Kolni

Patch 1.0 - HD Maps and other things

53 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2018 at 12:30 PM, hall0 said:
  • Paris - Why the fuck is it still there? It looks definitely prettier now but apart from the looks it is 1 to 1 the same map. I did not notice a single change. Same useless field, same Heavy Corner (to be fair, I drove a light and didn't check the heavy corner to closely). Why didn't they at least tried to rework it a bit, like they did with Pilsen.
    And the worst thing of all. You can't shoot down the balloons :popcornkitty:

They have made one change, lights can't rush the middle early game and spot people crossing between the gaps in the buildings to get some early spots, they have blocked the view both ways with more bushes. 

So one of the few ways to do some useful spotting on that map is gone, cos we can't have the heavy bobs get shot in the side now can we, even though they could just take a longer route and avoid it. 

18 minutes ago, hall0 said:

What should I do then in my scouts? Field is f.. useless. 

Stay in garage, so WarGaming doesn't have to think about their game-balance too hard.

Reinstalled, logged in, saw nothing significant had changed as far as I cared, no daily mission... logged out.

Abbey showed up in a tier 2 match.  That was weird.

Tier 1 mastery medals are probably still bugged.  Koloho is still, at least.

15 hours ago, hall0 said:

What should I do then in my scouts? Field is f.. useless. 

I think basically they are making it so you get a certain map in a certain class you are then completely useless, so bobs get guaranteed easy wins. Chose a heavy tank, get Paris, guaranteed good win and no pesky meds or lights will ruin your game.  

I do reasonably well in my lights in Paris. Straight to field, spot the scrubs crossing between the mounds, get some assisted, wait for their scout to drop down, then rush the field to their mound, proxy everything and get spots on their arty. Most times it works easily enough

It would be nice if the game did not crash in the middle of a match. Every single time I try to play.

Has the funny experience of driving a scout on Paris today. It is true. Middle early spot is no more. Now I feeling totally useless as scout on this map. 

HD maps are effectively reverting to the old physics engine. You can't cross dirt piles, due to invisible walls. There are no short-cuts anymore. You can't slide down from elevated positions. 

I can do better than that. I designed the perfect map:

perfect_map.png

WG please hire me.

What have they done to poor Erlenberg?!?! They made it so much worse!! In the previous version I could break enemy camps from crossing middle bridge. From both sides. Now a TD can lock it up completely and can't even get shot by arty. And you want to try to go from the north and south bridges or move from the south part of the map to the North or vise versa? Think again. On all 4 corners of the map vast open fields with thick bushes and forests at the edges...

And they actually managed to make Fjords worse. I didn't think that was even possible. 

Its fucking unplayable...

It looks awesome, but plays like shit, gameplay -> graphics crap, so fuck this patch.

I will vote the only way i can, with my wallet / time, and simply not play for a while, fuck this so much (campers everywhere, TD tards all around and on top also more arty it seems, FU WG!!)

/ rant

Funny thing is the whole shiny bloom graphics look like garbage on minimal settings plus i get this strange bug where the terrain is different 15m in front of the tank as it is under the tank. It's disorienting and basically makes the game unplayable. 

Well at least I will able to end the addiction even if it will be at the cost of me no longer getting some extra cash from wot

10 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

Its fucking unplayable...

It looks awesome, but plays like shit, gameplay -> graphics crap, so fuck this patch.

I will vote the only way i can, with my wallet / time, and simply not play for a while, fuck this so much (campers everywhere, TD tards all around and on top also more arty it seems, FU WG!!)

/ rant

Thats what happens when you spend more time/money making the game look good instead of being enjoyable to play. They applied a nice gold plating to a rotting corpse. and called it a day.

I would rather play a WoT that looked like it was in 2011 that had most of the issues fixed then what we have now. I have been "voting" with my wallet by not playing for more then a year.... I thought 1.0 might have actually brought me in, but making a game pretty while making the gameplay actively worse!!! nah fuck off. At least WoWs is still got my interest, but that all WG has left for me.

9 hours ago, Crossfader said:

Thats what happens when you spend more time/money making the game look good instead of being enjoyable to play. They applied a nice gold plating to a rotting corpse. and called it a day.

