TheTrojanWarrior

Streaming and how to start streaming?

18 posts in this topic

So I've just downloaded a program called OBS and I want to try my go at streaming world of tanks and other games. How ever I have no idea where to start and how to actually be able to be entertaining to people if they watch my streams. My talking mostly consist of off the shot comments that aren't even funny. With that being said I would like to get a few pointers on streaming if anyone has any. 

I use Stream Labs OBS I think it is much easier especially if you are clueless like I was. 

https://support.streamlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000835374-Getting-Started-with-Streamlabs-OBS-SLOBS-

to be successful as a streamer you need to have a good sense of humor and be at very least decent at the game you're playing 

being funny depends on what kind of crowd you're hoping to bring in 

There are two ways you grow your stream and why people keep watching. It's either because you are you, or for your gameplay. People ultimately watch a stream for enjoyment, whether it's because it's fun or because the quality of the content is high it's what makes people stick around. Streaming is as much of a job as it is fun, while a lot of people just have a chat on their 2nd monitor they treat it as if they're just playing the game and talking to the chat. Educational value along with a decent personality goes a long way when it comes from a good perspective. That's how I grew my stream. Started from scratch and basically no one knew who I was, very vocal about my thought processes and kept pushing myself to do hard things and the stream grew pretty rapidly. Eventually I stopped school and had to work for a living and streaming that way just became a bit too much for me, so it turned into a casual stream. That's where my viewers started stagnating and declining. I was hitting 150-200 viewers on around 2000 followers when I streamed, now I'll hit 40 tops with more followers. 

Ultimately keeping the content quality up and having an inviting personality is how you grow a stream. 

Some other small pointers that help further the impression a viewer gets of you:

• Make a decent offline background, twitch panels with information and all that stuff to make your profile look better
  • Keep a schedule. As long as you can stick to a schedule decently then people know when to come back, it's comfortable knowing so you get more consistency from your viewers this way. You don't have to stream every day, just try to do it the same time the same days on a regular basis. 
  • Rage. Keep it to a minimum, everyone gets salty due to arty but watching someone passive aggressively babyraging isn't really great. 
  • Webcam and a quality mic. People like seeing faces, and having a nice mic that won't rip an ear off with its static is pretty sweet. 

I also recommend using the Streamlabs OBS instead for beginners, it's much more user-friendly and it generally runs better on most PCs. 

I have installed streamlabs obs and it has helped a lot considering I've never edited anything before. I'm not funny for most people to watch and there are a lot of better players to watch than me playing the game. I'm indeed in trouble for streaming it would appear but I guess that gives me more reason to improve my gameplay. Thanks for the tips :).

18 minutes ago, TheTrojanWarrior said:

Would it help if i had a friend that would play with me in platoons?  

Depending on how talkative you are, it could help a lot. When starting, don't really expect your chat to be active, and if you're not the most talkative person, you might often have long streaks of silence - and as a viewer, if I don't have anyone to chat with and the streamer is not doing anything to capture my attention, I'm basically watching silent walkthrough, but of an online game and I can't even skip the boring parts.

So getting a platoonmate you can talk to and fill the blank moments, especially if you have a nice chemistry, will definitely be helpful. If you feel like you can entertain the stream all by yourself even without interacting with chat, I guess you don't have to do it.

11 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

i hope you have big tits

8 hours ago, TheTrojanWarrior said:

Would it help if i had a friend that would play with me in platoons?  

Combine these two ;)

• Quality mic
  • Quality webcam
  • Good attitude and enjoyable - not just merely playing the game. Be interactive
  • Play at the peak time for the game when most of the game's population is on
  • Have a steady schedule
  • A desire to grow
  • Genuine enjoyment of the game.

At one point I was doing pretty well but just stopped because tanks just isn't my kind of thing anymore.

Ninja is one example where he spiked after switching to Fortnite over PUBG, which he clearly enjoyed much more.

It has been said already but it is imho the single most important technical plus: get a good sound quality going!

Good framerate is a must have, face cam is nice but most people will not listen to a stream thats hard to understand. Quickybaby is the best example, his audio quality is top notch and he speaks in a clear and easily understandable manner - I bet Circon could have just as many viewers but I often do not understand what he is mumbling into his mic and thus whenever I have to decide between QB and Circon I choose QB.

Last but not least: if what your statsbanner says is true then you need to bring your witty/social/likeable A game because you will not be able to survive on your skill alone. A good example for this is the notorious Mr Jingles but for me "WIlde Uschi" (german streamer that startet with WoT, then went to WoWS) is even better. He is not the best player but he is just somehow funny and likeable. His voice is comforting and tranports that he has fun. You feel like you are in your local cozy pub with all your best friends when you listen to him.

