Action

The Return of Camo Meta?

27 posts in this topic

So i dont know about you guys but all "open" maps i have played in the last 2 days seemed to have a lot more bushes and trees. Also bushes on new positions.

I, who plays a lot of lights for quite some time now, really like that. Sure, some situations might get a little more campy but at least the small tanks, most of the lights and the ones made out of paint and cardboard have their odds shifted a little more in their favours. IN my oppinion of course.

So what do you think?

As long as a T28 TD becomes invisible ~80m away from Type 64 I could not care less about those bushes. There is something funky going on with spotting atm.

The camo meta was as worse as the corridor meta, they have just made some maps super base campy. IMO that is not fun for lights because in some of those spots (like the corners of Erlenberg) you are not going to outspot those TDs, especially as most bobs playing them use net and binos. 

Making maps more open should not mean making the entire middle section of some maps a complete deathzone with line of sight for base camping bots to shoot you.

IMO it's not a camo meta, it's a camping meta.

We basically have two types of maps evolving, the be in heavy tank or get out map, and the camp all round the edges and wait for someone to push map. 

TD meta is not going to come back, but if there is a game with a semi open map - hence all maps got +15 bushes plus got flattened - and some tank destroyers (usually jpe100 or grille) they can easily kill you at the endgame because they simply don't move. Camping became a more serious issue, mostly because the bots don't know where to go on the new maps, so they just camp but so hard they won't move 1 m.

I had 3 battles yesterday when I farmed 6,5k dmg on average in my 430u, but got killed every time because a:

-tortoise

-wt pz IV

-jpe100

-in 2 cases 2 tier 10 mediums in platoon

camped full game in one corner of: fisherman's bay, paris upper corner and abbey base on full hp.

It's very delicate because as someone said before, you can farm more, but you can lose more.

Plus if you know the new map best imbalanced spots well..

Nevertheless, since 1.0 came out, I managed to do two 5k average sessions and I have never managed to do that - constantly - in the past.

Wonder if ALL bushes are now "strong" ones which give soo much camo that even bad camo vehicles are hard to spot. Pre-patch different bushes had different camo values.

^They do all look pretty solid. 

4 hours ago, sahtila said:

Wonder if ALL bushes are now "strong" ones which give soo much camo that even bad camo vehicles are hard to spot. Pre-patch different bushes had different camo values.

Would be nice to know. It would fit in WGs agenda to simplify the game. 

7 hours ago, sahtila said:

2 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

Would be nice to know. It would fit in WGs agenda to simplify the game. 

When WG adds "soft cover", I get the impression it's designed to obscure your in-game vision by making it more difficult to pick out tanks among the visual clutter.  It further seems to impede your lines of fire  (bushes, fences, haystacks) and your lines of spotting (by interrupting the spotting rays like hard cover), but not necessarily adding camo value for bushes.

Ultimately, some of it amounts to the same thing; less spots and lines of fire giving the impression of more camo but at this point I am not convinced most of the the new bushes offer great camo modifiers.  It obviously deserves some research... 

PS.  One of the reasons I keep the non-historic patterns visible is because they actually help pick out tanks against the clutter. YMMV

all maps are worse hands down

bushes are conviently added to crossfire spots (the church spot on siegfried line from south where you can shoot through the small walkways that line up into the heavy sidescrape corner conviently has a bush placed right in front of it so you can't spot on your own) to ruin gameplay, rubble has been added in seemingly random places that totally break maps and while most people just said that maps seem flatter because of the background, most of them are actually flatter so less ridges that are workable which is really noticeable on fishermans bay, the angles you get now as a redlining td is like twice as good

they also broke prokho because now you have spots from north spawn where you can sit completely safe from the middle on the hill, before you used to have small shots but now medium sized tanks are safe which is a nice meme because that map wasn't biased to the north already

clueless balancing, abysmal thought put into it and probably the single worst balancing department any game company has ever had in the history of any game ever

I couldn't be bothered to install the game again, but from what I saw on pics and videos, it's utter garbage for the most part, and still garbage for the rest. The flattening basically screws over a ton of tanks which were hanging on 'at least somewhat useful thanks to good gun depression' and makes them absolutely fucking obsolete. It also makes active play harder and promotes redline-bushwanking because many of the ridges that allowed for at least partial cover are gone.

