ZXrage

1.1 Update

19 posts in this topic

I'm surprised none of y'all made a unifying thread for the 1.1 patch. It dropped in CT a couple of days ago.
https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/update-1-1-common-test/

Thoughts on the changes? Polish tanks yay/nay? Maps good? PM 2.0 good? Are WG still idiots?

Just another patch with nothing in it that peaks my interest in a good way.

Object 279 just should not be in the game, end of story. At least they managed to not create magic russian sidearmor on it, which is something, I guess.

Don't care for Minsk, yet another city-map and a wannabe city-map for all classes like Paris, which is a complete clusterfuck and Studzigythianki will be just as bad for exactly the same reasons.

Map reworks are meh. Province being a terrible map for high tiers was obvious for all the painful reasons the original map was scrapped to begin with, so yet another sign for the deciders just not knowing what they do. Mines, ok, needed a change, gonna see if it is good or not. Rest I feel are benefitting the wrong tanks, given the descriptions and what I've seen so far. Mountain Pass still is a fucking camping shitshow and not even being touched yet again for the umpteenth time. Pilsen rework might be mildly interesting.

New polish tanks, don't care, don't want to grind them, I want the tanks in existence to be rebalanced.

As for the new personal mission chains, gonna see if they are good for anything, but I just suspect another time-hog which leads to the worst players having access to the new tanks far before any reasonable player can have them. So meh.

P.S.: Fuck the 279. Yet another promise broken. And nobody cares or raises a fuzz. Yet another sign of how the community degraded by so many of the old timers and good players having gone off and what's left is an apathetic mass of which I am part still, for all the wrong reasons.

Why am I playing this game? New missions are fun but maps are still shit. Tanks are all one flavor or shit. 

Until we'll get a decent patch, the game itself will be dead.

Polish is just an additional tree, nothing else, maps are still catastrophic.

Personal missions are better, or seems like. On the other hand, hence I'm playing mediums 90% of the time so I didn't even get the T55-A yet. So probably I could forget the 279 too, not that I'm that interested in it.

The playerbase is downgrading gradatim. I play a few tier 10 mediums to farm bots but eventually I get bored of that too.

If they bring back the mm that lasted for a month 4 patches ago, I would reconsider to play more, but I will start my PhD in september so probably I will spend more time in the library which is a better decision either way. :)

Yeah the complete lack of vehicle balance changes in this patch (so far anyway) has killed my interest in it.

4 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

P.S.: Fuck the 279. Yet another promise broken. And nobody cares or raises a fuzz. Yet another sign of how the community degraded by so many of the old timers and good players having gone off and what's left is an apathetic mass of which I am part still, for all the wrong reasons.

Ooooooooooooh, you've piqued my interest. What reasons? 

Remember the 279 is not the real 279, its the 726. WG just renamed it to 279 ”early” purely to increase hype or so, so people are still like ”OMG ITS THE 279”.

Patch itself looks good, I would say by far the best patch introduced in 2018; it’s just lack of balancing like said a couple of times already that is sad. There are so many tanks that are left behind and some tanks are still OP or just cancerous or both (430U, super conq, Type 4/5, bobject is still stupid, swedish TDs also deserve to die in a fire, etc etc and none of those seem to be reworked anytime soon). 

Polish tanks are really interesting and doesnt seem bad for the game or gamebreaking or anything, so thats a good thing. 60TP looks so cool and super fun to play, Im really excited, but you know me and how I love goofy and autistic looking tanks with bigass guns. Could be a go-to pubstomper for me thats also not a bento-box xd. Some of the midtiers seem bad, though, but rather that than powercreep tanks. Anyway, I will do a line review, as I will rush through it right from release day, just like I did with Swedish HTs. I’m just copypasting the one I will post on both official forums and Reddit, so I see no reason to not to add it here as well, even if...it’s a bit silent around here nowadays :P 

I have said it for long time but new tank lines is always a great addition, AS LONG as they are not gamebreaking, and these tanks are not gamebreaking. I have to be honest, since Italian patch, WG has actually done a good job with new tanks, especially top tiers. Object 277, Progetto 65 and now 60TP are all unique tanks that are strong and fun but still balanced and not cancerous. MAAAAYBEEE Murazor not being the balancehead anymore has to do something with that, hmmm... I have to say, that does give me slight hope when it comes to future tank changes. Bobject changes obviously werent the best possible, but Bobject isnt fixable, anyway. Just bring 263 back and buff it to bring it up to date.

