Sign in to follow this  
JMak97008

Dead XFX R9 280X

8 posts in this topic

Several weeks ago I was playing WoT and ended up with a green screen, yellow screen, and a blue screen (non-bsod).  Couple of hard resets sorted the issue...until last week when I saw these weird characters spread across the screen looking like that old video game Centipede.  Restarted and saw two vertical blue bands at startup followed by a black screen.  Subsequent restarts did not fix the issue.  I did get to a point where I downloaded a new amd driver and was able to use the PC and even play wot for an evening.  The next night, the same issue had returned, this time, though, with multiple vertical green bands...although the pc let me boot into the bios, as soon as I exited the bios, got the blue bands and then the black screen.

This card has been awesome for me and when paired with my oc'd 4690k (4.5k on air), ran WoT really well (90fps on mostly maxed settings).  So, I'm pretty bummed this card has gone kaput.  Although, a glimmer of hope...the card I have is a Double Dissipation version which appears to have a longer warranty and I may still be in that warranty period.  

Meanwhile, I've been looking at replacements...omg.  It's a rough market out there.  I've looked at 1050s, 970s, even a GTX 690, but I'm far out of this game...  Anyone have any tips, suggestions about used cards to replace this 280X? I'd really appreciate some help.  In addition to the 4690k, I've got an EVGA G2 650 PSU (custom cables that are 8 + 6 pin) and lots of room in the case.  I only play Wot and would like something to run at least Medium on the new engine and hopefully on Ultra.  Price is around $200.

For example - there's a guy nearby who is selling a EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ for $200 that I think I want to grab...but not so sure.

Thanks in advance...

Just to make sure - did you test with the iGPU of your CPU to make sure the monitor is ok?

That aside, I strongly suggest that you use the warrenty. The current GPU market (incl. used parts) suffers from totally inflated prices. You might get lucky and XFX will send you a better card as a replacement (the 280X being very old by now ...).

200$ for a used 970 ... *sigh

4 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

200$ for a used 970 ... *sigh

I got 50 euros for a broken R9 290X reference and 260 euro for a working one:kappa:.

The GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 ti do well in WoT 1.0 and WoT enCore at 1920x1080.

http://cbgamesandhardware.blogspot.com/2018/03/wot-encore-vs-wot-10-common-test.html

If you can find a GTX 1060 ti or GTX 970 for under $200 it may be your best bet.  The 1050 ti will have a warranty though.

EVGA has this factory refurbished one available now for $184.99.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6255-RX

My r9 270 dies last week. Picked up a 1050ti for 180euro yesterday. Cheapest I could find. Prices are gone silly in europe

On 3/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, Copeyhagen said:

My r9 270 dies last week. Picked up a 1050ti for 180euro yesterday. Cheapest I could find. Prices are gone silly in europe

new or what? i've bought on amazon pretty good used 970 for 200€+shipping not even a month ago.

Sign in to follow this