Sign in to follow this  
tajj7

The K-91 thread

9 posts in this topic

Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd start one as I am really liking this tank so far. 

So have only played 8 games in mine, so bear that in mind. 

I'm averaging ~ 3.5k DPG with ~ 1.1k assistance so far, which is above what I can generally do with tier 10s these days (more around the 3k DPG area) but of course it's a small sample.

Playstyle wise I have been approaching this tank in a sort of Bat Chat/light tank playstyle, i.e. early spot if you can (base camo can hit 38% stationary, over 29% on the move, plus you have 410m base view range), support/snipe where possible and then when the game opens up you can start to become more aggressive DPMing that crap out of people (also sidehugs are a thing, this is a very low profile tank). 

I have improved vents + improved rammer + food + BIA for the 4k DPM and 4.8s reload memes.  Yes it's only a little more than what you can say get with a 140, but I think when you add in the accuracy, gun handling, shell velocity and high base pen of this tank, you have some of most reliable DPM in the game. It can get quite scary at times and you feel sorry for the peeps you catch out in the open or perm-a-track. 

I have also noticed the turret is not as bad as it first looks, it's viewable now on tanks.gg (presuming this is correct) -

LEgxIgh.png

Certainly not reliable, though that is against it's own gun so about the highest medium or heavy gun around and there are still plenty of autobounce zones. Mantlet will bounce most stuff in places, though there are armour holes there, but the rest of the turret ranges from around 220 - 230 up to over 370-400 in places, so against some tier 9s and most tier 8s hull down play is fairly reliable giving it some bully potential and certainly at medium to long ranges you'll get more turret bounces than say a Leo. 

There seems to be no hull armour on the tanks.gg model but from experience it's just about HE proof and that is about it. 

Mobility wise it's good enough, certainly very agile but still feels a bit sluggish at times. 

The gun is a dream though, dispersions are not quite Patton levels but again when you add in the accuracy, aim time, shell velocity and pen it's a great combo. 

Also with -5 to the front, -9 to the side it's probably the least awkward rear turreted tank in the game. 

Overall a fun tank, if not maybe a meta tank, I particularly like it because it's a bit different and it makes you think a bit more about your options and decision making. I could probably do better and carry more games in something like a 430U where you just go smash faces in brawls and bounce everything but the K-91 gives more satisfaction when you do well.  

A quick summary of this tank would be that it feels kind of like what a tier 10 light should feel like without the hyper mobility. 

Wouldn't optics>vents be better if you play it as a light? A tank 3,3% better is really better than having 6,7% more view range? Considering that you also mostly snipe with it or spot wouldn't 28 meters of view range help you more?

Mine's started well but I'm already thinking a more comfy med would work better. I've noticed the lack of rotating turret quite a bit, but then the maps I've had in my limited sample mostly involved being fairly central so having to swivel a fair amount. The gun is sweet tho. As is the vision ability (tho sadly haven't had a vision map yet). Brawling is an option due to how small you are, the odd bounce and that dpm - a bit like a 416 in that regard.

Honestly not sure why WG can give the guard a 360 turret yet not this line (beyond a44). It wouldn't make them too broken imo, but the comfort alone would make them a far more attractive prospect. 

3 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

Wouldn't optics>vents be better if you play it as a light? A tank 3,3% better is really better than having 6,7% more view range? Considering that you also mostly snipe with it or spot wouldn't 28 meters of view range help you more?

I'm running rammer/VS/vents with food. I'm running a 6 skill crew so my view range is at 472m. The reason I went for vents is to make the already superb gun handling as good as it can get so I can constantly poke for shots and hide immediately after firing. Optics would be nice for the 500m+ of view range, but with the way the meta has devolved, I don't think there's a use for optics on a soft med like that anymore.

Very much a side discussion but in my pre food days I'd often run with vents over optics but since starting on food I've gone back to optics. I find it's almost the best of both worlds in that you get the overall food bonus plus vision. Ymmv of course. 

6 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

I'm running rammer/VS/vents with food. I'm running a 6 skill crew so my view range is at 472m. The reason I went for vents is to make the already superb gun handling as good as it can get so I can constantly poke for shots and hide immediately after firing. Optics would be nice for the 500m+ of view range, but with the way the meta has devolved, I don't think there's a use for optics on a soft med like that anymore.

I'd use the view range not to scout but to snipe without getting spotted while spotting for yourself. It would be more situational but when it happens you can destroy the enemy team and potentially change the outcome of a game, if your opponents are stupid enough. It is especially good in late game on open/semiopen maps.

And considering the great handling and dpm it already has (with food and bia you get 4,95 sec reload) the advantage you get with Vents/IVents is not huge. 

10 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

To be honest I just like seeing the high DPM numbers, plus I have improved vents and don't have improved optics so the difference if less than the standard vents to optics.

It's that trade off, optics is good but a lot of the time that piece of equipment will be doing nothing because you'll be on like Abbey or Himmselsdorf or whatever having to fight at 100m, whereas vents is always working for you whatever you are doing even if the boost is a lot smaller. 

4 hours ago, tajj7 said:

To be honest I just like seeing the high DPM numbers, plus I have improved vents and don't have improved optics so the difference if less than the standard vents to optics.

It's that trade off, optics is good but a lot of the time that piece of equipment will be doing nothing because you'll be on like Abbey or Himmselsdorf or whatever having to fight at 100m, whereas vents is always working for you whatever you are doing even if the boost is a lot smaller. 

I used the difference between regular Optics and IVents to express those nubers.

I dont know but when I create builds or in this case improve tanks, i always try to maximize their strenghs. I have not played it but it does not look like a good tank for those maps regardless of vents. So I'd rather be way stronger where I already have an advantage than patching a weakness that I cant really fix. It's not like it makes it a brawler by improving the armour. You practically just get a better gun.

But this is just my opinion so I guess it depens a lot on your playstyle and so there is not a perfect answer.

Sorry if I sound a bit pedantic I am just trying to figure out if a) it is worth it and b) the best way to work it

It's not actually a terrible brawler, it;s no 430U but the turret will bounce, sides can't be overmatched by most and it's very low profile so if you are very close it's super awkward to deal with. Plus you are agile and have that DPM. 

Against lone heavies or TDs, it's quite a threat if you get close.

But like I said my main reason was just the DPM memes really, it's more like a pimping out thing, it's just cool to see that 4k DPM in the garage. Optics may well be a slightly better choice, but for me I find more fun with the vents.

Plus it has 410m view range, it can be argued that it's already strong there that it doesn't need pushing super high.

Not sure there is a true right or wrong answer here, more personal pref. Probably if I was marking it I'd go optics, but I just like driving round in a tier 10 med with a 4.8s reload!