PM 2.0 is obviously cool, altho its maybe slightly dissapointing. Arta missions are obviously cancer, cap missions are fucking retarded too. Nation specific missions are cool...I guess? Reward tanks are not much more interesting than first campaign, though. Excalibur is dumb as fuck and seems interesting statistically, so I could have fun with that, but Chimera and 279 are just...ehhh. Chimera is a tier 8 and seems like just a trash version of the 50TP that is faster and 279 is just...as generic as HT could be, with retarded armor layout thrown in that is unfun to use and unfun to play against.

Map changes and new maps...hmm. Province being gone from tier 8-10 makes this patch automatically decent, fuck that terrible abomination of a map and everyone who thought it would be a good design at tier 8-10 should be gassed. Mines changes wont fix the main issue of it in randoms, that is unbalanced hill, and it also doesnt change the fact that its just...ehh to play in hightiers, but maybe its a bit better now. Other map changes are...dunno. Glacier is still a fucking huge joke, I felt 0 gameplay differences.

I cant say much about new maps yet. Studzianki seems...okay? Pilsen also seems better than OG incarnation, but Minsk seems like Highway mashed with Stalingrad/Kharkov and is basically a map in which EVERYONE goes to that one corner into the most bigass corner corridor fight ever. Minsk has potential to be...awful. But I will never judge new maps before they hit live, because I actually made a huge mistake that Gaycier would end up being a good map, even though its absolutely terrible.

There are still shithole maps like Fishermans Bay and Fjords, sadly, although they are apparently changing the latter AGAIN in supertest, in which they actually seem to be touching the north area that was problematic.

Who knows. Now with Murazor no longer being the head, maybe the game could at least go into better direction instead of even worse. If only they fixed the tank balance, maps, retardproof armor + premium ammo and probably the main issue, 3-5-7 MM, maybe this game could be great again. But I guess thats good to be true. Meh. I’ll just enjoy the game when I still can (yes, im masochist, but I assume everyone knows that already) and then when its finally time I let it go. But im not worrying about that yet, I want the 60TP first.

They likely have a big balance update planned and will do it with the prem tank changes

I dont know why i still update this game every new patch, cause i just play 1-2 matches, and just move to other games mostly on PS4.  I think maps are reason i cant stay focused on tanks any more. On polish tanks i say yay, even tough i think that new tech trees are just distraction from real problems of this game.

On 8/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, RedwoodOriginal said:

I dont know why i still update this game every new patch, cause i just play 1-2 matches, and just move to other games mostly on PS4.  I think maps are reason i cant stay focused on tanks any more. On polish tanks i say yay, even tough i think that new tech trees are just distraction from real problems of this game.

Why do you have Mišo Kovač on your avatar? ^^

@leggasiini surprised you dislike Glacier, I actually like that map, one of the better new maps for a while, has an air of Prohk about it IMO and one of the few maps that you have options on. 

11 hours ago, tajj7 said:

@leggasiini surprised you dislike Glacier, I actually like that map, one of the better new maps for a while, has an air of Prohk about it IMO and one of the few maps that you have options on. 

I really hate it, its poorly designed IMO and really reminds me nothing from Prok except for the worst part of Proko and that is too much arty making the map much worse to play.

- middle is a massive clusterfuck. No cover from arty, near-impossible to run away as well and generally too flat. Prok middle is not super easy to run away, either, but once you are in a situation when you have to run (and that is when either the middle is collapsed or when the 1-2 line is collapsed) the game is very likely lost anyway. On Glacier, not only you have the middle, you have north flank, you have aircraft carrier, you have south, which are all possible reasons to run away, but you cant do it most of the time because of the design. 

- Heavy flank is really awfully designed, its literally impossible to avoid getting shot from the middle if someone just goes there. If there was an obvious idiot trap route that would attract, well...idiots (who would get punished), but in return you could kinda avoid get crossfired if you just go as far away as possible (but in return it takes longer to reach the flank), it would be fine. Think Lakeville. However, on Glacier, like said, its impossible to avoid and there is even a risk of dying from full HP if they have enough tanks and there is nothing you can do about it. No matter how close to the redline you go. There isnt even any cover. Or any dip. Nothing. Its almost Malinovka field levels of open. And you can even get shat on from multiple directions because of the middles design. One would argue that ”but you just dont go that flank, then”, but its not that bad once you reach it, and its one of the only places that gives arty cover.

