Sign in to follow this  
Madner Kami

The Untold Truth about the Somua SM

15 posts in this topic

Ha, clickbait title got you? Good, because I'm kinda interested in getting attention to this tank, as there's barely any (read: none) commentary on it around. What's up with the tank? Is it as I suspect, that this tank has barely anything going for or against it, as it's placed in a wierd limbo of meh or uselessness between AMX 50 100 and Lorraine 40t?

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

Ha, clickbait title got you? Good, because I'm kinda interested in getting attention to this tank, as there's barely any (read: none) commentary on it around. What's up with the tank? Is it as I suspect, that this tank has barely anything going for or against it, as it's placed in a wierd limbo of meh or uselessness between AMX 50 100 and Lorraine 40t?

It doesn't seem that bad since the huge clip on the 50 100 is a bit useless. In many cases it's just too big for the hp on the tier. Early on you don't want to dump the whole clip since that means too much exposure and in the late game nothing has that much hp

11 minutes ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

@Trobs has this tank and he describes it as if a Lorraine and a 50 100 had a baby and the baby had cardboard armor plates strapped to the paper hull.

And if you fed the baby a diet of benadryl and cough syrup?

Watched Skill4ltu play it a bit. 

The tank is better top tier (3/5/7) than 50-100 or lorr 40t because of the amount of bullying possible to lower tier. But 40t is better low tier than Somua because armor is just meaningless once you find higher pens guns. 

Think T-54 mod 1 vs T-44-100

I  picked this up because I want something for the 50b crew and I haven't learned my lesson not to give WG my money.

Exactly what @DHP wrote.

I'm 80+ games in since picking it up.  It is very MM dependent. I've noticed on NA when the server pop is swollen(recently post 1.0 and on weekends) this thing can slay because you aren't used as filler for T10 games as often. When top tier you can clip out most equal tier tanks and reasonably expect to bounce.   The flat front(shoulderless) armor lets you side scrape a bit more reliably with its 90mm side armor(which is what the 50 100 has for front armor lol), -10 degrees of depression with the flat, shovel looking shape of the turret I've managed to bounce some surprisingly big incoming shells when ducking back behind a hill.

That 5th shell though can be quite handy,  I've managed to hold bigger,  scary tanks in awkward positions for 30-40 seconds when it tried to yolo me as I made my slooowww awkward retreat.  

I don't know what it is with me liking nominally mediocre French Heavies (I think the M4 54 is extremely competitive) but I've been finding this tank really excellent.

For all you lose in mobility (and it's still fair in this regard, 37 kph, which it reaches on flat, is the same as the T110E5), you get an excellent gun. Holy balls this thing lays down mad damage. The gun handling, intra clip reload, aim time and 5 shots on a reasonable reload time just make this gun THE BEST tier 8 heavy tank gun, maybe on par with the Caernarvon. People compare this gun to a Lorraine gun but there's not even remotely any comparison. If you hit 2.5 damaging shots on average in the Lorraine, you hit 4 damaging shots on this tank per mag.

The turret is small and the hull armour is pretty good at bouncing shots when you use that smexy -10. 

This thing has 90mm side! Side scraping is pretty doable in this.

What I don't get is how this tank is actually pretty mobile. The traverse is good but it has 12.5 horsepower per ton and not very good soft stats and still can easily reach and maintain 37 kph. 

On 5/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Deliberate said:

I don't know what it is with me liking nominally mediocre French Heavies (I think the M4 54 is extremely competitive) but I've been finding this tank really excellent.

For all you lose in mobility (and it's still fair in this regard, 37 kph, which it reaches on flat, is the same as the T110E5), you get an excellent gun. Holy balls this thing lays down mad damage. The gun handling, intra clip reload, aim time and 5 shots on a reasonable reload time just make this gun THE BEST tier 8 heavy tank gun, maybe on par with the Caernarvon. People compare this gun to a Lorraine gun but there's not even remotely any comparison. If you hit 2.5 damaging shots on average in the Lorraine, you hit 4 damaging shots on this tank per mag.

The turret is small and the hull armour is pretty good at bouncing shots when you use that smexy -10. 

This thing has 90mm side! Side scraping is pretty doable in this.

What I don't get is how this tank is actually pretty mobile. The traverse is good but it has 12.5 horsepower per ton and not very good soft stats and still can easily reach and maintain 37 kph. 

I agree. This tank is awesome. On paper it shouldn't be as good but the gun is strangely reliable and the armor works. It's not awesome and it will probably get much worse once people get used to fighting it but as long as it's rare it works. It's enough to force better enemies to aim and worse one to bounce. Also yeah sidescrape while reloading to prevent enemy morons from rushing you. I have this on rental and top tier anything sub 5k damage seems like back luck. It's been really nice offseting my super bad team RNG in my t-10 and Lowe. Fffs 30games 25% wr with 1800 dpg (because you know my team dies so having more is a bit hard with a slow, low dpg tank).

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

I agree. This tank is awesome. On paper it shouldn't be as good but the gun is strangely reliable and the armor works. It's not awesome and it will probably get much worse once people get used to fighting it but as long as it's rare it works. It's enough to force better enemies to aim and worse one to bounce. Also yeah sidescrape while reloading to prevent enemy morons from rushing you. I have this on rental and top tier anything sub 5k damage seems like back luck. It's been really nice offseting my super bad team RNG in my t-10 and Lowe. Fffs 30games 25% wr with 1800 dpg (because you know my team dies so having more is a bit hard with a slow, low dpg tank).

IMO slow autoloaders at tier 8 are a recipe for frustration. Tried the rental and found the gun derpy, even if more consistent than that of the 50 100. I'd honestly play the 50 100 or the Lorry even if both are worse at close/mid ranges. 

12 hours ago, lavawing said:

IMO slow autoloaders at tier 8 are a recipe for frustration. Tried the rental and found the gun derpy, even if more consistent than that of the 50 100. I'd honestly play the 50 100 or the Lorry even if both are worse at close/mid ranges. 

Not really. The tank isn't Lowe slow. It's t110e5 slow. Goes 35. Also 50 100 has too long reload and too large clip. 10s for 1 extra shell? Fuck that. Late game the extra shell is useless, early on you can't use it anyway. The gun is what makes the somua.  The gun neds a few skills but then becomes reliable

On 5/19/2018 at 1:33 AM, Deliberate said:

If you hit 2.5 damaging shots on average in the Lorraine, you hit 4 damaging shots on this tank per mag.

Looking at tanks.gg this shouldn't be the case. But I don't doubt you when you say that it is. I've come to the conclusion (get ya tin foil here..) that there is another variable not covered by tanks.gg. Possibly likely shot distribution within the  reticle? I don't know. But I do know that the Lorr sprays shots like few others, even when stationary and fully aimed.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:16 AM, sohojacques said:

Looking at tanks.gg this shouldn't be the case. But I don't doubt you when you say that it is. I've come to the conclusion (get ya tin foil here..) that there is another variable not covered by tanks.gg. Possibly likely shot distribution within the  reticle? I don't know. But I do know that the Lorr sprays shots like few others, even when stationary and fully aimed.

The tank is slower. 2 tanks with the same bloom - the slower one will bloom less. Also enemies stay longer in front of you because they have to aim and often they bounce like morons.