Copeyhagen

R9 270x dead??

17 posts in this topic

Was playing wot last night, computer made weird electronic noise and game crashed. Had to turn off and on and when I did I got no display. Took case apart today and cleaned it out, moved card to other PCI slot, and I got the attached screen. 

I recently updated the driver's few days ago and I also installed a new game last night.

Could that be software related or does it look like a hardware issue? I tried different hdmi lead also

Current setup:

CPU: AMD FX 8320

RAM: 8 GB

GPU: AMX R9 270X

IMG_20180314_191613.jpg

I can't get the screen to read anything now, monitor jumps from hdmi to analog constantly and screen stays black

I'll try that first cheer, with the sound it made when it crashed last night I'm guessing it's not the monitor though

Have you tried to boot into safe mode? That may rule out an epic driver crash. If you can get it to boot into safe mode with no issues, download AMDcleanup utility. That will wipe everything AMD related on your PC. TBH, the fact you heard a "weird electronic noise"  sounds like one of your components has been ammo racked :-(. I had screen tearing like that a while back on a 7970 and was told the Vram on the card was the problem.

Well first thing's first.

Boot up without the card. See if issue persists. If not, then rollback the drivers and put the card back in.
If it doesn't work, I'd be almost certain the card is dead. If not it would be the PCI-E, which I doubt.

Don't think the mobo has display adaptor. 

Got it into safe mode once yesterday but wouldn't allow me to roll back drivers in device manager. Everyone I tried booting the computer after, I get post, then single beep but monitor just jumps from hdmi to analog, like it's not picking a signal up from the card. I'm in work now but I'll try boot into safe mode with networking later. 

Stupid question, but if I get there again and delete the current driver, will the card not be picked up by system and I'll be without display altogether?!

Cheers dudes, originally I thought 100% hardware, but the fact I had only just upgraded the driver is a bit coincidental. I also don't update drivers often, so was on a year or two oldone.

I'm on windows 7 also.

Thanks again, Rob

Fucked up images likes yours arn't usually related to driver problems. Driver problems usually result in instable applications/system and faulty images in a certain application(s), but NOT in fucked up images everywhere. The later is a typical indication for faulty hardware.

What can be misleading is a instable PSU that triggers crashes and reboots when put under a certain load even during driver installation, when the GPU switches from 2D clocks to 3D clocks (higher load). But that happens relative seldom and probably not the case here. Mangled images arn't usually part of the symptoms there.

1 hour ago, Copeyhagen said:

Think the PSU is a Corsair 600w. About 2 years old

As I said - very unlikely, though Corsiars budget PSUs arn't the best ones out there. Their highend offerings are a different topic (very good usually).

Do the cross testing thing first.

Its a cx600m 

I don't have another machine to try the GPU. And the mobo (Asus m5a97 R2) doesn't have a display port.

F12 is just bringing me to startup repair, can't get it to boot into safe mode prompt

If I select start windows normally, I get splash screen then screen goes black before login appears

9 times out of ten it's just a black screen.

Tried different PCI port, different 6 pin power lead, resetting the CMOS. Nothing.ight bring it to a shop beside me in work, get them to test it. They repair laptops etc. 

If it's toast, the first thing I'd do is try the 'oven trick' (google it). I've resurrected 2 cards using it.

20 hours ago, Gryphon_ said:

If it's toast, the first thing I'd do is try the 'oven trick' (google it). I've resurrected 2 cards using it.

If you're going for the oven trick, do use caution as some people claim that it releases toxic chemicals into your oven making it unsafe to cook food in after.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:37 PM, Sipher351 said:

If you're going for the oven trick, do use caution as some people claim that it releases toxic chemicals into your oven making it unsafe to cook food in after.

"WARNING: Products with exposed solder may contain lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm..."

Finally the warning sort of makes sense.