Manic_Wombat

French BB Impressions

20 posts in this topic

Bretagne. Apart from having different ranges for HE & AP it felt utterly bland. And slow at a max speed of 21.1 knots.

Lyon: I haven't got it yet but a clannie has. The dispersion seemed to be "German" but with 16 guns -  2.6 times as many as Gneisenau - who cares. Secondaries seemed effective when he got in range.  In Operation Narie he did over 250k damage.

Richelieu is good. Every game I have had so far has been tier 10 and I have been in the top half of the table.  I've scored a cit on a Yamato who was sitting at an angle (not bow on, not broadside) and I've dev-striked a Des Moines.  This is a keeper.

5 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

dev-striked a Des Moines. 

Mutsu can do that... poor paper Des

Lyon requests you surrender your citadels, you won't have them for long anyway.

The tier 7 Lyon is a glorious shotgun of Doom!  Get close enough to land the 16 shells and you will be rewarded with some hefty pens/cits.

So how exactly do these missions work? I'm a little confused, but I'm looking to get back into WoWS after not playing for about a year. I just want a Richelieu (eventually).

My understanding is that in the containers you get, there is a chance of getting a mission that allows you to grind xp for one of the new French BBs?

3 hours ago, FavreFan4ever said:

So how exactly do these missions work? I'm a little confused, but I'm looking to get back into WoWS after not playing for about a year. I just want a Richelieu (eventually).

My understanding is that in the containers you get, there is a chance of getting a mission that allows you to grind xp for one of the new French BBs?

You can either get them from the ingame containers or buy containers to get them.

They are rewarded has personal missions, with the tier 5 needing 10k base exp to get, the others need more exp, they go up in increments.

The ships for now are considered premium ships so you can use any french captain in them, when 7.2 drops they become like normal ships, but you keep them

The missions start at 10k base xp for the t5 as Cossfader said, and go up by 2k base xp with every tier.

4 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

The missions start at 10k base xp for the t5 as Cossfader said, and go up by 2k base xp with every tier.

sunday looks to have been rough in WoWs, good thing i just played Subnautica

I ground out about 220k-240k xp on the Lyon yesterday. I probably have about 50% winrate because of the teams having one side or the other basically refuse to play the game.

I feel bad for the poor souls attempting to carry the enemy teams that got trashed.

Edit: So in my attempt to get 16 points on the fancy new French captain, I've accumulated 286k xp on the Lyon over 42 games.

Edited by TouchFluffyTail

Alright managed to get the mission for all the ships 

Bretagne- standard 10 gun 340mm BB at tier 5, can't beat the Iron Duke for HE Spam, can't beat the Konig for toughness, at least it has the range going for it 18.1km when they fix the bug currently with HE having a higher range than AP. Has 22 139mm secondaries that fire HE great for laughing at the sight of them firing like a man o war. It has better midrange AA than an top hull New York seriously 44dps at 3.5km vs 28 for the new york and it blows the new york short range out of the water with an 3km range with 60dps versus 28 for 2km range on the new york.    

Normandie- First French Shotgun, better than the Fuso in the sense of concentration of firepower, easy to train turrets on target, No AA defense even on top hull like seriously it runs with less than 60 overall AA dps at tier 6 it scraps the Barrel at 51. It's got speed 29 knots.

Lyon- More Dakka for the French gods, why not get a 16 gun broadside top hull gives you an American Style AA refit, like spam all the bofors, issue is you'll start to realize the limitations of the 340mm guns when your compatriots are running around with 16 inch guns or 16.1 if your the japs. 

Richelieu - Concentrate all firepower forwards, the ship, you can give a little angle to bring the secondaries some chipping power, don't let the bow tanking get to your head because you are fresh meat for Yamato's and Musashi's the speed boost pushes you out to a 34.5 knot top speed. You got that top hull American AA refit seriously with BFT and AFT you push the mid range bofors out to 267 dps for 4.2km range it gives the North Carolina a run for its money with the same skills it goes to a 285 dps for 4.2km range. 

If you think that the low caliber is a handicap of any significance for the Lyon, you're playing it wrong.

8 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

If you think that the low caliber is a handicap of any significance for the Lyon, you're playing it wrong.

I haven't played any of these ships, but I have gotten so used to "poor performing" AP shells that I have to actively consider where I'm aiming when I play the Roma or Yamato. My default target is now the upper belt.

I didn't even want to touch new bbs, but got bretagne and normandie from missions... Well, the first one is finda fun with all those secondaries, the second....

So far, found her guns to be a bit mixed bag, armor is not so good, aa is good against low tier planes only, kinda fast, looks... Weird. But damn, she's got the moves! Turns like a cruiser, with a rudder upgrade SHE'S A DANCING QUEEN.

Damn, I... I think I found myself a new waifu. And she's a 3d as well...

obligatory "your waifu is trash" post here. On a side note, I'm not overly excited for them. Loss of overmatch is going to have yet more people HE spamming, and they seem to like awkward turret layouts with the exception of Richie and Alsace.

~~D A N C I N G  Q U E E N~~

Also, forgot about one more thing - those new bbs seem a bit tall, at least mid tiers. Not good :/

13 hours ago, bathoz said:

I haven't played any of these ships, but I have gotten so used to "poor performing" AP shells that I have to actively consider where I'm aiming when I play the Roma or Yamato. My default target is now the upper belt.

I'm the same now, it's probably costing me a few citadels with those ships for the times when I forget.

Normandie is great at T6. The guns at 15km really tear up T8 BB's with either AP or HE. The 19.1 Km range is very usable. It also has decent armor.

I have tier 5, 6 and 7. All feel ok or well balanced except tier 7 could be overpowered with its 16 guns.

Especially tiers 5 and 6 turn tight, feels like Warspite where its often better turn ship to get guns on target instead of turning guns. Helps evading enemy fire and dodging torps.

Turret traverses pretty bad, use new french special captain with turret traverse skill if you got it already. At first looked like guns would be too small calibre but they feel better than expected, maybe they have good sigma and penetration or something. Not getting that much citadel hits on enemy bb's but still doing decent damage even when they angle.  And of course tier 7 with its 16 guns absolutely murders cruisers even with its bad sigma.

Not BB expert but their armor feels adequate, as usual you can get citadeled if showing side but angled feels they tank fine. Though turret angles are pretty bad on all of them so forces showing side often but low tier players do not punish that too much.

I have the 5, 6 and 7. Of those I have only played the Tier 7. After a dozen or so games in the Lyon I can say that it is broken as fuck. Against BB's it is about average do to the small size of its guns. Up close they will devastate any broadside BB, but at long range or with proper angling other BB's with laugh at you.

Where it really shines is its ability to just straight up delete cruisers. If an enemy cruiser is broadside to you and you have properly aimed for a good "center of mass" shot the 16 guns pretty much ensure that you will be able to remove 75%+ of any cruisers HP in a single salvo. In one 100ish second span in one of my battles I deleted cruisers that each had better then 90% of their HP remaining. Having 16 guns virtually guarantees that you will be able to get 1 -3 citadel hits on any broadside cruiser at almost any range as long as you have aimed correctly. Up close most BB's can do this, but the 16 gun shotgun pattern of the Lyon extends this ability out to the ships maximum firing range. Also, the shotgun is great for removing any DD that is dumb enough to get spotted within 10KM or so from you.