The bush-moving - I'd probably demand blood if I still played big WoT. 99% of the bushes were moved because 'we need to make it look different' and they gave the job to a cracked-out autistic goat... There's literally NO thought put into it... 

And here I thought there was no way to make the game worse after 268v4 and 257...

Congrats WG, you have proven me wrong.

1 hour ago, EndlessAgony said:

The bush-moving - I'd probably demand blood if I still played big WoT. 99% of the bushes were moved because 'we need to make it look different' and they gave the job to a cracked-out autistic goat... There's literally NO thought put into it... 

On the contrary. The bushes were placed strategically. It's just I don't like the agenda, what they are pushing.

2 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

On the contrary. The bushes were placed strategically. It's just I don't like the agenda, what they are pushing.

The agenda of being retarded and killing the game? Oh wait, this is WG, anything is possible...

I was able to pretty effectively use a bus in a black prince on Mines last night that I would never have been safe in before 1.0.  The game has gotten very perilous for aggressive players - its become an STRV dream scenario. 

Its almost as if there solution to balance the heavy tank corridor meta was to bring back camo so that meds are relevant again.  

Its an improvement for scouts. there are rows of bushes where there was nothing before. And the bushes all seem to have great camo. The scout + shooter combo = win.

I feel like my number of spots in 1.0 is 50% higher than in 9.22, but my assist damage in tier 9-10 lights is about half of what I was getting before. Scouting now gives the team intel, but the old opportunities to rack up 5k spotting damage in the first couple minutes are all gone. Even spotting the crossing in Mountain pass is useless now. 

Because now, even if you can light deep, enemies either don't cross in the new open areas (Erlenberg) or are protected better by the terrain/cover. And if one of those are not true, the new campier game pace means none of the green team is in a position to shoot enemies.

Yeah, I started noticing being surprised in nearly every game by either not being spotted when I thought I would be or getting camo sniped from unusual positions.  So I started playing my E25 again to see and it is damn near invincible.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  :)

It seems like the average shrub camo rating was buffed through the stars.

Parking my 5A behind a bush and not getting spotted at 200 meters is retarded

You can't spot arty until you drive into the gun. FML.

3 hours ago, Strigonx said:

It seems like the average shrub camo rating was buffed through the stars.

You mean the average SCRUB camo rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrubland "Shrubland, scrubland, scrub, brush, or bush..."

Inb4 infracted for terribad puns.

That's the issue I have with people saying it's good for lights, you can't beat anything behind those bushes even heavies are tough to spot out of those let alone the TDs. 

If someone is camping in those shrub areas then basically it's theirs to fuck up, if they move or go to the wrong spot you might spot them or you need someone to basically suicide run towards it to get a proxy. 

8 hours ago, tajj7 said:

That's the issue I have with people saying it's good for lights, you can't beat anything behind those bushes even heavies are tough to spot out of those let alone the TDs. 

If someone is camping in those shrub areas then basically it's theirs to fuck up, if they move or go to the wrong spot you might spot them or you need someone to basically suicide run towards it to get a proxy. 

This SO much, tried to scout surf malinovka in 100 LT and almost crashed into a fucking enemy AMX 30 that had slipped into a bush unseen.  Needless to say Roger the Shrubber and his unseen friends made short work of my scouting attempt.  When everybody has a cloaking device, scouting is pretty useless.

Add in the general flattening of maps means that you can't use terrain as jonny camper has far more LOS now over areas where you'd previously be able to dip into terrain, like I was just on Siegfried Assault using the ridge and was able to be shot by a Tiger 1 camping at the back that would have previously been impossible as there would have been bumps in the way or hiding from tanks on your side of the mid rige on Prohk is much harder because the dips are less shallower and they need to poke over less to get you.