- South is an overly narrow corridor that takes overly long to reach. Its not too bad though and its more or less the only place that actually feels ”safe” but the moment someone in his armored tank like Bobject goes there...yeah.

- arty shits on you on every relevant location so its utter hell the moment there is any arty

- has camping positons right next to the spawn which because of the map design can be surprisingly powerful. You can defend the cap, shoot heavies that try to push, shoot the LT who tries to yolo the aircraft carrier, and shoot the middle cus its fairly flat and has no real cover.

Prok is much, much better because you can actually hide (without sitting on spawn), the ridge gives you cover, you can be rather safe in the middle if you play intelligently, and you dont get cockblocked from random places like on Glacier. Prok is not perfect because its also awful if there is a lot of arty and/or a crapton of TDs, but at least without those its pretty good and every class are more than viable and have opportunities. On Glacier, you want to be in a hulldown mobileish tank with preferably good gun depression, or a TD. 

Maybe I’m wrong. I just find the map awful to play and its almost never ever fun to me. I’m not alone, couple of my friends find it awful as well. Only when there is no arty, no Swedish TDs, only a few TDs in general, and im a tank with good mobility and turret armor, it ”can” be okay. And that is...rarely. And even then its...ehh.

10 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Maybe I’m wrong. I just find the map awful to play and its almost never ever fun to me. I’m not alone, couple of my friends find it awful as well. Only when there is no arty, no Swedish TDs, only a few TDs in general, and im a tank with good mobility and turret armor, it ”can” be okay. And that is...rarely. And even then its...ehh.

I completely agree and I haven't seen such a good writeup about what is wrong, such as yours.

The middle is just a clusterfuck. It's an extremely important location to occupy, but at the same time it's a complete death-trap, regardless on if it's about getting there, getting away from there or just plain staying there and it's not a question of skill or clever approach, it's purely a question of whether arty gets you or any of the base-camping TDs accurately predicts where you poke out.

The north is great, except for two situations: Getting there or getting out of there. In those two situations it's crap, because, as legasiini pointed out, you'll get fucked by the middle and arty when going there and you'll get fucked after having won the engagement there, because there's still arty, because there's still the middle and now you also have to deal with the TD positions at the enemy spawn on both sides of the map no less.

The one area of the map where I like going to, in almost any tank, is the south, as the general area is somewhat isolated (to a limited degree) from the rest of the map, similar to the northern heavy spot. I often find enjoyable one on one fights there. But here you, once again, have to deal with the approaches to the enemy base on either side of the map, once you made it through. Covered in dozens of bushes, wide open attackable positions for basecamping TDs hidden behind the myriads of bushes and who can only be weeded out by suicidal spotting or if the middle of the map was somehow won and your scouts can make it through.

On this map, everything is won and lost in the middle and the middle is the one area of the map, that you absolutely do not want to go to, unless you have the perfect tank for it and the enemy doesn't. Well, that and base-bush-fagging Doomcannons.

I think some people like Glacier because it's both a map with big problems but also very close to being a good one. Small redesigns to the heavy brawl, giving mid escape routes and making heavy route safer (not 100% safe since mistakes still need to be punished) would make it decent.

15 hours ago, leggasiini said:

I really hate it, its poorly designed IMO and really reminds me nothing from Prok except for the worst part of Proko and that is too much arty making the map much worse to play.

- middle is a massive clusterfuck. No cover from arty, near-impossible to run away as well and generally too flat. Prok middle is not super easy to run away, either, but once you are in a situation when you have to run (and that is when either the middle is collapsed or when the 1-2 line is collapsed) the game is very likely lost anyway. On Glacier, not only you have the middle, you have north flank, you have aircraft carrier, you have south, which are all possible reasons to run away, but you cant do it most of the time because of the design. 

- Heavy flank is really awfully designed, its literally impossible to avoid getting shot from the middle if someone just goes there. If there was an obvious idiot trap route that would attract, well...idiots (who would get punished), but in return you could kinda avoid get crossfired if you just go as far away as possible (but in return it takes longer to reach the flank), it would be fine. Think Lakeville. However, on Glacier, like said, its impossible to avoid and there is even a risk of dying from full HP if they have enough tanks and there is nothing you can do about it. No matter how close to the redline you go. There isnt even any cover. Or any dip. Nothing. Its almost Malinovka field levels of open. And you can even get shat on from multiple directions because of the middles design. One would argue that ”but you just dont go that flank, then”, but its not that bad once you reach it, and its one of the only places that gives arty cover.

