DerWeasel7

"Forward, ye' dogs! Once more, unto the breach!" - Frontline Event

99 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hall0 said:

Yeah arty still sucks. Especially when you get hit by arty and arty strike + air strike. You just sit in front of your screen and question your existence. And If you do survive you won't have any fun playing with your crippled tank until you reached a repair zone. 

The thing is when you DO get artied only thing it does is delay you for 30 seconds until you respawn. You game doesn't end then and there which is usually the most frustrating thing about arty.

Same with strike consumables. Their reload is too big and airstrike usually only detracks or something and arty strike rarely hits and when it does it does less dmg than actual arty. Unless you're in a filthy scorpion. In which case you deserve it :P

I'm getting back into WoT and WG was nice enough to greet me with this! Frontline is hella fun. 

Any tips on how to farm/win?

1 hour ago, UglyBigD said:

I'm getting back into WoT and WG was nice enough to greet me with this! Frontline is hella fun. 

Any tips on how to farm/win?

Farm - Autoloaders and/or high alpha/DPM Premium tanks - Somua, Lorraine, WZ TD, et alia.

Win? Fuck if I know.

Am I insane trying to grind the T28 in this mode with it being so terribly slow even with the buffed speed? Caernarvon does well though, actually ran out of shells with it in a battle yesterday.

Is it just me or is this mode slowly getting more and more campy? I'm around rank 21 or so now and I'm just afraid to advance anywhere as most of the enemy team just bushcamp and wait for someone brave(stupid) to make a move. 

When I started playing, my first few games were actually fun, tanks driving and fighting everywhere. Now I just spend a lot of time thinking where I could actually go without getting ripped apart by camping tanks.

The few games i played last night pretty much most of my team just camped and sniped, be it attacking or defending. 

I was flanking on one of the first caps as a defender, just wrecking the enemy but eventually got yoled and I look at my team and they are all miles away from the cap we are supposed to be defending. Once I went down the cap was captured pretty much straight away. 

Don;t know if I was just unlucky or there has been a shift as it was my first few games in the mode. 

Playing the Chrysler, 120 GFT, and 44-100 exclusively..........really reminds me of how retarded every single one of them are when you don't see 10s at all - it's like you're always one tier higher than everyone else - on top of shitting out credits, which is really the icing on the glazed turd of balancing that tier 8 is.

This mode isn't without problems, but I like it. It's almost what WoT should have been. Large map, any position can be flanked (I've almost never seen a tank trying to sidescrape) and an incentive to push. Re-spawning also means people aren't quite as risk averse. Slow tanks are the losers here, but I like fast tanks so that doesn't bother me too much. 

11 hours ago, Errants said:

I'm a terrible person, but I'm debating bringing back either my US or FR Tier VIII SPG...  From what I've seen in the after battle, though, much more reliable results with damage dealers - the arty don't ever place well, and if you don't get at least Major, it's kinda a wash.

Play your premium and make crazy credits. Let us mortal enjoy arty free games when possible.

48 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

... or there has been a shift as it was my first few games in the mode. 

If it goes like in WoWS it will take one or two weeks till the average pubbie will have adjusted.

The best thing about this mode is definitely that the rewards are good even if you lose as long as you are not a potato and still put out good damage numbers. A few games I've started slowly but gotten into the game, lost and still gotten good results for hitting General or Major rank. It doesn't feel that you're punished so much for getting a bad team if you still did a decent job. The problem for this is that it does encourage camping and sniping as opposed to actually attacking/defending a cap like you're supposed to.

The other main thing I dislike is that it is not active outside of 'prime time' which means I can manage 2-3 games of it max.

29 minutes ago, zbran said:

Stupid question time.. Do personal reserves work in this mode?

They do.

Have been using personal reserves and been having v good games, getting about 250k profit on a loss.

I can't play randoms now at all after playing this. Rip randoms, wg have destroyed their own game by mistake.  Haha this will have to be made permanent

They really need to remove sky cancer from this mode being shit on by M40/M43s when you're the only one who got to a good position to hold back the enemy is fucking terrible.