I would rather play a WoT that looked like it was in 2011 that had most of the issues fixed then what we have now. I have been "voting" with my wallet by not playing for more then a year.... I thought 1.0 might have actually brought me in, but making a game pretty while making the gameplay actively worse!!! nah fuck off. At least WoWs is still got my interest, but that all WG has left for me.

But it's a trend that has been happening for big games for years. Games before like 2008 or 2007 didn't sacrifice everything for graphics and "cool" gameplay mechanics. Remember when games felt like they had movie worthy plots? Feeling really engaged in what was happening. 

Now it's all about making the game look good in trailers and for the mouthbreathers.

I still can not believe Erlenberg went to live as it was on CT. I'd like to use the word "retarded" however it is overused and does not convey what I want to express. I can not think of any maps that got better mechanics wise, most of them stayed the same and some got a lot worse.

While removing vegetation, hard cover and terrain deformaties they actually managed to make the game even more campy. How the fuck is that even possible? There are 2-3 spots on a map which you have to take (like the hill on mines) or you practically lose by default. Any agressive play or scouting attempt is met with multiple HESH FVs or swedish bushwankers (see Glacier as a fine example). Im surprised they managed to not fuck up redshire or (completely fuck up) steppes. 

PS. Fjords was probably redone by the same guy/guys as Erlenberg. Even if the meta settles to something the map is so stupid it boggles the mind. I do believe no amount of meta will balance the winrate out between spawns.

I have a feeling that the way they changed some of these maps was a cack handed attempt to "balance" the super heavy meta that has arisen from all the armour overbuffing, while at the same time making LTs more relevant... 

Basically instead of admitting that they have royally screwed balance of tanks by setting armour values vs premium ammo usage rather than normal ammo while at the same time refusing to rebalance premium ammo and LT stats; they have decided to use map design as a poor bodge of a fix...

The upshot is that LTs are still rendered impotent on many maps...SH HTs will still dominate certain maps while being horrible to play on others. TDs will still largely camp, mediums will become a bit worse to play on maps like Erlenburg, arty will be much the same.

WG continuing to put the cart before the horse ad infinitum... 2018 style.

On 25/03/2018 at 5:44 PM, GehakteMolen said:

on top also more arty it seems, FU WG!!)

/ rant

Arty is because many of the maps are more flat and open, some areas that are heavy brawling areas they have made less arty friendly (like Redshire brawl, El Halluf north corner) but generally flatter and more open maps means easier arty shots.

Plus because everyone is camping and doesn't want to be spotted, anyone playing actively becomes instant arty target even without XVM focus.

I also reckon because people don't know the maps many have taken to arty as safe way to look around them.

All in all it adds up to me at least thata there is more arty in game and you get hit more often unless you join the other campers. 

This is horrendous, but i think the meta will make meds great again. Because the average retard will switch Heavys for TDs and Arty making meds more relevant even in these cancer-worthy maps (maybe with a nerf to cheese wedges too). I mean unless they change the maps AGAIN and nerf SH they will never shine like they once did, but they will bea tad better than now.

Any one else enjoying how easy it is to flip your fucking tank now? It feels like they tweaked traction to where you can drive straight up a wall again, and between that and all the smooth HD rubble and crap everywhere the simple act of moving feels more dangerous than ever.

Some maps are totally imbalanced like Cliffs or Fjords. They gave one side super extra sniping position and for them everything is ok.

Gotta give them credit, couldn't have imagined how Fjords could have been made worse, but they pulled it off. The center zone is even more of a no man's land, the perch in the center is virtually useless due to being devoid of cover and concealment, and thanks to the lowering of the center mountain arty can fuck over half the map now.

On 3/31/2018 at 11:02 PM, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Gotta give them credit, couldn't have imagined how Fjords could have been made worse, but they pulled it off. The center zone is even more of a no man's land, the perch in the center is virtually useless due to being devoid of cover and concealment, and thanks to the lowering of the center mountain arty can fuck over half the map now.

I've played it only 1 time thanks to map rotation. Can anyone explain to me which team has the better spawn? South? 

4 hours ago, hazzgar said:

I've played it only 1 time thanks to map rotation. Can anyone explain to me which team has the better spawn? South? 

I think both spawns are equally bullshit! Just a really crappy map from both sides. If I had to choose one I'd take southwest because they have an advantage in the north area on the hill.