Sign in to follow this  
SmurfReroll

Ranked Battles Tank Choices

20 posts in this topic

The ranked battle meta seems to drastically favour slower play compared to normal Random Battles, which means that typical pubstomping tanks don't work as well as expected. With that being the case, what are your thoughts on tanks which are better suited for Ranked? 

Personally, I feel that superheavies, especially Type 5s, end up being fairly dominant despite the gold spam simply because they can outlast their opponents in the typical face-punching camp off that ends up happening. 

Thoughts? 

Wasn't there just a post on this, or was it a status update?

I recall that @dualmaster333 recommended beefy high alpha heavies. The argument being that people are good enough to pen you reliably. So, big alpha and HP pools help ensure that you get out enough damage for chevrons. That advice seems very sound to me. 

Personally, I've had the best luck using the WZ-111 5A, but I don't have a Type 5 or a VK 72.01 and I'm not bringing an E100 turret face into a gold slinging shit show. I'd initial started playing a few ranked battles in the Object 430U, but I'm getting much better consistency with the higher alpha and HP of the 5A.  That would seem to anecdotally back up @dualmaster333's opinion.

5 minutes ago, monjardin said:

Wasn't there just a post on this, or was it a status update?

Must've been an update I missed, somewhat sure there haven't been any posts about them. 

I've actually had a bit of luck with light tanks because on favourable maps, you can actually get away with being aggressive. 

I hate loosing lots of credits in ranked because I'm bad playing mediums and heavies (and I spam a lot of prem. rounds). Found out that E4 is a fairly good pick (not just for me but for other players too, judging by result screens).
Usually I don't enjoy playing TDs anymore, but with E4 I just play second line, heavy/support role. You actually bounce quite a bit if you wiggle and there is almost no need for prem. rounds (and if there is, you have great one).
So I can actually make like 30k + credits on good games. And you only need to connect a few shots to be near the top.

Currentlyranked battles 60% of the time result in both teams forming a lemming train that rushes one, the result being either than boith teams meet on the same flank (in which case they will spam gold at each others faces for 10 minutes) or they will go on different flanks resulting in a massive campfest for the next 12 minutes.

In 25% Only one team forms a train and either wins if they are smart enough to push their flank hard or loseif they are a bunch of wankers (and due to the chevron system noone wants to be the one at the frontline...)

in 15% of the battles everything is basically like randoms but with massive goldspam.

Basically you want something mobile with a turret that is somewhat resistant against gold and maybe also a decent upper plate.

In any case, this would be my personal list for tanks to play in ranked in order:

Object-907 (if you want to play a medium, broken tank is broken)

WZ-111 model 5a (mobile, alpha + dpm, armor when hulldown)

Super Conquerer (armor, DPM, just use your gundepression to hide the cupola from the heatspam)

Object 430U/113 (armor, mobility and alpha)

Centurion AX/Patton (if you are a depressed medium player)

Object 140 (if you don't have any of the other listed mediums)

Superheavies don't work as they are too slow to move with the lemmings and they will get heatspammed to death as soon as they show their turretfaces.

TDs are shit because they generally have no turret and are only good for sniping or are slow as fuck.

268 V4 can do some work but it is more effective at ruining the days of tier 8 players than it is against a bucnh of tier 10 gold spamers.

Lights suck in general and unless the map is lakeville your spotting is mostly useless.

Arty: Basically a cointoss wether you win or lose and due to the shitty XP-gain of artillery you will end up losing more chevrons than you gain.

I originally started off with the 907 and STB. 907 because its a 907 and STB because its my fav tank and I know it inside and out. However, i got sick of the 907s more derpy gun handling, and the STB doesn't have the survivability to contest in all maps, especially against all the superheavies.

So i ended up switching to playing the E5 and 140. I dont have a super conquerer, but the E5 is still the E5. I play the E5 as a medium in most cases so Its seriously good at stomping face out in medium flanks, its got the survivability, the ability to push, and the comfort gun handling.

As I stated in a status update the other day, I much prefer the 140 to the 907, and its been much more reliable for me than the 907 is.

I managed to easily make it to rank 7 alternating these two tanks after being super stuck in rank 2/3. (Im only able to play an hour of ranked a day because I have to go to work an hour after it starts qq)

I've had my best performances and all of my 2-chevron wins in the 111-5a, although I've worn the ink off of the 2 key doing it.  That DPM plus turret combination just works really well unless facing Super Conq and getting my hatches molested by its gun depression.

