PlanetaryGenocide

IS-M - Is Serb > Murazor?

24 posts in this topic

I didn't find a thread for this tank so here goes.  I've only played a few games in it so far and I refused to play it stock because lol 175 pen in tier 10 games nice meme.

I'm not really going to go over the stats because you nerds can look it up yourself, I'm sort of looking for other people's thoughts and impressions on the tank itself.  Do you like it? hate it? think it's mediocre? Why?

Against tier 8's, it's hilariously good.  The side armor is too thick to be overmatched by anything and nominal thickness tends to negate the damage you get from HE spam (which has happened to me twice).  It's hard to over-angle when side-scraping since the extra T H I C C gives you a lot of wiggle room.  The curved shoulders on the front are pennable if whoever you're fighting can aim for them, but there's a sweet spot angle that lets you both hide the shoulders and still poke your gun out around the corner, while bouncing everything that doesn't have 270+ pen.  Turret is pretty strong and can bounce some crazy shots, and the single weakspot (the cupola) is so flat and tiny that hitting it is more dependent on prayers to RNG than on careful aiming.  You can pretty much ignore any tier 7's or 6's that aren't derp guns or behind you - I've had full side-on shots get bounced before from tier 7 heavies and the like, so even if you're in the open just angle yourself a bit and you're p much good to go against lower tiers.  This was my first match in it and all I did for 80% of the game was sidescrape off a building across the bridge in the south:

unknown.png

In tier 9s, it's... okay.  Against dumber players in 9's you'll generally have no problem baiting shots into angled side armor - the lower plate, of course, is butter, and anyone who knows to aim for the shoulders will ruin your shit and probably set you on fire, but the tank is new enough that it's not a huge issue yet.  Otherwise, I generally found success by watching the flanks for our bigger guns in brawling zones and bullying lower tier heavies or keeping higher tier heavies constantly turning their guns to deal with me.  

Tier 10s are generally crap but that's standard tier 8 tank matchmaking for you.  At least there's 7 tier 8 tanks on the enemy team to beat up on.  I don't have a real strategy for this yet since the thing is too slow to face off against mediums and the armor doesn't work against most tier 10 guns unless you're lucky or the enemies are bad - generally I just play it the same way I do in tier 9s, but with a more conservative and cautious approach.

My main gripe with it is that the mobility is a little low - but I guess that's expected with the amount of armor it has.  It generally does reach its top speed on hard terrain (which is like, 35kmh i think) but you won't be keeping up with mediums or anything.  Oddly enough I haven't gotten shot enough to get set on fire a whole bunch yet, and while the gun depression is as bad as expected I knew what i was signing up for with a rear-turreted tank.

For crew skills, I don't have them memorized right now but I have a fairly new crew in this - I think it's Sixth/snap/ORD/safe and then working on repairs.  Equipment loadout is Rammer/Vstab/Vents, I carry 20 AP/8 APCR/2 HE, standard consumable loadout of medkit/rep kit/AFE.

Oh, and for the past week I had two 1500+ base xp games and that wasn't enough for an Ace.  Fun stuff, clearly people out there are having a lot of success with it so far.  

What do you guys suggest for crew skills in the future after BiA and repairs?  I chose ORD just so I can get to the brawl slightly faster, but would clutch braking be a better choice?  Does it get set on fire frontally often enough to make taking Preventative Maintenance an option?

How do you tend to play it in heavily tier 10 matches, or on maps where the gun depression or lack of hard cover works against you?

e: lmao 504 error when I tried to post - now I understand how people keep double, triple, or even quadposting their new threads.  RIP :(

1 hour ago, hiipanda said:

Title: Is-Murazor- A better kv4 or Is Serb > Murazor?

They all work, but man Gehaktes going to be salty at you.

With the caveat that all my experience with Chrysler GF's is shooting them - Against 8s their armor is equally effective (although the Chrysler's frontal armor is thicker - They both have to roll average or above on AP pen to go through the other's LFP, but the IS-M has 14 more pen) - against 9s and up their armor is equally ineffective.

While the IS-M has more pen, more alpha, and only 1.5s-ish longer reload, the Chrysler doesn't have those mega-gay shoulder weakspots that you have to go to a lot of effort to hide..

so really, it seems like a tossup.  Maybe someone who has actually played both tanks on the live server can chime in on this one?

Got it unlocked, but i dont dare putitng my ghetto IS crew in it (50% first skill, so need 6e sense first)

It seems to be ok, based on paper stats, how it does in practice, dunno, rear turret tanks are a bit hit or miss, not much in between

https://tanks.gg/v0922ct2/tank/is-m/stats?cs=chrysler-gf&cv=v0922ct2&vm=live

Hard to overstate how much better the Chrysler handles compared to the IS-M. The fact that they have similar armor profiles speaks volumes about how utterly broken the Chrysler actually is. 

GF's gun is significantly more comfortable/reliable outside brawling range, more than enough to compensate for the decrease in alpha/dpm.

Last but not least the Chrysler gets significantly better viewrange and bettter gun depression.