- South is an overly narrow corridor that takes overly long to reach. Its not too bad though and its more or less the only place that actually feels ”safe” but the moment someone in his armored tank like Bobject goes there...yeah.

- arty shits on you on every relevant location so its utter hell the moment there is any arty

- has camping positons right next to the spawn which because of the map design can be surprisingly powerful. You can defend the cap, shoot heavies that try to push, shoot the LT who tries to yolo the aircraft carrier, and shoot the middle cus its fairly flat and has no real cover.

Prok is much, much better because you can actually hide (without sitting on spawn), the ridge gives you cover, you can be rather safe in the middle if you play intelligently, and you dont get cockblocked from random places like on Glacier. Prok is not perfect because its also awful if there is a lot of arty and/or a crapton of TDs, but at least without those its pretty good and every class are more than viable and have opportunities. On Glacier, you want to be in a hulldown mobileish tank with preferably good gun depression, or a TD. 

I think it's one of the best maps they have put in a long time, I consistently have good games on it.

I have no issues with middle, you can escape to the side fairly easily or just shift round the corner a bit if you are getting heat from the carrier side using that big circular rock. You can also slip into the valleys and dips that side to protect from people pushing the narrow road but it's harder. You can dominate the game from the middle but it obviously depends on the people working the paths to the side which is why it reminds of prohk because there is middle/hill relationship going on there. Good synergy between the guys in the middle and the guys on that road usually wins the game. 

I also find it one of the least TD camping problematic maps around because almost all of the spots that overlook the middle you will spot the TDs and can quite easily wreck them as they have to sit in the open with no concealment. This usually forces them to back and camp into base and compared to, many base line TD camp spots those ones are not that useful as there is cover and ridges to approach those spots I have found. I find digging out the base camping bobs way easier on glacier than say Prohk, Malinovka, Cliff peninsular, Mines camping ledge etc. More cover, more approaches and less open ground to get there. 

The heavy side is a noob trap IMO, I never go there and I'll quite happily farm tanks that go there, IMO they deserve to get farmed for going to a useless flank that doesn't win you much (plus it's great to have another map where super heavies are very vulnerable as there should be more maps where super heavies are the worse class suited to the map to balance out all the corridor maps). Fast heavies will clear that gap pretty easily before the middle spots them from what I have seen,. 

Probably my main issue with the map is carrier, it's one of those stupid 'rush top' gamble spots that then has little counter, seen too many lights and meds just farm up there but you have to gamble you whole tank to try to get there.

Rest of the map though is good, would happily play it over 90% of the maps in the game. 

4 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

I think it's one of the best maps they have put in a long time, I consistently have good games on it.

I have no issues with middle, you can escape to the side fairly easily or just shift round the corner a bit if you are getting heat from the carrier side using that big circular rock. You can also slip into the valleys and dips that side to protect from people pushing the narrow road but it's harder. You can dominate the game from the middle but it obviously depends on the people working the paths to the side which is why it reminds of prohk because there is middle/hill relationship going on there. Good synergy between the guys in the middle and the guys on that road usually wins the game. 

I also find it one of the least TD camping problematic maps around because almost all of the spots that overlook the middle you will spot the TDs and can quite easily wreck them as they have to sit in the open with no concealment. This usually forces them to back and camp into base and compared to, many base line TD camp spots those ones are not that useful as there is cover and ridges to approach those spots I have found. I find digging out the base camping bobs way easier on glacier than say Prohk, Malinovka, Cliff peninsular, Mines camping ledge etc. More cover, more approaches and less open ground to get there. 

The heavy side is a noob trap IMO, I never go there and I'll quite happily farm tanks that go there, IMO they deserve to get farmed for going to a useless flank that doesn't win you much (plus it's great to have another map where super heavies are very vulnerable as there should be more maps where super heavies are the worse class suited to the map to balance out all the corridor maps). Fast heavies will clear that gap pretty easily before the middle spots them from what I have seen,. 

Probably my main issue with the map is carrier, it's one of those stupid 'rush top' gamble spots that then has little counter, seen too many lights and meds just farm up there but you have to gamble you whole tank to try to get there.

Rest of the map though is good, would happily play it over 90% of the maps in the game. 

Tajjj remember you play different tank than Lega.