Sign in to follow this  
RGM79GM

Dying RX480

8 posts in this topic

So I've got red lines and dots all over my screen which I take to mean my RX480 is dying on me, wondering what the minimum GPU I'd need for WoT HD client on high at 2560x1080 would be to replace it, ty for any suggestions.

Whoa dying AMD card everywhere here.
The minimum card would depend on UHD would depend on what frames you want.

I'm running WoT on a ultrawide in windowed mode 3440 x 1440 with a 3570k, SSDs and 7950 (my 390 died and I had to go back to my original card). I get 35-40 fps with almost everything maxed (shadows and lighting not max).  This is well playable for me but I'm sure some wouldn't accept that.  No lags or freezes yet either (SSD power!).

I know others with better systems have been worse off so you never know, having SSDs seem to be the big difference maker for loading and not having freezes when objects are loading as you enter the draw distance range.

Check to see whether or not it's your connection from the card to the monitor first if you haven't already. I've had something similar happen before where it was just the cable. Definitely worth checking to make sure it's not something simple like that before buying a new card.

If it is the card you could probably find another 480 on the slightly cheaper side now and be good graphics wise

8 hours ago, _Dean_ said:

Check to see whether or not it's your connection from the card to the monitor first if you haven't already. I've had something similar happen before where it was just the cable. Definitely worth checking to make sure it's not something simple like that before buying a new card.

This

8 hours ago, _Dean_ said:

If it is the card you could probably find another 480 on the slightly cheaper side now and be good graphics wise

nope - I dont think so

-----------------------------------------------------------

new - 1050Ti

used - something like a 280X, 380 or GTX680. Though I d go with AMD in that case because of VRAM

Problem with 'cheap' RX480 or 580 is they might have been used in Mining rigs and might fail as well soon.

6 hours ago, graukatze said:

Problem with 'cheap' RX480 or 580 is they might have been used in Mining rigs and might fail as well soon.

Not completely a 'bad' thing, just not ideal. Mining cards tend to be under-volted and not at 100% usage, but they on 24/7. The spikes of gaming use will affect it more. Think of it like buying a car with either 200k miles on just the highway, or 100k miles in the city.

On 25/03/2018 at 12:36 AM, _Dean_ said:

Ahh thanks for this suggestion you saved me a bunch of cash! It did turn out to be a bad HDMI cable so now I can keep using my RX 480. Might overclock it now I know it was stable all along and see if I can nab a few extra frames.

Sign in to follow this