Sign in to follow this  
EricBrogar

r9 270x to 1050 ti

16 posts in this topic

Hey everybody,

I'm currently running a R9 270x, but the card is near its end of life cicle and needs to be replaced, because it is damaged.

Since I am a bit tight on money at the moment (bought a car and sofa) I was thinking to get a 1050 ti (4gb) until the mining market allows me to buy something better.

Do you guys think this will run relatively smooth with wot 1.0?

At the moment I run 9.22 on max settings, appart vom AA and max shadows (don't like them) and run with aroung 80 - 100 fps. (current setup see below)

My goal is not to buy a super high end graphics card. I just want to play the game with at least comparable settings, with the same amount of frames. I was looking for the 1050 ti, because its 150-170 euros, depending on the currents rates here and there. I can spend up to 180 Euros, 200 would put me in a tight spot.

Apart from that I need to work with my computer, so the option to "wait a bit" is invalid and i need a replacement relatively soon.

Regards

EricBrogar!

/Edit: Forgot: I only play at 1080p

Current setup:

CPU: AMD FX 8320

RAM: 8 GB

GPU: AMX R9 270X

The 1050Ti should be considerably faster than the 270X.

If the WoT Encore benchmark is usefull, you should have no problem at 1080p with WoT 1.0. The FX8320 is the bigger question in my book.

Updating the CPU would most likely result in a full platform upgrade. It is an AM3+ CPU and getting a new CPU (i.e. Ryzen) would result in new RAM, new CPU, ner Cooler. That would be something to get in a couple of month maybe :)

I read, that the 270x and the 1050ti would perform "alike". Does the extra 2GB of vram make that much of a difference?

35 minutes ago, EricBrogar said:

Does the extra 2GB of vram make that much of a difference?

With GPU intensive games, yes. With WOT at 1080p, probably not a huge difference. But, games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc. the VRam will help

7 hours ago, EricBrogar said:

Thank you for your input. I guess I will order then. Unless the mining boom stops over night :-)

Would it be possible for you to wait until the next 3 - 4 months?

Have you downloaded the test server and checked how it actually runs with your current card? It should run pretty much the same as with the old engine, and I wouldn't be suprised if your CPU is the actual bottleneck here.

11 hours ago, MAJEST1C said:

Would it be possible for you to wait until the next 3 - 4 months?

Sadly, no. I still need to work :)

9 hours ago, breeeze said:

Have you downloaded the test server and checked how it actually runs with your current card? It should run pretty much the same as with the old engine, and I wouldn't be suprised if your CPU is the actual bottleneck here.

I did not, but I was using the Encore test system recently. With my 270x i had around 6000 Points on Ultra, iirc.

/edit: Might be, but the CPU is still working, the graphics card not so much ;-)

If the GPU is artifacting or does odd things, google the 'oven trick'. I've resurrected a few cards using it but if you do it:

1) make sure you understand the directions (are the in degrees C or in F?)

2) set the TIMER so you dont leave it in too long

What this does is melt and reflow the solder on the card, fixing any micro cracks in the connections

Oven Trick

SO, the 1050 ti arrived today and I ran the Encore "Benchmark".

OLD (270x) Ultra all on: 7342

OLD (270x) AA off: 8992

NEW(1050ti) Ultra all on: 9764

NEW(1050ti) AA off: 12322

19 minutes ago, EricBrogar said:

SO, the 1050 ti arrived today and I ran the Encore "Benchmark".

OLD (270x) Ultra all on: 7342

OLD (270x) AA off: 8992

NEW(1050ti) Ultra all on: 9764

NEW(1050ti) AA off: 12322

As I said - a significant performance boost.

Thx for giving us feedback - that helps other users with similar "problems".

Swap to Ryzen+ or CoffeeLake down the line and you 'll get an other one. My 3770K @ 5GHz together with a GTX970 (~GTX1060) running on a 5 year old Win7 installation achieves ~16.5K points at ultra (1080p).

i have same card, same cpu and same amount odf ram. i play at 60fps, never goes higher, but rarely drops. is there a setting thats ticked that means it wont go above 60fps?!

thanks, ill have a look laer. just got from rank 5 to 8 in straight games playing amx 13105. lol. need to quit while ahead.

So, I wanted to share my 1.0 FPS experience.

I currently run the game on ULTRA and, only the shadows on medium and object LOD on once below max and i get 80 - 100 frames. Under harsh conditions when 10 or more tanks are displayed it sometimes goes down to 75 FPS. This is very nice, i must state. The CPU is by no way a bottleneck, as @Folterknecht feared it to be. My CPU rarely goes over 17 - 20% of load, even with havoc enabled.

So long: Thanks for all your help :)

PS: I sold my broken 270x for ~80 Euros. Geez, even though i made it perfectly clear it does not work anymore. Well .. :)