Sign in to follow this  
ZXrage

Glacier

20 posts in this topic

Dump your frustrations and discussions of the map here.

Went into a training room before my first match, ended up not using much info since that first match was in the S1 lol

On two different occasions in a training room somebody managed to kill themselves in the crevasse in the middle of the map . . . I have not gotten it in a game, but I watched my son play a game on it.  Looks like a thin sliver of playable map around perimeter with a giant no-go death zone in middle.  Kind of like if Elsa from frozen decided to combine El Halluf with Nebelburg.

Not got it yet either but reminds me of an extreme version of Highway, like if they took Highway, removed the little cover in the middle of the map, flattened it, put more raised areas with bushes round the middle and called it a day.

From what I have heard it's basically brawl in ship bit, or camp on the edges. 

I've only gotten it in low tier scouts.  I haven't gone to the ships yet, dunno what that part of the map is like.  It's by no means the worst map ever.

How many shots does the ice needs before it breaks?

(tried to shoot a few into it while driving by it, nothing happened...)

Only gotten it once in two sessions.

Went in a training room yesterday and derped around for 25 min ish..

Here is a copy of the glacier minimap.

dQbvx4U.jpg

Below are my first impressions on what I plan on trying for in LTs for now, and what happened in my first game on it.  Far from a "meta analysis" but maybe its helpful

in the early weeks/months of the map being out.

VHx23tu.jpg

The game I was in went down like the red arrows.. TDs and heavies stuck around the outside ring. A group of heavies went north east to fight in that corridor.

Several of their tanks(mix of heavies, MTs and TDs) went down the 9/0 line. I went along the road in K line around the SW corner, got caught out by proxy spotting a higher tier LT and then got killed.

There are a lot of trees on the SW coner and even 500+m VR did NOT spot them until I was too close to disengage. If I think the south needs spotting I think I'll try going to the marked spots.

The rest of the obvious vision control locations are right along the A1 to K0 diagonal line.  They pretty much drew a line of cover across there, There is some hard cover and hills you can duck in and out of but otherwise very exposed. 

I'm interested to see what other people experience in this map, and it will be interesting to see as the meta settles how the strategy evolves.

I just got it for the first time in a T-44, tier 9 game, so will give my opinion for what it's worth.

I went south from north spawn along the 0-line. I had early shots on a T54-lwt and a Charioteer that poked the middle (the former was around F6, and it took him a long time to get out of sight of my gun (hit him 3 times, but one was a bounce). Use of trees meant I could shoot him without getting spotted.

They didn't commit too many thanks this way, whereas we had 4, so quickly won the road at K-0. I then continued to around H5 which allowed me to spot and/or get flanking fire on any tanks remaining in the middle area, as well as their surviving heavies which won the north part of the map and were trying to push our cap. Solid win. To me it feels like the south would be more important, as even after winning the north, their heavies had little option but to push into spaces where they are vulnerable to getting shot in the rear if the south is lost. Given the south also has much better cover in general, I think a reverse of the situation isn't as strong, as it's probably easier to dig out the north corner than the south corner.

Really shit map in my opinion.

• Middle vision is too strong. Being able to spot people in base almost immediately was not good on Malinovka, and it's not good here. I held W and killed two guys trying to pick a flank on circle. Seems fair.
  • Camping near spawn is promoted. It's relatively easy to eventually dig out TDs trying it, but they can sit there farming until you clear out a path to them. You shouldnt be able to drive 50m from spawn and have agency over any attempted push on 2/3 of the flanks.
  • Huge map that's actually just three corridors if you aren't mobile enough to play mid. Corridors on huge maps especially suck, because you have no way of making an impact if you picked the wrong flank.

The map is bona fide trash

The North area is a simpleton's corridor, with 2-3 really big objects (for cover) in the area.  Also, the frozen aircraft carrier is deceptively useless, because all the angles of its runways leave one completely exposed if actually on top of them.  To me, the North area borders on complete uselessness.

The only playable part (for most tanks, i.e. non-scout worthy tanks that can play middle) is South.  And that is a narrow winding road that just produces sudden in-your-face engagements, with tons of trees and bush area for ppl to sit back and camp all game.  Like for literally the entire fucking game. 

Honestly, it's nearing Paris levels of shittiness, except this time it's somehow on an open map.  WG never ceases to impress on incompetence.

I've played it several times now, in the Obj 430, a Skoda and T-54 lw.

I've tried going north-west onto the ice in the obj, did not end well. No hulldown places and idiots on the carrier can mess up everything just by being there, even if you get to shoot them if they try to shoot you, they create the threat of crossfire, pinning you down. The spaces between cover are huge, making flanking impractical.

I've tried taking the ringroad both on the meds and light. It sort of works, until you get spotted crossing from cover to cover and three campers shoot you to hell. If that doesn't happen you can have a good game, but you are pretty far from the cap and the other side if you need to go back and defend.

Just now I tried taking the T-54 lw onto the middle, using active spotting and shooting when it was safe. That worked nicely, our campers and arty could shoot their campers, the people braving the middle to try to deal with me and even some people I could spot on the ringroad (or just below that). I could snipe onto the road at targets trying to dig out my guys there when I wasn't busy spotting. That netted me a pretty good game with 5k spotting and 2k damage. Two arty on each side, but they didn't focus on me, probably had other things to shoot and I stayed on the move when there was any chance of me getting spotted.

I'm still not sure how to play this map, but I also sort of agree with Orzy that the middle is good for spotting and messing up campers, at least while the map is still new and lots of people camp because they don't know where to go. 

Played 2 games on it. One in foch 155, one in 140.

Middle seems the place to go. The south is just one tiny thin mountain road not wide enough for more than single file, and anyone in a 268 V4 auto wins it because that tank is stupid. 

North is just flat ground with various rocks to play peekaboom with. No terrain to abuse. 

Middle has some hills and dips and some hard cover, which means its a good place for vision and map control but if you need to escape from being pushed out you're pretty fucked as its nothing but open ground on either side.

The map just seems bad in general. Its too open in everywhere, except the two tiny corridors in the north and south, but I need to play some more games on it to confirm.

The middle is OP as fuck for tanks with excellent gun depression. But don't go alone with 2-3 arty.

I actually really like this map. I always go up to the aircraft carrier in a light. No one else comes usually IDK why. Then I be a real nuisance for the heavies going around and you can also shoot meds and lights in the middle.
With heavy I just went and brawled with skill below the carrier. Or you can go around the other side and fight corner by corner to the enemy base. Meds same, play with vision on the other side.
I like maps I have to unlock them stage by stage and play with vision. Like this and prokhorovka. Makes you think what your next move should be to go a bit closer undetected or safe. Nothing like these pieces of shit like Fjords and Arctic region, sorry Mannerheim line.