Sign in to follow this  
kunjuro

Tiger I Initial Production in Tunisia (1/35 Tamiya)

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks. Been playing a bit more WoT recently, liking the new T8 mode. Can be really fun while playing a LT or a HT. Anyway, I would like to share my most recent WIP - Tamiya's 1/35 Tiger I Initial Production, as deployed in Tunisia.  Still not happy with the dust on the wheels and hull. Will probably work on it again during the weekend. Would appreciate any constructive criticism. Thanks for looking!

xJZqyJQ.jpg

SUFdkHH.jpg

fqMfSgT.jpg

QhOUK3w.jpg

hE14swQ.jpg

bcTTBfP.jpg

ZfKpk0W.jpg

QUDS969.jpg

The gun barrel looks unpainted, is that intentional?

Overall looks pretty neat, though there could be more weathering on the hull. It still looks too clean to me, like fresh off the train clean.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

17 hours ago, Haswell said:

The gun barrel looks unpainted, is that intentional?

Overall looks pretty neat, though there could be more weathering on the hull. It still looks too clean to me, like fresh off the train clean.

The gun barrel was painted in original panzer grey - there is photographical evidence showing some of the Tigers deployed in Tunisia had their replacement gun barrel still painted in their original colors with a protective gloss coat (see photo below). Am trying to lessen the amount of weathering on the vehicle and go for a dry-desert look as mentioned by DoggieKruper. I'll still be adding a few more washes and a final dust coat over the entire thing to blend it all together though! 

740d6b4df909a95c21cc6c3dbb1a66d1.jpg

What do you use when adding dust? Pigments, washes or something else? Tracks are looking really good, I like how you've got them dusty but still  kept all the details visible. Did you do pinwashes to the hull? 

22 hours ago, Ruuhkis said:

What do you use when adding dust? Pigments, washes or something else? Tracks are looking really good, I like how you've got them dusty but still  kept all the details visible. Did you do pinwashes to the hull? 

Thanks!

I use a mix of those. Tracks were painted black from a hardware store rattle can. I used the leftover RAL 7008 thinned with more paint and put random splotches of that on the tracks afterwards. Once they dried, I applied an initial coat of Vallejo Light Siena mixed with water all over the tracks then superglued the top ends to the wheels once they dried. I gave it another wash of Light siena mixed with natural siena which I also applied on the lower running gear. I rubbed most of it off with some cotton buds and old paintbrushes. 

For the hull, I used an initial wash of Tamiya's Line Accent Color (Black) (Just a fancy product that is no more than highly thinned enamel color. Good for making consistent washes though). I then applied a bit of Vallejo's Desert dust on some of the parts. Finally, the same dust coat was applied over the model randomly. 

Looks very nice. I for one like the now too worn look, as I feel that sometimes people go a bit over the edge. 

What colour did you use for the main body? I plan on doing something very similar at some point, although I'll go for making Tiger 131 (but not through the Italeri/WG kits).

On 6/4/2018 at 3:12 PM, WaterWar said:

Looks very nice. I for one like the now too worn look, as I feel that sometimes people go a bit over the edge. 

What colour did you use for the main body? I plan on doing something very similar at some point, although I'll go for making Tiger 131 (but not through the Italeri/WG kits).

Thanks a bunch!

I normally use Tamiya Acrylics as they're really forgiving and almost never go bad (except for their white. That color needs a biiit more care.). Unfortunately, they don't have a good match for RAL8000/7008 out of the bottle.

For the RAL 8000, I used Vallejo Model Color 879 as I had that lying around - it was a great match based on photos I've seen online. The RAL 7008 is trickier, but I used Vallejo model air 71.116 camo grey green. This two tone camo is supposed to be hard to distinguish in the first place - and further weathering will tone the contrast some more. Ironically, I had an easier time using the model color from vallejo than their model air... I just can't make the Model Air work consistently well with my Tamiya Basic Compressor and AB. 

Agreed with the Italeri kits - unless you get it for a song. Would recommend the Tamiya Early Production kit for a hassle free experience, or the Dragon one if you really want the detail... although the latter needs a bit of surgery and cutting as called out in the instructions. They used sprues from other DML kits thus the need to eliminate some details or add missing ones.

On 6/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, kunjuro said:

*snip*

I am personally not too bothered with historical accuracy in my models. So if a bolt head is the wrong shape or in the wrong position in relation to what the rest of the body is, then I don't care too much. So I go for ease of installation/assembly and then painting. :P 

I'll look into the Vallejo model colour - although I'm going to be brush painting it, but it shouldn't make a big difference.

6 hours ago, WaterWar said:

I am personally not too bothered with historical accuracy in my models. So if a bolt head is the wrong shape or in the wrong position in relation to what the rest of the body is, then I don't care too much. So I go for ease of installation/assembly and then painting. :P 

I'll look into the Vallejo model colour - although I'm going to be brush painting it, but it shouldn't make a big difference.

I tend to stick with a compromise - I will try to find a balance between ease-of-build and accuracy. I'm not a rivet counter per se, I love the 80s-90s tamiya kit for that reason, but I do notice more obvious omissions like Engine Grills on German stuff or grossly disproportional shapes like on the original 1970s Panther A by Tamiya. However, based on the amount of unfinished Dragon Model WIPS I have, I do prefer buildability over 100% accuracy. I tend to be wary of Italeri stuff though - they have their quirks in terms of fit. I could forgive the accuracy issues, but I've had to wrestle with a few of their kits lately and I dislike the fact that nearly all of the rubber band tracks I got from them broke (M47, Panzer IV and M4A3(76) Sherman). 

Vallejo Model color ought to work fine if you're brush painting. I started brushpainting with vallejo exclusively before I got an airbrush. In fact, I had originally intended to brushpaint the RAL 8000 color on a SDKFZ 222 before because it's quite a hassle to set up the airbrush where I live. Would love to see photos of your work once you finish!

On 6/8/2018 at 3:29 PM, kunjuro said:

Vallejo Model color ought to work fine if you're brush painting. I started brushpainting with vallejo exclusively before I got an airbrush. In fact, I had originally intended to brushpaint the RAL 8000 color on a SDKFZ 222 before because it's quite a hassle to set up the airbrush where I live. Would love to see photos of your work once you finish!

What I've made so far with only using the Italeri WoT ling (incl. their paints) is the following:

https://imgur.com/QzptJsH
I did the crusader first, and decided to try and weather it and probably went a bit overboard. I used a wash from "Army Painter" to try and give it some weathering. One day I'll redo the road wheels as they aren't painted particularly nice (or evenly for that matter). But since this was my first ever attempt, I am quite happy with the result.

Second tank was the Sherman, and here I was surprised at how dark the Italeri OD actually is. It is the same brown as the actual brown included in the paint set, so I was highly disappointed by that. I was going for a more dark green shade than what I got. So this Sherman is repainted and not very well. This also needs some more love down the road when I am more experienced. It might even be demoted to test bed for different techniques and colours.
https://imgur.com/ST5PVq3

Thirdly and most recently I've painted a Chaffee in plain OD. I've done some light weathering/brushing of lighter shades to give it more depth, but I have limited colours available so It's limited what I can achieve. I am more happy with this than the Sherman.
https://imgur.com/VAg0YN7 

I am planning on buying a bunch of pigments and washes for future projects and I might go back to these and give them some more love. Also sorry for not the best pictures. I just took what I already had on my phone :P