HOWEVER - you will never find out unless you simply try. Don't let yourself be put off, just dive in and see if you can find your niche - best of luck :)

Okay. I probably have a bit of expertise on this.

First and Foremost, despite the fact I am a good player, I believe my stream is (was) mostly centred around personality and chat (and possibly my accent lol) My skill in the game is a good backup, but I am fully aware that there are MUCH better streams to watch if all you're looking for is super skilled gameplay,  Even myself, while I don't watch streams very much (if at all) when I do watch, I find someone who is fun and entertaining to listen to is MUCH more enjoyable for me than someone who is purely skilled, silent gameplay. 

Second, for streaming, a good quality mic is a MUST! bad quality audio is hard on the ears, requires much more attention to understand, and if you have lots of static in the background its really annoying. If you are serious about streaming and find yourself gaining follows, you will need a good quality mic. the one I use is the Modmic which is a boom mic that just allows you to clip it onto your existing headset, its good quality, and is quite cheap as well. 

For platooning - when I play tanks, I EXCLUSIVELY platoon. Almost entirely because I find solo play to be extremely unfun, but also because I believe that in tanks the teamwork aspect of it is one of the best parts of the game.  I myself have been told plenty of times by viewers that watching how I play in a platoon is extremely interesting and enjoyable to watch, because I can be so effective when playing with someone I know well. Platooning with someone you have good chemistry with can really enhance the experience. Someone you laugh and joke with a lot, or can communicate with extremely well ingame. People who rage a lot are quite bad because no one likes hearing people just raging all the time. 

Lastly, but far from least, a schedule that you stick to at least 90% of the time is HELLA important. For me, at the top of my popularity, my schedule was pretty much rock solid. i was streaming at every time I said I would, and for as long as I would, and hitting 100+ viewers a night no problem, however lately, since around last october, I let off on the streaming a lot. Im streaming maybe once every few weeks if that currently, and when I do stream my viewership has been sitting around 10 people. 

Some other things to note. I personally don't think you need a facecam. I don't see a huge point in it myself, and I don't use one. Also, I should probably point out that I got quite lucky myself, since I am very good friends with Neverwish, he stuck me on the sponsored stream list on Wotlabs, so I got a boost to viewership from there. Along with that, being in New Zealand, I found that my prime time was often right after NA had gone to sleep, and EU was waking up, thus there were little to no English WoT streams at that time of day, so most english viewers ended up coming my way as the only English streamer actually on. 

going back and rewatching my last stream, my stream kept freezing on for the viewers during certain points in the gameplay like whenever I shot what is this caused by and how can I prevent this. Also my fan on my computer is the loudest thing in the world (I swear this fan could drown out a whole orchestra of russians playing the soviet anthem) so as you can imagine my mic picks the noise up pretty easily. I don't have many friends in game that I have chemistry with (I dont work well with them) so would it just be better to solo pub it?

12 hours ago, Kuroialty said:

How much does streaming impact your ping?

Depends on your internet and the bitrate you stream on. The standard is probably around the 2500-3000 bitrate mark for the smaller streamers which really shouldn't impact your ping at all with a decent internet speed. The bigger streamers probably average somewhere around 5K for 1080p, and that can impact your internet a bit more. I never really had issues with ping, my internet is just unstable as shit due to having to use wifi. 

If your internet is good and your upload speed isn't actual trash then it shouldn't impact your ping 

17 hours ago, Kuroialty said:

How much does streaming impact your ping?

It stays the same 100-150 ping average.

Edited by TheTrojanWarrior
edited for reasons

On 5/18/2018 at 2:56 AM, TheTrojanWarrior said:

going back and rewatching my last stream, my stream kept freezing on for the viewers during certain points in the gameplay like whenever I shot what is this caused by and how can I prevent this. Also my fan on my computer is the loudest thing in the world (I swear this fan could drown out a whole orchestra of russians playing the soviet anthem) so as you can imagine my mic picks the noise up pretty easily. I don't have many friends in game that I have chemistry with (I dont work well with them) so would it just be better to solo pub it?

The stream freezing is one of or multiple things: first, bitrate. 2500-3000 bitrate is the best that I've found for 720p streaming. Second: your video encoder. If you're using h264 then try out Nvidia NVEC if you have a modern Nvidia GPU (900 series or later I think?) Which uses the GPU to encode (the same way shadowplay works I believe) which should take load off your CPU. 

Third: your CPU itself. i found when I streamed that if I had anything major running in the background on my old 3570K (the main one being a shitty facebook flash game I play) then the stream would stutter a lot. On my 7700K that doesn't happen at all, so if you're running an i5 then stuff like that, may include youtube videos or anything like that thats taking up CPU processing time, could be another cause.