IS-M is good, GF is retarded. my2c

5 hours ago, ogremage said:

How good would it be for HT-12-4? Better or worse than the VK 100.01 P?

just for fun, I want to point out that I'm pretty sure I would've completed HT-12.4 with the posted end of game card :D

Anyways, right now, given how new it is, I'd say better - The VK100.01P holds up better against higher tiers but most people know to either shoot the LFP or the giant fucking "shoot me" button on the turret.  The LFP is much easier to hide on the IS-M because lol sidescraping and not many pubbies have figured out the trick about shooting the curved shoulders yet.  It might hold up as time goes on, too - the weakspots are easier to hide on the IS-M and you can turn the turret faster so it's harder to get a good shot off at the tiny-ass hatch or the turret cheeks (which are also tiny)

You have a much better chance of doing it as top tier, of course, but it's not impossible.  There's also the fact that you also have to do damage - the IS-M has slightly higher DPM and you should be in situations where you're firing your gun every chance you get.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:54 AM, Sapros said:

https://tanks.gg/v0922ct2/tank/is-m/stats?cs=chrysler-gf&cv=v0922ct2&vm=live

Hard to overstate how much better the Chrysler handles compared to the IS-M. The fact that they have similar armor profiles speaks volumes about how utterly broken the Chrysler actually is. 

GF's gun is significantly more comfortable/reliable outside brawling range, more than enough to compensate for the decrease in alpha/dpm.

Last but not least the Chrysler gets significantly better viewrange and bettter gun depression.

IS-M is good, GF is retarded. my2c

The reason I ask is that I get unreal arty focus in my Chrysler and yoloed by Tier 10s all the time for being in a Chrysler, and I was wondering if the IS-M had it any better.

3 minutes ago, lavawing said:

The reason I ask is that I get unreal arty focus in my Chrysler and yoloed by Tier 10s all the time for being in a Chrysler, and I was wondering if the IS-M had it any better.

Well, the IS-M doesn't have a reputation with dumb pubbies as an "OP premium" sooo

I've never been yolo'd in it unexpectedly, it's always been times where yoloing me was the right thing to do (overextended, team left while I was up front, etc)

2 minutes ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

Well, the IS-M doesn't have a reputation with dumb pubbies as an "OP premium" sooo

I've never been yolo'd in it unexpectedly, it's always been times where yoloing me was the right thing to do (overextended, team left while I was up front, etc)

Jg E100 behind me and a T95 that's just pushing out of cover. A friendly Maus is just in front of me. Enemy E5: gotta yolo that sidescraping Chrysler. #feelsbadman
It's shit like this that makes me not want to play my Chrysler any more. The M4 49 is just mediocre and shit in Tier 10 matchups. 

Am I the only one who thinks this is a very good tank (if not amazing) ?

Probably not.  It's pretty similar to the Defender in terms of where it sits in the meta/tier list, I think - hilariously good in its tier, serviceable in +1, mediocre-to-garbage in tier 10s.  I would have kept it, but I needed the credits to get the 705 and I don't have a crew for it even if I did have the credits.

The only downside is tier 8 matchmaking and the shoulders on the front being hard to hide, though the side armor means that overangling while sidescraping is a little harder to do since it is possible to get an angle where you can shoot, sidescrape, and hide the front shoulders behind the corner all at the same time against tier 8s and most non-TD 9s

Is this one of those decent stronghold tanks? Cause I've got a great 5 skill crew for this tank.

6 hours ago, crapcannon said:

Is this one of those decent stronghold tanks? Cause I've got a great 5 skill crew for this tank.

In my experience playing against it, no it isn't. The only decent SH heavy tanks are those premium tanks ie. Defender, Patriot, Liberte and perhaps the IS-5.

Wonder why they arent doing anymore tier 8 campaigns? Cos they would be pay to win:gachi:

IS-M is too slow to be of use in organised battles.

It is however a fucking stupid tank. I turn off my brain to play it because its so slow. Its ability to bounce things is fucking retarded. 

Also its reload is lol. I've turned off my brain and have an absolutely trash crew, and I've still being doing decent in it, even with my 0 damage DCed games. 

Finished the grind on this bad boy after 50games. One of the strongest T8 HT atm.. Easely competing in IS-3 territory. 

What i love about this tank is that sidescraping works just as well against T8 or T10. Some corner with a slight bump or a broken building where you cheeks are hidden even more are just godlike. 

2.4kDPG is one of my best DPG in a T8 HT(if not my best)

tkQQBu3.png

I actually kind of think it's a keeper tank. At tier 8 i never thought i would say that again.. 

On 4/1/2018 at 7:46 PM, PlanetaryGenocide said:

I'll be honest, I've considered re-buying it and trying to do HT-15.3 with it

I've never owned it, but I found VK 100.01 P simply too painful and would consider buying this thing if the armor is as troll as it appears to be.

You drive forward into things. If something looks like it can pen you, ram a rock with your front and show only your side at a stupid angle.

Congrats you have successfully IS-M'd.

Playing this tank is almost as brainless as playing the Japanese Heavies.