Sign in to follow this  
MagicalFlyingFox

Fjords 1.0

13 posts in this topic

Yeah, yet to see any kind of deployment from the North-west spawn that has even a 50-50 chance of winning unless the other team plays like complete idiots.

One change that could help would be to make the road up the central hill favour the North-west spawn instead of the South-east spawn as it currently does. Because that hill favours the SE now, the NW team can't contest the A8 area because you will just get shot in the back. If the NW team could at least regularly secure the hill, at least in the initial stages of the map, it allows the team to try and push A8 and prevent being stuck camping the base.

Worst map in the history. Its extremely unbalanced AND its completely awful to play as well. I dont enjoy it even from the superior side.

Most bad maps are bad because either they are unbalanced (Live Oaks) or simply just really shit to play in (Paris). Fjords, however, is both.

I updated it

cdadd8fe05.jpg

Completely overlooked the stupid spot at E7 because really the others were enough to win. 

Tanks from the left still get to the hill faster if they just go there. I was west with a type64 and went straight to hill and somehow there were a couple tanks already up, I couldn't believe it. But it took several years for the pubbies to understand that, it will take some years more. If you get tank on the hill from the east side then you got the middle too. 

From the west spawn, the only play I can see that gets you maybe a 30% chance to win is to rush C7 in a medium tank. The shape of the cliff gets you cover from A8-9 if your tank is small enough (ie 30B size) while you can shoot D4, E4 and E5 if they play too aggressively. But then, if the enemy team plays A8 or A9 too aggressively or puts a light up the D7 road, you're fucked. Still, I found it's the best you can do. From W spawn, you can only win if you exploit the enemy team's fuckups and C7 lets you best exploit the most common fuckups. I'll see if I can find a replay playing that position.

Only way of winning this map is to make a strong push through A8 with 4-5 mediums. You can reach that area quicker than enemy team and if you push further you avoid getting hit from behind. Once that area clears, you can control the middle area from there. Easier said than done when you are solo pubbing though...

I read a comment somewhere that controlling E5 (the little ramp) is the key to winning the map.  It is not a gimme for the east spawn (even though it looks like it) and in my limited experience on Fjords 1.0 it has been more successful than any other approach from both spawns (because its not a typical pubbie trap).  Even the denial of this area to one side or the other can turn the tide of the battle. YMMV

The best I have done is rushing the hill in something fast and hope the team moves up with you AND people push up north AND something goes F4 area to discourage them yoloing up the hill after you.

The biggest issue is the east team goes north and if they have people in the middle they don't need to do much, the hill is going to spot and they will get to snipe away at the campers until that team is basically forced to go back to their base.

But if you are west, anyone going up north has to fight up hill and as soon as they make a push if there is someone on the hill in the middle they get shot in the back, so they are fighting up hill and getting shot in the back so people don't bother and fall back to the A6 area, which leaves the east team's north players to just freely snipe from there under no pressure to push.

West basically has to make aggressive and risky pushes in several areas to get any map control, east team just has to take the hill and most everything else they can be relaxed about. 

i don't understand  why this map needed any change, it was perfect before. 

Sign in to follow this