Personally Super Conq is by far the absolute best tank for ranked. Superior gun handling, DPM, turret armour, depression and ability to sidescrape is all you need in a mode where the gameplay is more coherent and organized. (People don't solo play and stick with their team). You can hold chokepoints, push into things and the gameplay is campy enough at higher tiers that the mobility is rarely a problem. The reason for it is that no matter the map you won't get shafted. SConq is as close to 2013 E 50M and 2016 E5 as it gets right now which is why it's the best. You're never useless, and rarely outperformed in basically any situation due to your gun. Considering that you'll spend most of your time fighting actually good tier 10s make solid armour that won't get penned much more useful because regardless of the tank it's hard to fight back against you. There's also much less arty so digging yourself in doesn't hurt you nearly as much either. 

Ranked Battles are all about XP and not DPG. This means winning is ultimately the best way to efficiently move up the ranks. The thing is that the Super Conq is very, very good at both so not only is it much easier to top the charts on a winning team, but a losing team as well since digging yourself in at range makes you just ridiculously hard to push. 

Then again I'm playing AP only shitbarn and have yet to have a game where I haven't recieved a chevron yet :doge: 

I'm going to try the 430U with a healthy dosage of HEAT, mobility, bouncy turret, bouncy upper plate, decent alpha, DPM and gun handling plus 340 HEAT pen memes. 

Pretty easy to tell from looking at high ranks, per side its something like 8x SConq, 3xWZ 5A, 3x 907, 1x 430U. Occasionally even a 268v4

I've actually done all right with the 13-105, reached rank 6 pretty much thanks to that tank, despite having an overall 40% win rate in ranked so far (great teams I have ended up on), might switch to the Bat Chat going forward. 

Spotting, kill stealing due to the clip, and being able to run away from failing flanks, plus the late game ability to clip stuff I have fund very useful. 

Climbed to rank 13 with batchat and 13-105. Maybe not optimal but funnier than heavies/other meds whose main role in ranked is just sit hull down brawling and spamming gold each others turrets. Of course like half of maps there is no room for scouting but other half those tanks offer something normal meds cannot do with speed/vision.

Bough also couple pieces of improved equipment on batchat, 520m vision range is pretty nice on open maps. T100LT still best for pure scouting but firepower is soo lacking in city maps, 13-105 is nice compromise, can clip pretty well but still works like scout too.

Also intrestingly at least last night seemed there was almost zero scouts playing higher ranks. Had to wait couple mins in queue to get match with scout. Maybe because scout experience received seems to be pretty bad overall. There are some hidden mechanisms with exp gains, after playing lot of scouts its clear its not only spots and damage which effect. Even games with like 1.5k damage, 3k spot assist are only around middle of teams exp earned. Whereas some IS7 or super-conqueror with sub-1k damage, zero assist, zero spots etc can end top 5.

Fuck it:

LeBwa: Ranked battles and experience earned. Explain to us why some people with 0 dmg and 0 assist earn more than those who’ve contributed something.

A. Beleckii: There are a lot of other factors: first spots give quite a bit of exp and also battle activity(e.g. Player is driving around and there are shells flying past him and etc, it’s a very complicated algorithm and varies per battle and we cannot say something that will be applied to EVERY battle. We admit earned exp is not the most ideal metric but it’s the best one we’ve got.

Vspishka: Why not use an algorithm similar to hall of fame? Where it calculates points depending on the type of tank a player is playing and etc. Why not apply it or at least test it?

A. Beleckii: This metric is not live, takes some time to calculate it. When we can count it live - we might give it a try. Vspishka: Can we have a log of experience earned live in battle (like in WoWs) or in the after battle report?

A. Beleckii: Exp earned doesn’t depend just on you but on players around you, and enemy team as well and it won’t really help anyone. E.g. if a player is sitting in a bush and out of nowhere he gets 50 exp - he will start to think why he got it and how can he get more instead of doing what he was doing.

A. Pankov: To summarize - we will think about reworking the rating system in ranked battles and we will think about being more transparent about the exp earned.

TLDR: WG are aware they earned exp is not the best factor in ranked battles but it’s the best they have. Once they can calculate hall of fame points in live - they will try to use it in ranked battles.

I bet there is something stupid like, you get experience just by being close some friendly tank doing damage or something.

8 hours ago, sahtila said:

Fuck it:

I bet there is something stupid like, you get experience just by being close some friendly tank doing damage or something.

Yes, but only if you hold down both A and D at the same time.