Vindi

Help needed to buy a basic (but good) budget laptop

9 posts in this topic

Hey bros,

I immediately need to buy a basic ultrabook /or notebook/ for just to work in word and browse some pages but with eventual heavier loading /some research pages with big data for my PhD/. I checked the acer aspire and the dell vostro series but honestly I never had a laptop; just witnessed all kinds of laptops becoming wrecks by 2 years of time so I try not to expect much. I want to have i3/i5 processors (at least i3), 500/1000gb of HDD (combination with SSD would be great), strong battery, etc.

Now at work I'm currently using a Dell Vostro 15 3568 series which seems to be okay, but primarily I'm looking after some lighter (in weight) version.

I checked comparison sites and ultrabooks (asus 2in1 and so on) but I'm pretty undecisive hence the various serial numbers and great fluctuation.

My budget is relatively thin (around 400 euros) so naturally I don't expect an i7 core with 8gb ram with 1280p but maybe I overlooked on some great deal.

Thank you very much in advance,

also, tagging @Folterknecht as the choosen one in computer cases :)

With only 400€ you won't get far be it specs or (build)quality. I selected dome very basic specs (8GB, 4 cores Intel, 1080p) and you already look at ~500€

https://geizhals.de/?cat=nb&xf=11609_1920x1080~12_8192~6748_12~9595_4&asuch=&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30&togglecountry=set

Thinkpads all the way. There are refurbished ones online for dirt cheap prices. With great specs and fully upgradable. Thinkpad W530 at around the price you're looking. Or a T420, T520 and upgade the screen if you want something even cheaper. 
I usually hate laptops because they are designed to fail so you get the newer one. You always see overheating issues. But after I started using a thinkpad T420 that I was given for free by a business that was upgrading, I've almost fell in love with it. Rigid, excellent built quality, fully upgradable down to the CPU. (And since it's designed for business purposes, it's going to last quite a while too) When I was given it, it had 4gb ram and a 500gb HDD. I made it 8gb and with an 120gb SSD. (You can even have a second drive wheere the DVD drive is, and you can carry your DVD drive in your bag if you need it. It's hotswapable without needing to screw or unscrew anything.) I'm thinking of getting the screen upgrade and a CPU upgrade later. But it's seriously not even needed. Although I don't do heavy stuff on it. 

Aaaalright so @Folterknecht

Thanks guys for the feedback so based on that I will pick one with base SSD (will upgrade ram and HDD) and so far these are the contestants:

https://geizhals.eu/lenovo-ideapad-320-15ikb-black-80xh01m5ge-a1741176.html

Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB black, Core i3-6006U, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD (80XH01M5GE)

https://geizhals.eu/asus-vivobook-max-x541ua-gq1246t-black-90nb0cf1-m35430-a1728184.html

ASUS VivoBook Max X541UA-GQ1246T black (90NB0CF1-M35430)

https://geizhals.eu/asus-vivobook-15-x542ua-gq222t-grey-90nb0f22-m02720-a1683447.html

ASUS VivoBook 15 X542UA-GQ222T grey (90NB0F22-M02720)

I'm leaning towards the Lenovo one per design but help me out.

Which one do you recommend from these? (One of them I will buy)

I wouldnt touch neither of them, at least until you made sure that you can upgrade the RAM in the 4GB model with the FullHD screen. Often in low cost models (or Apple) the RAM is soldered without the option for expansion. Trust me when I say two low clocked cores with only 4GB RAM in todays day and age becomes a pain in the arse even with websurfing the moment you have more than 5 tabs open. Without addblockers you better have a good old fashioned men's magazine at hand to bridge the site loading times.

And I havn't encountered a 1366x768 screen I didn't want to smash the moment I saw it, if only because the web is designed for FullHD. And that is before the issue of picture quality these screens have.

23 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

I wouldnt touch neither of them, at least until you made sure that you can upgrade the RAM in the 4GB model with the FullHD screen. Often in low cost models (or Apple) the RAM is soldered without the option for expansion. Trust me when I say two low clocked cores with only 4GB RAM in todays day and age becomes a pain in the arse even with websurfing the moment you have more than 5 tabs open. Without addblockers you better have a good old fashioned men's magazine at hand to bridge the site loading times.

And I havn't encountered a 1366x768 screen I didn't want to smash the moment I saw it, if only because the web is designed for FullHD. And that is before the issue of picture quality theses screens have.

okay then I will spare a little more money. Thank you very much bro :)

I browsed around on Amazon since I don't know all the good sites for EU. Seems 2 cores + 8GB RAM is your best bet for that price range.

Yeah I'll just wait and gather some more I think, but of course thanks for the feedback. :)

I still think your best bet is a refurbished Thinkpad W530. Yes a bit older but CPU performance hasn't progressed that much. a top of the line Ivy Bridge i7 (4 cores 8 threads). I mean an i7 3820QM still blows an i3 7100U out of the water. (and i3 7100U laptops start at 500euro) Then you got 8GB of RAM stock, easily upgradable, FHD 15.6" screen and stuff like fingerprint sensor etc. You'd probably need to upgrade the HDD to an SSD also. 

I've had a couple of friends buy refurbished thinkpads before. They're basically indistinguishable from brand new ones. Not even a blemish but they weren't bought online though. I'd ask if it's A grade or if it "looks and feels like new" before purchasing. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_nkw=thinkpad+w530&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=5&_sop=10