Sign in to follow this  
NightmareMk9

WG has gone soccer code crazy

28 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, snowdude21325 said:

Can someone post likely winners to the matches? Who is favored for those of us who know nothing about the sport?

This has betting odds at least.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/score-centre/football/world-cup

1) Uruguay 
2) Argentina 
3) Germany 
4) Belgium 
5) Colombia 
6) Uruguay 
7) Argentina 
8 Brazil 
9) Mexico 
10) Poland 
11) Uruguay 
12) Argentina 
13) Brazil 
14) Colombia

It's called Football. 

And that (as usual) is a much better than the stuff we are getting on EU. 

40 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

It's called Football. 

And that (as usual) is a much better than the stuff we are getting on EU. 

Agree to disagree.  Either way I give about 0.1 Shits about the game

nWKcna8.jpg

All these 'soccer' heathens...

1) Uruguay 
2) Argentina 
3) Germany 
4) Belgium 
5) Colombia 
6) Uruguay 
7) Argentina 
8 Brazil 
9) Mexico 
10) Poland 
11) Uruguay 
12) Argentina 
13) Brazil 
14) Colombia

Don't disagree too much with any of the above, except I would tip 7) to be Serbia over Argentina. Also for 10), Poland v Columbia is probably 50-50 but inclined towards Poland as well.

As a general rule for those uninitiated, at this stage of the tournament you can probably pick winners with 70% chance of success by picking either the South American nation or the European nation. Where two Europeans/South Americans playing or a European v South American playing then that's where it's a bit more complicated, but even then, you could probably flip a coin and do okay or go off the FIFA rankings (although they are generally pretty rubbish for the World Cup it's probably a good enough guide).

1 hour ago, SaintLaurentius said:

Which game, FOOTBALL or World of Tanks?

:gachi:

Definitely soccer.

52 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Definitely soccer.

The only reason colonials use the name "soccer" instead of the original name football, is because they couldn't think of a better name for a game played with a foot long ball. Which brings us to the next issue I have with 'muricans and company. What's with the measuring system, wouldn't the metric system be much more logical to use? How about SI-system? 

Atleast they drive on the right side of road in the new world, so that's nice.

We invented it, thus it is called Football. Your version always has to be pre-faced with the word 'American' to note it's the non-original (and crapper) version. 

11 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

We invented it, thus it is called Football. Your version always has to be pre-faced with the word 'American' to note it's the non-original (and crapper) version. 

And others took your invention and improved on it. Hence what you know as 'football' was demoted to soccer.

3 minutes ago, Ezz said:

And others took your invention and improved on it. Hence what you know as 'football' was demoted to soccer.

Shouldn't a requirement of football be... i don't know... to handle the ball with your feet?

Any reasonable person would have just called it "American Rugby", atleast this name would make sense.

1 hour ago, SaintLaurentius said:

The only reason colonials use the name "soccer" instead of the original name football, is because they couldn't think of a better name for a game played with a foot long ball.

It's the English who shortened Association Football to soccer (by way of "Assoccer"). It was called Soccer eighteen years before it was called Football.

When I was growing up, I remember seeing Futbol used more often than the others. No confusion there.

While I agree that in Europe we all find it strange that it is called "Saccer" in America..(Except in Ireland where a lot of people call it Soccer too, because we have a sport here called Gaelic Football (Hurling is better btw) ).  Anywho, Soccer is actually an English word and is believed to be a slang version of  "Association" (Association Football). So as it stands Soccer is very much a very old English slang word.

It's football. It's called soccer in the states because of A. Football and its easy to confuse between the two when both are called football.

I love both sports. I just hate the term soccer.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:07 PM, SaintLaurentius said:

Atleast they drive on the right side of road in the new world, so that's nice.

You have to thank the French for popularising that one...

In soccer (football) players actually use their feet for more than just an occasional kickoff. The ball gets propelled most often with feet, hence FOOTball. American football rarely uses feet to propel the ball - it gets carried or passed by throwing. Most often it gets around with attempts at carrying the ball once caught. It should be called carryball or passball. Despite being North American, i quite like carryball myself. Especially the reactions to that term. :serb:

If anyone wants to make some money I've guessed the winner in every game so far and scores right in all but Russia-Saudi and Portugal-Spain :doge: 

I'm on my phone so cba to look over the games but a few things: 

Croatia is the best team in their group, Argentina looks better forward but Croatia has 5 CL finalists on their starting roster that people don't respect at all. Argentina lacks in defense and plays super heavily on possession on the opposing side of the field. Argentina is weak against teams that can keep their defense closed and not let people in between them, Iceland even got to pressure Argentina LUL

Germany is the best team in their group but their squad is getting older, so younger teams can play a higher tempo and eventually wither them down. Mexico and Sweden have free wins there if they strangle germany's ability to systematically move the ball up. 

Mexico has a history of losing against Germany (never won in WC) but haven't lost their opening game in 24 years. Worth considering.

Colombia has two free wins basically. England has a free group considering their squad is plug n play from the Spurs and should have a more sophisticated playstyle than before. 

Uruguay has the best offense in the entire WC hands down but Egypt has Salah so you never know, he started benched tho so who knows. Russia won't make it out of groups even with home-turf. 

You should consider the dynamic of the rosters who face each other rather than who the better team is. My Iceland-Argentina bet gave me a nice payday just saying :doge:  

Edit: I know Ger-Mex has finished already but I havent watched it yet, no spoliers pls

Edited by Kolni

5 minutes ago, Ezz said:

What was your final pick for ger-mex?

My bets for the group: 

this is the highest goal avg/game WC's ever had. I'd be surprised if there are any goalless games until matchday 3 tbh

1-1 Mexico vs Germany (wrong), rip my billion dollars from unibet

1-1 Mex-Swe Safe bet, won't be goalless but hard to see who wins it (Mexico has better players but Sweden has better synergy) so it's reasonsble. Mexico scoring early putting pressure on Sweden means a different result though. Sweden sucks from behind.

3-1 Mex-Korea (Mexico has a much higher pace but korea plays smarter football with a lot of leaps and finding gaps within the defense so I doubt Mexico will keep the 0)

2-0 Swe-Kor, slower pacing than Mexico but much better squad synergy for Sweden

2-2 Ger-Swe, a history of draws between them and without Zlatan sweden struggles getting through their backline but they're a fresher squad with better tempo imo, Toivonen will score though. 

4-0 Ger-Korea. Defenders are too good. No way they get through or are able to punish on germany moving up the ball along with their team to the enemy territory.

Edited by Kolni