Sign in to follow this  
ogremage

Steppes 1.0

7 posts in this topic

Admittedly I haven't played the map THAT much yet, but the changes seem substantial.

In 0.9.x pushing 8-9-0 line seemed like the best initial strategy while 1-2 line was a stalemate and a strong attack on 8-9-0 often won (or at least gained a significant advantage & map control) as defenders were layered into 3 layers and isolated, and attackers could attack them from hull-down positions.

In 1.0 defenders have great crossfire positions and pushing into them becomes a big problem. 

What are your thoughts about the change to Steppes in 1.0 and optimal strategies for it?

I've noticed that most of these new maps favor tanks with good gun depression. Played Steppes today. Got the south spawn. Abused the whole 1/2 line.

4 hours ago, crapcannon said:

I've noticed that most of these new maps favor tanks with good gun depression. Played Steppes today. Got the south spawn. Abused the whole 1/2 line.

I thought it was the other way around? Everyone says the maps have been flattened out. The only one Ive played so far thats had a redesign is fishermans bay (which is waayyyy more open holy shit)

7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

I thought it was the other way around? Everyone says the maps have been flattened out. The only one Ive played so far thats had a redesign is fishermans bay (which is waayyyy more open holy shit)

Yeah definitely more open space. But on certain maps like Fjords & Steppes I felt like I had more hull down spots than usual.

From the few games I have played, the 8-9 line you have to drop down as any play on the top rows gets you shot by TDs on the ridges at the back you won't ever spot so the 8-9 line essentially becomes a pure front on brawl corridor.

Was poking with AMX30 the other day on the upper sections to try and get flanking shots and just kept getting hit by an Strv. 

yes in that regard i feel like the strv-tanks got a "buff" with new maps being all bushy :D

Edited by mistervanni
grammar

Its a pain in the arse now to get to the 9-0 corner from the north, so the TDs camping generally have a great time shooting down there. If they made it a bit easier to push down 9-0, its a good side of the map. Haven't tried to play from the other spawn, but generally at the bottom, if you don't take the bowl, you are almost always going to lose. 

Haven't bothered playing 1-2 line since i almost never did and avoided whenever i could anyway.