Bavor

Nvidia RTX 20XX GPUs

33 posts in this topic

Today is the big reveal date.  However there have been a lot of details leaked.  Much more than before the release of the 10XX GPUs.

Supposedly these are the specs of the next generation Nvidia consumer gaming GPUs.  Supposedly, all of them are 30-50% faster than the previous generation of the same series.

8GhR1gu.jpg

The interesting thing to me is that if the GTX 2050 ti is 30-50% faster than the current version, that means current GTX 1060 performance in  a $150 MSRP price point.  That really lowers the entry price of 1080p gaming with high graphics settings.  Also the RTX 2080 ti should be able to handle 4k 60 FPS in some of the most demanding games now.

Also, what will AMD's response be?  Tests of the Vega 64 vs the GTX 1080 already shows that the GTX 1080 is 5-8% faster than the Vega 64 across a wide variety of games when both are both stock or overclocked.  All the info from AMD says they won't be releasing any new consumer/gaming GPUs until 2019.  Some info says that the next generation of AMD consumer/gaming GPUs will just be a die shrink others says it will be a new architecture and a die shrink.

"It's this many times faster than this blah blah blah"

Yeah, maybe at Ray Tracing. Let's see some actual benchmarks first before we get all hyped about all the BS Jensen spewed in his way too long presentation today. I'll happily wait until around Black Friday for my new PC build. SSD prices keep going down, GPU prices on the new cards should be a bit more normalized and with more stock available, Intel 9th gen will be here, and Ryzen had great deals last Black Friday.

I just checked European prices for the 2080Ti.  You're looking at around 1500 US dollars for a decent one.. fml....

2 hours ago, zbran said:

I just checked European prices for the 2080Ti.  You're looking at around 1500 US dollars for a decent one.. fml....

are you vanished from the game?:feelsbad:

2 hours ago, Vindi said:

are you vanished from the game?:feelsbad:

I'm as good as gone when you consider how many games I play these days. I was actually on last night for a couple of hours. Trying to grind through the Black Prince.  I just have no motivation for grinding anymore, it feels like work.  :-(

Ray Tracing (RT) will probably be industry standard in the near future and to have it working on a consumer card (albeit heavy performance hits) is a major milestone. And for those who aren't aware and may think
the cards are bad because it isn't running suitable frames with RT, the games used to demo the cards weren't for FPS performance showcases but rather HOW RT works and will be the standard to come. That
and RT isn't going to be in the base game upon release anyways and will be post-release (probably for optimization purposes).

I have no doubts that these cards will perform well and be worth the cost even with RT disabled given how Turing cards have basically made Volta (hence the lack of further release after the Titan V) and even servers obsolete.

Supposedly the RTX 2080 Timespy graphics score is 10030 and the GTX 1080 ti reference Timespy score is about 9500.  That's without the RTX's extra special cores being used and just the regular graphics core.

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK

https://i.imgur.com/GZsSImT.png

2 hours ago, Bavor said:

Supposedly the RTX 2080 Timespy graphics score is 10030 and the GTX 1080 ti reference Timespy score is about 9500.  That's without the RTX's extra special cores being used and just the regular graphics core.

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK

https://i.imgur.com/GZsSImT.png

Hmmm, that's about 36% in synthetic benchmark - although drivers are probably not really on point yet, then again I don't think Timespy would be too affected by drivers.

Honestly even if the performance surprises us all, I still can't get over the pricing. They just set a new pricing standard for xx70/80/80Ti, and I doubt future generations will go for less than this one. 

46 minutes ago, Marty said:

Honestly even if the performance surprises us all, I still can't get over the pricing. They just set a new pricing standard for xx70/80/80Ti, and I doubt future generations will go for less than this one. 

Nvidia is selling their cards for above MSRP. 

It looks like they got rid of the Titan for consumers and bumped the 2080 ti up to the titan level.  That's why it has the $1000+ US Price.

The 2080 MSRP isn't muchdifferent than the GTX 1080 MSRP when it was released 2+ years ago.

The 2070 MSRP isn't much different than the 1070 MSRP at launch 2+ years ago.

The only question is will any 3rd party manufacturers release a cheaper card for MSRP?

Nvidia said in the past they will release consumer 7nm chip cards in 2019.  If I upgrade it won't be until after 7nm GPU cards are released.  I plan to hold onto my 1080 ti for a while.

The only thing I really play anymore is WoT, and my GTX 970 is just fine for that, can't afford a new card now, so not going to splurge on one.

There will be 20XX cards at MSRP but it wont be until after launch. Asus have stated they have a design for MSRP.

Also have to remember GDDR6 > GDDR5 in terms of cost

20XX cards are looking better and better as initially suspected contrary to all the negativity from the masses.

If prices come down to the MSRP they promised on stage I may spring for a 2080 but if prices on 1080 Ti cards fall enough I may just settle for one of those instead, we'll see, I've got nothing but time and patience.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:43 PM, RollerCoaster47 said:

If prices come down to the MSRP they promised on stage I may spring for a 2080 but if prices on 1080 Ti cards fall enough I may just settle for one of those instead, we'll see, I've got nothing but time and patience.

I've seen used GTX 1080 ti's in eBay from reputable sellers for sub $550 already.  I wonder if they will drop to sub $500 soon.

There will be an overstock of 10XX cards due to the failed expectations from the mining craze and the AIBs all being under contract.

14 hours ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

I'd say the best bang-for-your--buck card right now is 1080 - it's fairly regularly on sale for ~400$, and EVGA occasionally sells cards w/o retail box, they had a sale like that yesterday too - 350$

Also keep an eye out on that subreddit, lots of good deals if you're from US.

If you think that RT has any relevance for gaming in the next 2-3 years beside 2-3 prestige projects sponsored by NV and therefor you should pay a premium, go out and preorder now. You probably also believe in astrology and nothing can help you anyway. The amount of dedicated RT-hardware on that chip is not big enough to power a game at reasonable resolution and FPS, especially considering that all game engines are also new to this whole thing and need to be optimized/rewritten and game devs to need to learn how to use that shit. Atm the whole RT thing might be good enough to power an additional effect here and there (see PhysX or hairworks in the past).

DICE managed to hit 1080p 60~ish fps on whatever hardware Nvidia supplied in their playable BFV demo.

I'd really like to know what exactly that hardware is though.