nabucodonsor

Winning is now more RNG based than ever?

16 posts in this topic

So recently I was mesmerized by the brilliancy that is Fjords, so I checked on Vbaddict the WR on maps based on spawns. I was surprised when I discovered that if you spawn as team 1 on most maps you get a higher chance to win.

Problem is that  certain maps like Live Oaks give you a 58% WR  chance to win if you spawn as team 1; another example is Cliff is similar with 57%.  Other maps like Stepps, Overlord, Sand River and others give you an advantage of about 54%. 

Instead only on few maps and mostly on Encounter mode (except for Mountain Pass), give a  advantage to teams spawning in base 2. 

Now you may think that 7 or 8% is important but not huge, however according to Vbaddict, if you play on for example Live Oaks and spawn in base 2 you get a 41% chance of  winning. So between the 2 possible spawns there is a big 17%  difference chance of winning. 

This proves that WG has done a horrible job at reworking maps. Also very interestingly as unbalanced as Fjords may be, the difference between the 2 spawns is only 6% but probably due to higher drawing chances.

Link to Vbaddict: http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics_maps.php?tier=810&tanktype=0&nation=0&modeid=0&team=0&groupby=5&fieldname=won_lost_ratio

This was in my opinion the single worst update WG has ever done.  It was so poorly thought out and it really highlights how disconnected the dev team is from their own game.

As I said months before patch 1.0: WG will make HD maps good (gameplay wise) or beautiful. Not both at the same time. 

Guys, why are you surprised?

I hope that there will be a fix soon, how ever if I know anything about wargaming this will take 1-2 years to address. 

Will sending in a ticket with this vbaddict data help anything?

I have a suspicion that is very old data.  VBaddict uploads don't work with 1.0  maybe?

Filter OP link for T8-10, and standard only, and swamp T1 has more battles available than a current map like El haluf.

4 hours ago, Sylvansight said:

I have a suspicion that is very old data.  VBaddict uploads don't work with 1.0  maybe?

VBaddict normally presents 30 days of data.  Based on when 1.0 came out and the associated file changes that hindered uploads for extended periods the data is still obviously mixed.  Having said that, the differences on some maps is anecdotally of concern.  For reference there were still quite a few 8% to 10 % imbalances with the old version of current maps...

Maps may well be unbalanced but players are also not learned them yet which can skew results. So WG really should wait some months for map meta to settle down before reacting.  Though, we know players never learn some maps (see Swamp north heavies always going to do south-west corner).

Comrades! For to solution change timezone on your PC to Moscow it give 10% better team +25% to RNG and also Ukraine.

1 minute ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

Comrades! For to solution change timezone on your PC to Moscow it give 10% better team +25% to RNG and also Ukraine.

+1 for using proper Russian grammar comrade!

6 hours ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

for NA peeps change it to Brazil

I think I'd honestly be happier with significantly less total maps if those fewer remaining maps were actually equally balanced even if it makes it less "interesting" for those who don't care about game balance.

On 20/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, RGM79GM said:

I think I'd honestly be happier with significantly less total maps if those fewer remaining maps were actually equally balanced even if it makes it less "interesting" for those who don't care about game balance.

I care about game balance, but I also care about not being bored and only having a small selection of maps is a good way to turn this into a boring game. I personally dont mind if a few maps are unbalanced, as it is utopia to expect all maps to be 100 % perfectly balanced. I already find playing the current maps in a given map rotation pool to be a bit boring as there isn't a whole lot of variety.

Sure the new Fjords is not great in the balance department, but my experience tells me that random teams are not good/aware enough to take advantage of the imbalance. I am yet to win a game spawing east, out of about 10 games (granted I've played the UDES, so that doesn't help). Each time my team decided to lick windows and give map control to the west spawn. Small sample size, but shows that what the better players sees as a crazy imbalance, it not something that is seen by the average player.