DerWeasel7

"Forward, ye' dogs! Once more, unto the breach!" - Frontline Event

99 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2018 at 4:09 AM, RGM79GM said:

Am I insane trying to grind the T28 in this mode with it being so terribly slow even with the buffed speed? Caernarvon does well though, actually ran out of shells with it in a battle yesterday.

Idk about the T28 specifically, but I used the AT-15 as an attacker and it worked incredibly well. The T28 has a similar combo of armor, HP pool and DPM so it should be able to do some serious work around the cap circles and in the city.

Got to max prestige yesterday, 1000bonds is kind of boring as a reward..
Once you get that, only thing about frontlines is the credit gain, which is amazing to be sure, but seeing the same map for hours on end is kind of triggering. Not to mention on apac you keep seeing arty going for good players because they are tomatoes.

Is it me or are the zones too open? Seems like no matter where you go, you can get shot from all sides.

Wow. When Frontline started I alternated between Scorp and Blackdog with Type 59 or WZ 120-1G FT if both the others were locked. Made General most of the time, all good. Then I started playing almost all Scorp with some Patriot to brawl at the objectives and to push on sniper nests. Still made good credits but ranking up was a little harder. So I started experimenting more with the Blackdog. And playing light tanks is apparently pretty easy xp, and therefore ranks.

Take my last game as an example. Scorp did just under 8k damage (5,3k from 300+) with 2,6k assisted. All good. Blackdog did 1,4k damage (550 from 300+) and 360 spotting with 114 defense points. Scorp nets 1.925 base xp. Blackdog gets 1.614. Either disrupting cap is super, duber valuable or light tanks get en even insaner amount of xp in this mode than in randoms.

I mind the Defender less in this game mode. Most engagements are at medium or long ranges and any position worth taking can be flanked. That said, I had a game where a platoon of two Defenders and a VK just drove onto an objective B and parked there. My team couldn't kill them fast enough to prevent a cap. The rental T32s and T-44s have problems with them even from the side.

10 hours ago, ribena said:

Is it me or are the zones too open? Seems like no matter where you go, you can get shot from all sides.

They are open, but once you learn the map's firing lanes and to keep an eye on the minimap at all times you learn to work around it. Random battles are pretty static/predictable, but Frontline is quite dynamic, so you have to do a lot of guessing as to where the enemy might be.

I love this mode, but it makes me sad that it took WG 7+ years (and a different studio) to make what the game should've been all along.

16 hours ago, kariverson said:

My god I came across some defenders today. How retardedly broken is that tank. It's much more apparent vs only 8s. 

Yah I have been using it and when I needed to push or hold a key section it was my go to tank, I held off for about 10 minutes on the A flag I think where the attackers try to get up and cross the bridge even though I was at one point facing full HP fresh spawn tanks and I was a one shot.

I also when attacking pushed all the snipers off that ridge that overlooks one of the flags (can't remember which one, but it's the one where you drive up a long path and it overlooks like the whole side of the flag) I pushed like 3 skorps and 3 meds off there solo and basically opened the cap up for us.

16 hours ago, Kymrel said:

I mind the Defender less in this game mode. Most engagements are at medium or long ranges and any position worth taking can be flanked. That said, I had a game where a platoon of two Defenders and a VK just drove onto an objective B and parked there. My team couldn't kill them fast enough to prevent a cap. The rental T32s and T-44s have problems with them even from the side.

It is still by far the best push or hold a position tank. 

Plus very little premium ammo is used, so and all the T-44 FLs and T32 FLs cannot pen you frontally basically.

And if you want a tank to just cross a big open field in, it's the tank, at range barely anyone can hit your lower plate. 

It's broken AF. 

-----------------------------------------------------

My biggest gripe with the mode is the arty and air stroke consumables (and arty in general, how much of a sad sack do you need to be to play arty in this mode, a big new open map, new features and you decide to click from base). I don't think any of the consumables should be damage dealing, the arty and air strike are too annoying for defenders to just clear out caps and it's just annoying as a player when you get hit by both of these things in combo.

Plus pretty much everyone who has unlocked them, has air strike, arty and recon, so you barely see smoke used, even though for attackers it's a massively powerful tool. Many a flag cap I have had is because I smoked out the defending ridge or whatever and they basically became useless.

IMO all consumables should be passive, like smoke, recon plane, repair boost etc. 

One thing I haven't noticed any one mention, is IMO skill matters more in the mode, not just because of the more open and tactical maps, but because though it is 30v30, in reality each battle is 10v10, so a good player can have more impact in his sector.

I find you end up in a lot more 1v1s where you can out play people and a good platoon on a sector is hugely powerful because they are basically a third of the team. 

Attacking is getting harder and harder as people figure out how to defend.  I refuse to even consider attacking in the east (C and F) unless I'm just too slow to cross to the mid.

OMG my IS-6 is useful again!

Well, maybe I spoke too soon

On 5/12/2018 at 2:52 PM, nabucodonsor said:

Get engineering to max, yolo the cap and cap. Then die, cap somewhere else to get more time and you win. You have to be very aggressive.

What is engineering ? 

1 hour ago, DHP said:

What is engineering ? 

One of the 6 skills you can tech up via coins earned from promotions.

3 minutes ago, Errants said:

One of the 6 skills you can tech up via coins earned from promotions.

I meant, what does it do ? 

2 hours ago, DHP said:

Boosts repairing, capturing and something else.

Quite useful for attackers, engineering and smoke makes capping way more possible.

@Archaic_One I'm still wining plenty on attack, C gets spawn camped hard but it's also a noob trap for the defenders, because you'll often see like 15 tanks there v 5, and then attackers overload the rest of the map.

Yesterday C still had like half the enemy team whilst we were destroying their guns and won easily. 

You just have to not get trapped on C. 

4 hours ago, DHP said:

Faster cap time so instead of 3 minutes it takes you 1. Amazing when you are attacking as it allows you to fast cap with some others and win the flank immediately. 

3 hours ago, hazzgar said:

I'm a moron. Which tank gets what exp after the game?

Just review the individual battle results.  There will be an "overall" button as well as a button for each tank you played showing those tank results...

3 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Just review the individual battle results.  There will be an "overall" button as well as a button for each tank you played showing those tank results...

So I have to play better in the tanks I want to exp to get more exp since I don't have 3+ tanks I'm exping at t8.

25 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

So I have to play better in the tanks I want to exp to get more exp since I don't have 3+ tanks I'm exping at t8.

Pretty much.  Each individual tank rewards (XP) are consummate with their contribution to the whole.  I only have a couple of T8 grinds myself but prefer running the prems for credits and just bumping crew skills.   Although, I have been playing a 0.7 skill crew in the 50 100 for funzies and bring out the Charioteer once in awhile...

What's the best way to farm XP/General of the Army? Damage/assisted whoring by itself rarely does the job.

Blocking the cap yields massive XP, for instace. What else? 

Capping as well. I am running "engineering" on all tanks I play, and try to cap wherever possible. Although i play exclusively solo, i saw a lot of time 3-man platoons, with engineering rushing cap, and it seemed like a strong tactic.

Also moron question - is there any way to select more than one of the reward consumables at a time? I know arty and airstrike will rotate between each other when you have both at level 5, but found them to be underwhelming (especially the airstrike). Given I just went through my first re-set, decided to play a bit with the others and am trying out a max Inspire as my first consumable instead.

What do you mean they rotate? You choose them for each tank. Lights get 3, TDs get 2, meds and heavies get 1. I have no idea how much the clickers get, i don't play that shit

Arty get enough to run a spotter plane and arty strike so they can spot for themselves, click then arty strike.

Fucking disgusting.