11 hours ago, TheTrojanWarrior said:

I do feel the attacking side has a disadvantage. I have yet to win one game from the attacking side and have won all of mine from the defending side.

Defenders definitely have the advantage. The best tactic I have seen for winning on attack is to sneak past the defenders and destroy an objective before the defenders notice. 

9 hours ago, RGM79GM said:

They really need to remove sky cancer from this mode being shit on by M40/M43s when you're the only one who got to a good position to hold back the enemy is fucking terrible.

The worst part is when you're in a fast heavy bullying a random Progetto and then suddenly - snap -  you get hammered by arty, the arty consumable, the bomber consumable, and the arty with the arty consumable.

Basically why this mode is good breaks down to:

40%: all tier 8, no +/-2 tier difference garbage where you're expected to waste half your time being low tier fodder so some mouth breather gets to feel good. This also diminishes the role of gold ammo which is another garbage game mechanic WG won't give up.

20%: lots of room to maneuver, which adds some strategy and thought while evening out the classes more than standard chokepointfest games. I dare say a (good) light tank is even good in this mode.

20%: respawns and repair bays, which remove a lot of frustration where one bad roll can ruin your game and as a result every one hides because moving is so dangerous.

20%: low rate of arty play. Go back to a regular tier 8 and get hit as much in 5 minutes as you do in 30 minutes of frontline. I played my friend's account since he had a tier 8 arty and it was stupid easy, so I expect the bads to gravitate towards it over time, unfortunately, so this factor will likely diminish. I found I didn't do a ton of damage and get much XP, but it still leveled ranks quickly. It's also so easy to land hits in this mode because of the cap objective, I literally only missed 2/24 shots. Did about 250 damage per hit overall plus the stun, and we're talking a weak crew and no food.

But yeah, WG's kinda painted itself into a corner, this mode just points out everything we've been saying for years is right. I've been playing 2 hours of frontline a day since the start and it's been pretty chill, my sanity can't reliably withstand a full hour of regular tanks. Open the mode to tier 5+ and Remove Arty From the Game, 100% better than old tanks.

21 hours ago, TheTrojanWarrior said:

I do feel the attacking side has a disadvantage. I have yet to win one game from the attacking side and have won all of mine from the defending side.

Get engineering to max, yolo the cap and cap. Then die, cap somewhere else to get more time and you win. You have to be very aggressive.

Spawn campers in zone C are getting to be annoying. Allowing for easier support from B and perhaps making tanks invulnerable for a short time after spawning might alleviate the problem...

11 hours ago, Kymrel said:

Spawn campers in zone C are getting to be annoying. Allowing for easier support from B and perhaps making tanks invulnerable for a short time after spawning might alleviate the problem...

C is the most vulnerable to this. Your guys in B have to make a push across, even if its 2-4 players, after B is captured to prevent this if you have a competent platoon defending C. Been there, done that. a VILIN platoon I was on held C for 15 minutes, and then the game ended. I think only 1 of us died once. A fast win in B is key

4 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

C is the most vulnerable to this. Your guys in B have to make a push across, even if its 2-4 players, after B is captured to prevent this if you have a competent platoon defending C. Been there, done that. a VILIN platoon I was on held C for 15 minutes, and then the game ended. I think only 1 of us died once. A fast win in B is key

You can yolo cap C if lots of tanks follow you. On Frontline cap points get resetted only if you get killed, otherwhise if you get hit it just slow the capping speed.

1 hour ago, nabucodonsor said:

You can yolo cap C if lots of tanks follow you. On Frontline cap points get resetted only if you get killed, otherwhise if you get hit it just slow the capping speed.

Yeah, the problem is that it requires others to follow, when they prefer to snipe and hide. But I agree, I was playing with a friend last night, it is pretty easy to farm the spawn-campers from behind coming in from B even with two tanks.