Sign in to follow this  
Draco912

my baby died :(

9 posts in this topic

welp it has happened to me and i feared it was coming but it still sucks. my gtx 770 from gigabyte died on me Friday April 6th at 9:00am EST after having my pc that was built for me for about 4 years which means its out of warranty. and with the prices of gpu's Right now i really doubt i would be able to get one anytime soon since im fully disabled and have no money and have to live with my father. if only gigabyte had 5 year warranty then i could try to get them to replace it.

weird thing is it still powers on but the fans spin at like 100% i assume because they sound like they are about to make my case lift off but it isnt giving any signal from the hdmi or dvi port to my monitor after my pc randomly shut off in the middle of a battle on friday. i dont think its the pcie slot because i even tried another and same just fans spinning super fast. im just super sad because gaming was my only escape from how f'd my current health situations are.

any suggestions on new gtx gpus manufactures would be appreciated or should i stick with just gigabyte gpus?

I've had many bad experiences with Gigabyte's RMA and warranty process over the years so I stopped buying their products.  I made the mistake of giving them another chance a couple years ago and lost about $190+shipping because of it.

I'd stick with EVGA, ASUS, and MSI for Nvidia GPUs.  Stay away from the MSI Armor series though.  Most of them have inadequate cooling.

The good news is GPU prices are dropping again due to the drop in cryptocurrency pricing.  GTC 1060's are $330-$350 new.  They were $400-$500 a couple months ago.

If you find something used to hold you over for a few months, Nvidia is supposedly announcing their new GPUs that use DDR6 this summer.

There are some good resources on used GPUs

My 3 1/2 year old gaming laptop, ASUS G750JZ with the GTX 880M died about a month ago. 

As you now know, it's a terrible time to look for a video card. 

There has been a shortage, but NVIDIA has been rumored to be announcing it's next generation of video cards "any day now" for the last month or  so.  Latest rumor is a summer announcement.  The only announcement I've seen is that will be called the 11xx series.  These cards look like they might be a big leap in performance, google "NVIDIA ray tracing". 

So it's unlikely NVIDIA is going to do much to ease the shortage by running off a large production run of GPUs that will soon become obsolete. 

There does appear to be a slight easing recently though, and I was able to purchase am MSI GTX 1050 from Best Buy a week ago for $220.00, twice it's list price.

This runs high def WoT 1.0 at 1080P at 60 to 70 FPS with everything graphical set to ultra and maxed.  I'll turn down a few things that obscure my view, like grass in sniper mode and probably smoke. 

I'd mostly try to spend as little as you can right now, because something interesting might be here soon. 

Does anybody reading this have an old 9xx or 10xx they could give Draco912 a deal on?

1 hour ago, PDX_Dragon said:

There has been a shortage, but NVIDIA has been rumored to be announcing it's next generation of video cards "any day now" for the last month or  so.  Latest rumor is a summer announcement.  The only announcement I've seen is that will be called the 11xx series.  These cards look like they might be a big leap in performance, google "NVIDIA ray tracing". 

So it's unlikely NVIDIA is going to do much to ease the shortage by running off a large production run of GPUs that will soon become obsolete. 

Its probably not "any day now" because that was very hopeful speculation.  Nvidia can't release the next gen GPUs for retails ale until DDR6 reaches full scale production this summer.

Nvidia supposedly stopped production of the 10X0 GPUs already to start production of the next generation GPUs.

4 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

If you have a halfway decent PSU, look for a used R9 280X.

i have a evga 750w supernova g2 psu and if its true that new better gpus are coming ugh guess i will have to wait. i tried playing wot on minimum with my intel integrated gpu it runs the game but my god it looks like ps1 graphics lol. guess till new gpus come out i will be stuck just playing my 3ds >.<

You said you had very little financial wiggle room ... for 100-130$ a used 280X gives you the most performance on a tight budget.

And those new GPUs won't be here before late summer/autumn and meaningful performance will cost you 300+$ on a new card.

8 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

You said you had very little financial wiggle room ... for 100-130$ a used 280X gives you the most performance on a tight budget.

And those new GPUs won't be here before late summer/autumn and meaningful performance will cost you 300+$ on a new card.

i actually have no wiggle room right now lol i am broke as a joke. i am disabled and no income from  me. i would have to have my dad buy it and he is retired >.< hence why it might take me ages to get a new gpu anyways even if its not a high end one and i need atleast something thats on par with a 1070 got lots of games i want to play that my 770 couldnt :(

Sign in to follow this