Sign in to follow this  
kunjuro

Tiger I in winter whitewash (1/35 Academy)

6 posts in this topic

Hey folks. Still waiting for patch 1.0 to make/break the game.  Played a few matches with the T-10M since the patch, found out that I'm still a bad scrub, and moved on to something else.

Anyway, here's my progress on a Tiger I in 1/35 by Academy. I took a previously built kit of mine and practiced doing winter whitewash via hairspray technique. Also used vallejo's snow effects for the first time. Going to paint my nearly finished Leningrad Tiger I soon - so this is warmup practice for that. Hope you folks like it.  Constructive criticism and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!

t0tu52C.jpg

eQGEWLE.jpg

FnmE6E5.jpg

4WiPK6s.jpg

F2ZXDXH.jpg

xfmlP0G.jpg

S7J6BVf.jpg

ah3n7uq.jpg

Nice work, looks good for my taste but since you asked criticism few points that caught my eye. That whitewash is way too perfect and well applied imo, looks almost like the camo has worn of showing grey primer underneath, specially on that low quarter front pic. This could be a photo issue too, photographing model is a pain in the ass... Technically it looks like job well done tho, I like it. Second point is tracks, more presice the snow on tracks. It looks odd to have just patches of snow inside the tracks, it's either covered with snow or polished shiny by track movement against roadwheels. 

Can't wait to see that another Tiger!

On 3/21/2018 at 5:06 AM, Ruuhkis said:

Nice work, looks good for my taste but since you asked criticism few points that caught my eye. That whitewash is way too perfect and well applied imo, looks almost like the camo has worn of showing grey primer underneath, specially on that low quarter front pic. This could be a photo issue too, photographing model is a pain in the ass... Technically it looks like job well done tho, I like it. Second point is tracks, more presice the snow on tracks. It looks odd to have just patches of snow inside the tracks, it's either covered with snow or polished shiny by track movement against roadwheels. 

Can't wait to see that another Tiger!

Thanks for all of your feedback folks :) Really appreciate it.

@Ruuhkis - thanks for the pointers. I actually made a mistake with the color of the white wash - the first time I applied it I added enough buff paint to tone it down to a dirty color. When I added the second coat however, I didn't add as much so it looks a bit cleaner than it should be. Which part of the tank shows some grey primer? I applied the whitewash over a two tone dark yellow + red brown camo. I think that might be my inexperience with photography showing haha. Thanks for pointing out the snow n the tracks too. I got a bit carried away applying that. I'll shave off a bit on the parts where the wheels pass through. Also need to apply some dark steel pigments on the parts that often rub together and peel off the paint like the drive sprocket. 

Hard to explain since I'm not native English speaker but what I meant with that grey primer is this. Your winter white wash is so neatly applied that it looks, in few photos, that camo pattern is applied over the whitewash and then worn off making your whitewash look as basecoat and not the other way round. 3rd picture in particular looks to me like camo has worn off revealing grey layer underneath it. There is no actual primer shoving through, just the way my eye "judges" your paintjob. 

But like said, still liking the overall look of the model.

Sign in to follow this