse for me. :notlikethis:

Erlenberg is very very different, entire east side plays completely differently now since they removed all the elevation on the southern end

Mountain Pass seems fine, the south plays roughly the same but with some changes, pretty much all gaps are tighter and smaller meaning poking and closing the distance is easier, overall a better thing, only problem with the map is that the TD hill from the north has even better shots when you push into it from the south...

Fjords is a giant fuckfest right now, map looks very nice and has some nice spots, but they've opened up the middle so much while closing in the north so much that it's really really hard to fight several tanks at once, you can't stay safe. C7 is gone and can be challenged from both sides now, lost its value in reality because you commit to it and then you're stuck and can't get out. North crossfire is still there and since it's played by slopes instead of bushes you don't really have an edge fighting from there anymore

I only watched Anfield's video on youtube and I can say Fisherman's bay 1-2 line is impossible to push from both sides. Maybe LTs could break a camp but the problem is north can camp with one Strv in A1 and never be spotted. Middle ridge is longer from north to south and with less cover so taking shots will be much harder whitout getting spotted. City stays the same.

Arfield and Ensk look pretty much the same aka bad

Erlenberg and Fisherman's feel like alpha versions of actual maps. I hope they're merely testing the waters with them.

• Paris - Why the fuck is it still there? It looks definitely prettier now but apart from the looks it is 1 to 1 the same map. I did not notice a single change. Same useless field, same Heavy Corner (to be fair, I drove a light and didn't check the heavy corner to closely). Why didn't they at least tried to rework it a bit, like they did with Pilsen.
    And the worst thing of all. You can't shoot down the balloons :popcornkitty:

Everything is so flat and open now, I was running around on fishermans bay last night in my batchat and I just felt naked.  They worked so hard to ruin accuracy and pen values to decrease sniping - then they turn around and spray defoliant on all of the maps.  It feels as if there is nothing between TDs at draw range or 705a's at 50 yards.  Every map feels like Nebelburg with no midrange play. 

The T-100LT may become the most powerful tank in the game with the end of bushes.

2 hours ago, hall0 said:
  • And the worst thing of all. You can't shoot down the balloons :popcornkitty:

They need to fix that ASAP.:brokenheart:

8 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Everything is so flat and open now, I was running around on fishermans bay last night in my batchat and I just felt naked.  They worked so hard to ruin accuracy and pen values to decrease sniping - then they turn around and spray defoliant on all of the maps.  It feels as if there is nothing between TDs at draw range or 705a's at 50 yards.  Every map feels like Nebelburg with no midrange play.

The T-100LT may become the most powerful tank in the game with the end of bushes.

This. For me it was very hard to focus and decide within the matter of seconds if a tank would 100m away or more / less without constantly looking at the minimap. Sniping in my light tanks unspotted became very easy, in each and every game I could find a spot where I can hide and farm (except massive city maps ofc). All the maps feels vast where you could either yolo into the middle of the battle or try some sniping from 300m which exactly feels like 50.

As Kolni mentioned, shells are now visible thus I was distracted when heavy tanks shot me from longer distances but the bullets just swung near my tank.

Of course every player just starting to exhibit the maps and redesigned elements but I can tell that this will bring a huge change into the gameplay. With less elements to hide behind, more bushes and campy spots this also will narrow the skill difference between players as mentioned above too.

I will not know, but 1.0 I went back to my first days of playing wot, specifically excel in TD's.

Only sad thing however is that now in my strvb played 5 games, randomly selected some bush which I couldn't recall which position was in the current patch, sit behind it and farm 7k+ every game.

Wandering medium or heavy tanks got punished instantly for full hp and while I know that this is like an alpha test server state - I don't like the road wg stepped on.

So are there any balance changes coming this patch? Or are they coming later? Because the power creep at upper tiers has become insane and needs to be addressed

4 hours ago, Tupinambis said:

So are there any balance changes coming this patch? Or are they coming later? Because the power creep at upper tiers has become insane and needs to be addressed

No, we think Type 5 is fine as is. We may buff it after analyzing more statistics, since they are easily outplayed by TVP VTU's.

btw. Do you guys get a sound when you get hit? Unlike with the live version I don´t seem to get any impact sounds when I get shot. Sometimes I lose HP without even noticing it. 

3 hours ago, hall0 said:

btw. Do you guys get a sound when you get hit? Unlike with the live version I don´t seem to get any impact sounds when I get shot. Sometimes I lose HP without even noticing it. 

According to someone who reads official forums, they confirmed there that it's a bug and should be fixed in the final patch.

37 minutes ago, Marty said:

"According to someone who reads official forums"

I wouldn't admit to that either :minidoge:

Paris - for me it's completely unplayable. Black textures in sniper view and disappearing buildings.

Lakeville - city is dead because middle road is able to snipe enemy team without a problem (at least south cap). There is absolutely no reason to go to city.

Also everything is way to bright. Right now it looks like Bethesda Fallout. Had to use 1940's filter...