Sign in to follow this  
breeeze

1.0 Abbey in light / soft medium / bottom tier

7 posts in this topic

In 1.0 WG has removed all the "sneaky" positions on Abbey, the side of the monastery is inaccessible and the elevated part on the right is not climbable anymore except from a single chokepoint on the 8-line. Those were pretty much the only position i knew to play anything that can't brawl in. What can those tanks do now on this map, is there something I'm missing? I feel like its literally play like a TD and camp base now because every position is a straight up brawl.

I'm not the best player so take that into account, but I have had some limited luck with initial spotting on the 9-0 line by taking a fast light onto the island. It does sometimes give a bit of spotting damage and I haven't yet gotten into trouble for going there. If your guys win the snipe-fest you can progress with them and try to break deadlocks by yoloing I guess. Or just go back through your spawn and go somewhere else.

Other than that I have no good idea on how to be useful at the start of the game after 1.0 in a bottom tier light or medium and so look forward to read what better players have figured out.

Yeah I'm in the same boat.  Trying to rush mid is suicide with all the bushed up TDs and arty pre-aimed on abby road.  I'm just camping for a couple of minutes then trying a sneaky 6-7 line rush to spot the TDs and arty with pretty meh results.  They really need to make it so the abby road cannot be preaimed so easily

Like many maps for paper tanks, it's basically go heavy or go home map.

Getting Abbey, Paris, Mountain Pass in a light, paper med etc. is basically WG going 'Go f*ck yourself' at you. 

The only way to salvage those maps are to be camping SOB's who only appear in enough time to unload into the ass or flank of an engaged enemy. Always the last brides-maid, never the focus.

If I have speed in my paper tank, I will often go full throttle up the 2 line to the gaps where you can shoot across into the Abbey. The trick is knowing when to retreat, so you don't get obliterated in a 2-line brawl. After retreating, I'll reevaluate and decide whether I can hang around the brawl for sneaky shooting and flanking opportunities, or whether I have to go somewhere else.

1,2 line still seems to be the key to this map. I will go there in just about any tank in just about any matchup and do what I can.