10 posts in this topic

So I dug back and didn't see an SU-100 thread, at least not for the last couple of years.  So I figured I'd start one.  I know tier 6 tanks don't get a lot of discussion time, but given the recent back-and-forth I had with @Archaic_Oneone in the JPIV thread over that tank vs. this one, I wanted to go back and give this thing another try.  And I have to say it's pretty damned fun.  If you're top tier, it can be ridiculous - you can one-shot about half the tier 4 tanks you'll meet (arty, tds, scouts) pretty easily, and you have excellent camo and mobility to go with it.  I'm not saying it's a great tank, but it's a good tank, and it's quite a blast to play, especially with a decent crew.  I don't think it really plays well as an assault gun unless you are top tier in a +2 match, b/c you have a fairly long reload, and you need to stay just a bit back from the front lines.

I run with the 122mm, binos, camo net, rammer.  It's great in the end game b/c of the alpha and mobility.

Also, this is (IIRC) the fastest I've two-marked a tank (153 games):

ZOcZI1D.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good support tank. A 122 at tier 6 is now special since the removal of the KV-1S, and it has decent ROF and camo.

The low HP pool and lack of armor mean you can't be that aggressive though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to do the "deal x5 own HP dmg" in it while grinding through it. Supposedly, it is a good tank for that. I came somewhat close a few times, but it never felt like an easy thing so I sold mine (and did the mission in Hellcat on one of the first tries).

I mean, it's fine, but the gun is derpy enough and the platform turretless enough that it never was a pleasant tank to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 2:11 AM, Tanager said:

So I dug back and didn't see an SU-100 thread, at least not for the last couple of years.  So I figured I'd start one.  I know tier 6 tanks don't get a lot of discussion time, but given the recent back-and-forth I had with @Archaic_Oneone in the JPIV thread over that tank vs. this one, I wanted to go back and give this thing another try.  And I have to say it's pretty damned fun.  If you're top tier, it can be ridiculous - you can one-shot about half the tier 4 tanks you'll meet (arty, tds, scouts) pretty easily, and you have excellent camo and mobility to go with it.  I'm not saying it's a great tank, but it's a good tank, and it's quite a blast to play, especially with a decent crew.  I don't think it really plays well as an assault gun unless you are top tier in a +2 match, b/c you have a fairly long reload, and you need to stay just a bit back from the front lines.

I run with the 122mm, binos, camo net, rammer.  It's great in the end game b/c of the alpha and mobility.

Also, this is (IIRC) the fastest I've two-marked a tank (153 games):

ZOcZI1D.png

Drop the camo net for GLD. Faster aiming is better than getting good camo in some rare situations. Camo net is useless for anything thats not a strv and maybe some turreted td

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

Drop the camo net for GLD. Faster aiming is better than getting good camo in some rare situations. Camo net is useless for anything thats not a strv and maybe some turreted td

GLD or vents?  I've got a 3-skill BIA crew in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tanager said:

GLD or vents?  I've got a 3-skill BIA crew in this.

GLD on tanks with aiming time of 2.9 and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is just something glorious about blind shooting 122mm HE at likely bushes hiding a tier 4-5 tank and seeing a darkened tank indicator appear in the bush.  All turretless TDs are pretty much crap to play in this meta, but the SU-100 is at least good for lols and it has a gun that is somewhat relevant when bottom tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

There is just something glorious about blind shooting 122mm HE at likely bushes hiding a tier 4-5 tank and seeing a darkened tank indicator appear in the bush.  All turretless TDs are pretty much crap to play in this meta, but the SU-100 is at least good for lols and it has a gun that is somewhat relevant when bottom tier.

T6's tds are good because at t6 the vision meta is kinda working. Plus 122 mens you can trade and still get great results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the SU-100 being a lot of fun with the big gun. A bit of HEAT and that big HE shell makes a lot of tanks shy about pushing the flank against you. (It's on my short list with the 30% off sale making me consider buying back some garage fillers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.