boom_town

Newbie again

14 posts in this topic

Hello WOTLABS,

I haven't played WoT in a looooooong time but when I did play Wotlabs was my go to spot for info and getting purple poaster info.

Well, I am back, I played a few games and....oh boy...I am terri-bad.  That makes sense as I need to get back in the groove (but I wasn't that good before so there is that too).  

I used to run Aslains pack to get like jimbos crosshairs, are those legal these days and can anyone give me a safe place to get it?

Also, what do you folks think is a good tank to get back into the game with?   I am thinking mid tiers, can make credits and maybe with a little speed so I can learn the maps.  Any tank like that pop into your head?

Also, my tier Xs are: E3, E4, E5 and Patton.

Are any of those I should play/avoid currently?

Hey, welcome back.  Google wot mod hub. It's an official portal for mods, all of which should be approved by WG. Aslains modpack is on there.

Soli, everything is kinda fresh again.  Its pretty awesome!

Thanks zbran!  I am so used to Aslains the game feels weird without it

8 hours ago, zbran said:

Hey, welcome back.  Google wot mod hub. It's an official portal for mods, all of which should be approved by WG. Aslains modpack is on there.

WOW!  When you said official supported site, you meant it!   That is amazing, any other good ones in there?   I really like its supported like that in the official website.

3 hours ago, boom_town said:

WOW!  When you said official supported site, you meant it!   That is amazing, any other good ones in there?   I really like its supported like that in the official website.

Yeah it's pretty handy and so far I have found most of the mods I use supported from day 1 of a patch drop. I would still be careful with the mods on there as WG have said the only do basic checks on the mods to make sure they're not in some way dodgy. Stuff like Aslians should be fine I would think as they're so popular.  Like you I struggle with the vanilla client and find the game really hard to play.

Any good mods? I'm probably not the right person to ask as I only use a small few. I use Solo's mod pack and everything I want is in there. It's a good pack, it has a simple scroll down menu and if you hover over a particular mod it shows a small picture of what it looks like in game, a handy feature I think.

What I use is.

I have to turn on XVM in the modpack, so I select standard or something like that, I don't activate it modxvm.com as I don't use it, so can't see the play colours ingame.

Solo's minimal gun sights. (I'm pretty sure it's just a client config that you could do yourself in game).

Jimbo's tank icons. I simply cant live (I can really) without this mod, it tells me at a super quick glance, especially in the heat of battle the make up of what's left of the teams, and it's not Eyebola either, very clean and simple unlike other ones.

Dead white tanks. Does exactly what it says on the tin...

zoom x2 default . I use shift to go from tank view to turret view for firing and this one's a must for me. I set aim zoom to x16 max.

The tank zoom out mod ( I think it might be called Pmod of something). It zooms out about 50 bloody miles, all I want is about 2-3 clicks of  the scroll wheel more than the client version, but whatever it works for me.

I use a session stat mod, no idea which one it is tbh..

That's it, everything else I want is in the game, ohh just in case you weren't aware, WG have integrated most of the really popular mods into the game over the last few years. Things like the render circle and view range circle are now in the client, along with a shot direction indicator and a "which tank hit me and with what" indicator. There's loads of new stuff if you search the various menus.:nanoserb:

Oh yea, I remember dead white tanks.  I will get that!

Man, I do ok with my E4, but I kinda suck at everything else right now.

I used to love the T32 but its painful on those tier X matches as I can't pen anything.  

I tried lower tiers and I am even worse there LOL  Well I bought premium time to get some extra credits per battle at least.

1 hour ago, boom_town said:

Oh yea, I remember dead white tanks.  I will get that!

Man, I do ok with my E4, but I kinda suck at everything else right now.

I used to love the T32 but its painful on those tier X matches as I can't pen anything.  

I tried lower tiers and I am even worse there LOL  Well I bought premium time to get some extra credits per battle at least.

Mate, me giving you advice on playing this game would be the equivalent of Stevie Wonder giving you golf lessons. All I can say on that is the meta is now super heavies and corridor maps. Wait until you meet the glorious Type 4 and 5.. Perfectly balanced tanks.... There is still some fantastic players still knocking around here who would be far better to give you advice on tank flavours takteks etc.. There is a new MM system  which is "3-5-7" 3 top tier 5 from next tier down and 7 from the next, this has completely screwed most tier 8's as they are completely useless against most heavy tanks higher than them now. There are tier 10 lights now too, the general consensus is they are completely useless as meds can pretty much do the same thing as them, but come with more HP and pen. The alternate French heavy at Tier 9 is a really nice tank, but the tier 8 before you get to the good tank is dog shit apparently. ( I free xp'd passed it after reading some of the horror stories).

Hey that is good info!  I appreciate it zbran!

25 minutes ago, boom_town said:

Hey that is good info!  I appreciate it zbran!

No bother mate, hope you enjoy the game after your hiatus :-), I'm sure I'll see you around here... Ohh one more thing about the meta, HE spam is a thing now. The Jap tier 9 and 10 heavies especially! They were balanced for what would appear to be ex arty players and ex arty trolls.. they don't need to aim properly at you or pen you to do 5-600 dmg, kill your commander,gunner and driver, break your gun,engine and tracks, per shot.........................:superserb:

5 hours ago, zbran said:

No bother mate, hope you enjoy the game after your hiatus :-), I'm sure I'll see you around here... Ohh one more thing about the meta, HE spam is a thing now. The Jap tier 9 and 10 heavies especially! They were balanced for what would appear to be ex arty players and ex arty trolls.. they don't need to aim properly at you or pen you to do 5-600 dmg, kill your commander,gunner and driver, break your gun,engine and tracks, per shot.........................

We have Obj 268 v4 now, I'd say the biggest problem in tier 10 isn't a KV-2 that got fat on McDonald's

13 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

We have Obj 268 v4 now, I'd say the biggest problem in tier 10 isn't a KV-2 that got fat on McDonald's

In fact, I use the "fat KV-2" to hunt Obj 268 v4, Badger and S tanks.   Optics, HP, and a big boomstick puts a smile on my face every time.  I call it recon by lumbering.